Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

856597 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 297 Previous Next
  • munecadef Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Aug 16, 2010 9:10 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

i've been running since november and i prefer to call myself an ultra jogger at just shy of a 15mm.  i used to read the penguin when i was younger and in better shape.  now i just think about him and the tortoise (of the tortoise and the hare) when i'm running, "slow and steady wins the race".  i run for the health and fun of it.  proof is that i hung out at the water stations at my last race (5m) because it was hot and the volunteers were friendly, lol!  now i'm training for a 1/2 marathon.  i'm the slowest in the group.  at first it was disheartening now i find it to be exactly what i need.  plus i'm built for distance so we'll see how all the speeders compare when we hit the double digit mileage

• munecadef Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    61. Aug 16, 2010 9:14 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

static stretching isn't recommended for the warm up.  you want dynamic stretching and my achilles and shins agree with that!

• annrose Amateur 3 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    62. Aug 16, 2010 11:53 PM (in response to Donna914)

Wow, this is a great thread with some great experiences shared!  I have enjoyed reading John Bingham "the Penguin's" articles in Runners World magazine over the past few years while I have tried to get into running as a 40-something mom of two daughters whose participation in cross country and track looked so fun that I had to start trying to go beyond walking.  After a few years of easing from walking into jogging, I was finally able to mostly jog, and in June of 2009, I completed a 5K in a time of 31:22--my best so far.  I would love to do a 5K in under 30 minutes, but as that means averaging around a 9:30 minute mile, I don't know if it will ever be possible as time (aging) is against me!  I sometimes get envious of people who can easily run sub 10 minute miles, while that kind of pace is a hard workout for me.  I took a couple of group running classes and still occasionally hook up with the coach and others from the class, and sometimes find someone about my pace, and other times, everyone is leaving me in the dust! (puff, puff, puff!) When I was in fourth grade, Physical Education ("P. E.") started for the first time, and I found that I was one of the slowest runners of the girls in my grade...except for one girl who was really, really, really, really slow!  One time (somewhere between grades 6 and 8), the P. E. teacher timed us racing a short distance in pairs, and he put me with this super slow girl.  I had gotten in trouble back in 4th grade by complaining she was too slow when she somehow was leading all the girls in a line through the field and everyone was held up.  So when we started this little race, I decided to run just fast enough to stay slightly ahead of her.  When we finished, the teacher stopped the stopwatch with a funny look on his face!  Also in 4th grade, I would run with two girl friends at recess, and they always beat me!  And in the higher grades, we were timed to see how fast we could run 50 yards (the "50-yard dash").  A lot of the girls could get times of 7 seconds or less.  My time was always about 8 seconds, until one day I was determined to decrease my time.  Trouble was, I tried so hard that I tripped and fell!  The teacher let me start over, however, and this time I managed to run without falling, and I did it--got my time under 8 seconds!

Now as I approach middle age, I am again trying to set new PRs!  Just have to be careful, though.  Sometimes my back hurts (and other things, like my adductors) if I run too long or too hard.  Also, I could get too caught up in trying to be a better runner that I forget to have fun!  I wish I could start a "penguin club" around here, so we slow pokes could get together and just enjoy being able to move--our own kind of "runner's high!"

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    63. Aug 17, 2010 5:52 AM (in response to annrose)

munecadef,  no worries here about who is fastest or has the longest distance.  I was just reading about how women typically are winners in multi-day, endurance kinds of work, while men, who usually have stronger physiques, tend to take the prizes in sprint and shorter-distances.  Fascnating!

annrose, have you checked for a local club?  My local running club is genuinely and truly very friendly and open to walkers as well as runners.  Every email that I get from them about training runs, includes encouragement for new people, walkers, and such, to come out, that nobody gets left behind.  I think that this thread on CoolRunning is also pretty encouraging proof that even faster, more-trained and more-competitive folks are HAPPY to have new runners joining along, and the records are, after all, called PERSONAL records.  We each of us are just competing against ourselves.

Okay, gotta "suit up" and go run!  See ya later everyone!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• johnsosa Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    64. Aug 17, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to Donna914)

Just wanted everyone to know that when you are running distances be sure to carry your cell phone with you.  I went for a long run today alone, and fell.  I got hurt pretty bad, all banged up, but thankfully nothing brokine.  I was 5 miles away from home, and on a road with traffic.  It took me quite awhile to pick myself up, and not one car stopped to see if I was ok.  Next time, I will carry my cell phone for sure.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    65. Aug 17, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to johnsosa)

John, I'm sorry to read that. I'm glad nothing is broken but I suspect you're some shaken up & can expect to be pretty stiff & sore tomorrow. Take it easy for a bit!

Your advice is excellent. I don't have a cell but carry my health insurance card & a card with my name, address & phone # so family can be called if I splat on the road or something.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• annrose Amateur 3 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    66. Aug 17, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to BowieLinda)

Linda - Sounds like you've found a great running (and walking) club!  There are some options in my area, including a running club, people I've met in the community running classes, etc....it's a matter of finding those with a similar pace and coordinating schedules that kind of complicates things a little.  What is a convenient day and time for some people, isn't for others.  One thing I haven't tried is 9 a.m. Saturday training (or just-for-fun) runs with the aforementioned running club that puts on three to four 5k/10k races per year as fundraisers.  I've participated in their races, but haven't made it to the Saturday morning runs, I guess, because it's farther from my home than my usual running spot.  Just will have to mark the calendar and try to make it sometime in hopes of meeting some new, possibly slower-paced runners!

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    67. Aug 17, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to johnsosa)

Sorry to hear you fell, John..that sucks. I hope your ok. I have noticed that now a days no one helps anyone anymore. And the kids now, geesh..I don't even want to get into that! LOL
    I'll be sure to bring my cell phone from now on..!

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• Catherine Dabee Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    68. Aug 18, 2010 4:56 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Everyone,   Just discovered this blog.  I, too, am a slow running Penguin, but I have found that, as a group, we rock!   I started running 10 years ago at the age of 55.  Now I'm 64, still slow and still going.  While it does take me a while, I have done quite a few half-marathons and still hope to do my first marathon.  Maybe next year.  I discovered John Bingham at the beginning and had the pleasure to meet him at a Sports Expo a few years ago. He is inspirational and I recommend any of his books for a beginner. 'No Need for Speed' should be required reading for any new and uncertain runner. My secret has always been the inspirational group I run with.  Many of us started together in a Beginner running class for women only. I still run with several of these women. I am the oldest, but they encourage me, they wait for me when I need a walk,  and  they keep me going through the bad weather and the aches and pains. I've been inspired by all of them.  I know all of you feel much the same and I wish you all the success in the world.

• Ben C Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    69. Aug 18, 2010 5:19 AM (in response to Katweb44)

I'm a penguin and I've been running for a couple of years.  I've even finished a marathon.  There have been many struggles...mostly shin splints.  I finally went to a Dr. and physical therapy.  Turns out, I just have really tight calves.  I stretch out faithfully for 30 min. after each run and I haven't had problems for a few months.

• Kimbre43 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 19, 2009
    70. Aug 18, 2010 6:32 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hey Penguins!

Was reading the bit about carrying ID and as a newbie runner, I was not aware of this until I read it on a blog somewhere.  If you haven't heard of the Road ID, you should check it out!  I don't run outside without mine now as it holds all your important information.  Someone said on the site "It is your voice when you cannot speak" or something like that.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    71. Aug 18, 2010 7:09 AM (in response to Kimbre43)

I second the motion on wearing a Road ID.  I know more than one cyclist who fell on a solo training ride and wasn't able to communicate orally.  Their Road IDs allowed paramedics to learn their names and call their families, as well as identify relevant medical conditions.  It costs about $20 plus a little for shipping and is well worth it.  Mine gives my name, city and state, phone numbers and some pertinent medical information.  I keep it in my running shoe so I can't fail to put it on before I go out. 

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Kristykritter Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    72. Aug 18, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to Donna914)

Love the name!  I am currently running a 14:00 mile for about 6 miles.  I had a moment of insanity and agreed to do a 1/2 marathon in November in Philly.  I will be really happy to keep a 14:00 mile for 13+ miles, but it's going to be hard.  I know they have the "Couch to 5K" program, do they have anything to help you train for a half marathon????

• Joy_C Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    73. Aug 18, 2010 2:23 PM (in response to Donna914)

What a great thread! It's nice to see other "Penguins" online. I wonder how long I can call myself a newbie? I've had a few starts and stops.   I'm a 26 y.o. female, and tend to be around 10 lbs over my comfortable weight. I like running for the physical benefits as well as mental. I know I just feel better all around when I'm running regularly. I did a few 5K's early this year, with my best time around 37 minutes, doing a mix of walk/run. Then in April I started having bad enough shin pain and hip pain that I went to see an orthopedist and do so physical therapy. I should mention I was born with double hip dysplasia which required braces for my first 6 months, but no major effects after. My hip joints are a little weird though, and I think the stress of running just brings out my inherent weaknesses. Anyway, the orthopedist had me stop running for 2 weeks then start PT, which I've been working on now since early May. They let me start running a bit again a few weeks ago. I think part of my mistake is the desire to add too much too quickly. I am trying not to repeat that mistake, and the therapist is also trying to help me find a good shoe/insole support combo which should help in tandem with strengthening exercises. We've been working a lot on balance and ab and glute strengthening. Those areas are something to keep in mind for anyone starting out running - don't make the mistake of slacking off on strength training like I tend to! She's been having me do things like lunges (maybe adding in a twist while holding a medicine ball), bridges, and the deceptively simple "stand on one foot and reach for the ground with the opposite hand".You don't really have to have any equipment to do a lot of these, so they're great for someone who just runs at home or outside, like I mostly do.

So I've been putting in a few 1 - 2 mi runs a week, and my pace ends up being around 18-20 mm (though that includes warmup/cooldown, and some of my dog's potty stops if I forget to pause the Nike+ ), alternating running and walking. I really like MotionTraxx music mixes to help keep pace. The 145BPM Endless Summer mix is great, and I've been using the Jeff Galloway 1 min walk/ 1 min run mix a lot too. I'm hoping to be able to do another 5K in another month or two, and maybe the Philadelphia Rothman Institute 8K in November (in conjunction with the Philadelphia Marathon, which I def will NOT be ready for this year! haha). I would also really like to build up to longer running to walking ratios, though I noticed that my shins started hurting again when I was trying to push it to 2 min running intervals. More strengthening to go yet, I guess! Ideally I'll be able to do a 10 min/mi pace someday. I think that's a way off, but a girl can dream.

I didn't read every post in the thread, but I skimmed most of them. I saw some mention of stretching. Research has shown that static stretching prior to running can actually be detrimental, and it's best to do some dynamic stretching beforehand, and then a good static stretch after your run. A quick Google search for "dynamic stretching for runners" reveals lots of articles, as well as YouTube videos for dynamic stretches to try. They can be pretty fun (if a little silly looking).

Happy waddling, everyone!

"My sport is your sport's punishment" - Unknown

5/1/2011 Broad Street (10 mi) 2:18:52 (chip)

7/14/2011 BMRC Midsummer Night 5K (2nd in series) 35:09

9/18/2011 Philadelphia Rock'n'Roll 1/2 Marathon 2:34:57 (chip)

11/20/2011 PHILADELPHIA MARATHON! Goal: 5:30:00

• Joy_C Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    74. Aug 18, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to Kristykritter)

Good for you, Kristykritter! Check out http://www.johnbingham.com/training.html. There are several different marathon training plans under that heading. Good luck on your training and wtg on taking the leap!

"My sport is your sport's punishment" - Unknown

5/1/2011 Broad Street (10 mi) 2:18:52 (chip)

7/14/2011 BMRC Midsummer Night 5K (2nd in series) 35:09

9/18/2011 Philadelphia Rock'n'Roll 1/2 Marathon 2:34:57 (chip)

11/20/2011 PHILADELPHIA MARATHON! Goal: 5:30:00

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...