Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14160 Views 68 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2010 11:46 AM by CouchVeg Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • PHXMama Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 17, 2010 8:56 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)
    Re: Starting C25K Aug 16th. Anyone else?

Hi Shelby,

I started yesterday too! 

I did C25K last year, starting this exact same time of year, to train for a 5K last November.  I had not done any form of exercise before that for about 10 years, so was really starting from scratch, and at my highest weight ever.  I made it all the way through the program, but have to confess that even though I was able to run the full 30 minutes by the end of the C25K program, I had to walk parts of the actual race.  I finished in 35 minutes, which achieved my goal of finishing under 40 minutes and not being last!  I went on to walk a 1/2 marathon in January.  Then life happened, and I stopped running, but I miss that feeling of accomplishment that running gave me.  I'm tired of being tired!  (Not to mention not being in the best shape)  So now I am very humbly starting from scratch again, with a 5K in October in my sights, and run/walking the 1/2 marathon in January.

So last night was W1D1 all over again.  The first half wasn't bad, but the second half was tough!  It is 100 and humid here right now, so that adds to it.  I used the C25K app on my iPhone and it was awesome!  Last year I used a sports watch, which was a pain because I just kept looking at it to see where I was, and last night I had a little voice saying "Walk!" then "Run!"... never was I more glad to hear "Walk!" than in the last few minutes of that session!

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    16. Aug 17, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to Stardust777)

Stardust, this 49 year old body was SHAPED like a couch. As much as I wanted to, (I'm an impatient, instant gratification type), the first two weeks I did nothing more than walk on my rest days. My body was having a tough enough time adjusting to moving faster than a walk & threatened to sue me if I pushed it too hard, too fast. And talk about TIRED - the new activity made me FEEL good about myself but my body seemed to be in open revolt. It seemed I was gettign massive attacks of the sleepies every few hours

By the end of the second week, my body realized it was going to have to do this every few days & stopped throwing tantrums. The stiffness & sorness faded, as did the fatigue. I've added 3 days, (non-running days), of strength training using 3 sets of very low weights. I'm really skinny & have no upper body strrength so that's working well for me. I've also added some stretching exercises but I have no idea what I'm doing there & need to do some reading & put together a proper stretching program. I've found over the weeks as my legs tone up, the muscles are TIGHT.

I'm still constantly battling the urge to do more, more, more on the basis of "If this much is having these great rsults, adding more will give me fantastic results". My brain wants to think that; I suspect my muscles & joints would have a very different point of view! So I'm reining myself in & simply trying to be patient. I've got this far, (one last day of W6 left), without injuries or any setbacks & I want to keep it that way. I don't have an athletic background & my 'knowledge' of running is limited to what reading I've done & the very little experience I've got. So it's in MY best interests to followthe program the way it's set up.

Now I've got to figure out what comes after C25K for me to prep for an end October 5K race.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• jaycih Pro 67 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    18. Aug 18, 2010 4:34 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

Good Morning all!  I did W1D2 yesterday in the midst of testing what I can do in three miles.  It wore me out!  My husband followed because it was dark and I didn't want the boogy man or animal to get me.  He's great!  I am going to try and bike or use my elliptical in between workouts.  I did 3 mile in 45 mins last night, but I have a lot of work to do.  At least now i know what I can and what I need to do.  Breathing hurt last night and I got out of breath quickly.  Kinda worried about that.  Have a good week!

• tori29 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    19. Aug 18, 2010 7:50 PM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

I finished Day 2 of Week 1. My feet are hurting, especially my right arch. I'm hoping to have enough $ to pick up a pair of running shoes (there's a running store nearby, and I'm excited about being fitted for something specific to my needs) before I experience an injury. I started the C25K program last summer, but had to quit due to a knee injury 3 weeks in. No quitting this time!

• Stardust777 Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    21. Aug 20, 2010 4:45 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

W1 is done!!!

I feel so awesome!! Today was better than wednesday and my body feels fantastic. I've been really mindful of my form and I don't have much shin pain at all.

ChiRunning is awesome!

C25K is Awesome!

C25K started 8/16/10

Age 35

Goal: To be proud of myself!

• PHXMama Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 20, 2009
    22. Aug 20, 2010 10:46 AM (in response to Stardust777)

I am so bummed.  I had to miss W1D2.  We had our state Senator come speak to our employees at a town hall that I had to organize in 2 days, complete with CNBC coverage, and it was a planning nightmare,  I got home Wednesday and just collapsed.  I REALLY should have run anyway.  But I didn't.  Then, I lost my partner for tonight, which was supposed to be W1D3.  I am going to do it on my own, and try to squeeze in another this weekend to make up for the lost day.  The tough thing is that if I do it alone I have to go earlier, and the heat is much worse.  I hate making excuses and need to just get out there and do it though.  Ugh.

Exhausted in Phoenix

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever

• mkowens Amateur 14 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    23. Aug 20, 2010 12:05 PM (in response to PHXMama)

Looks like we are all off to a good start!  W1D2 was great yesterday!  We are having a stretch of fantastic morning weather here in NH so this morning I went for a bike ride.  I'm trying to not do the same old thing on the off days. 

What is everyone using for interval timers?  I hate looking down at my watch every 15 seconds. I just ordered a vibrating interval trainer from Amazon. I think it might help to not know when the timer is going to go off.

There are several 5Ks to choose from in NH for the end of Oct. I just need to find a buddy to do it with. Hubby says he's going to start exercising next week so maybe......

Have a great weekend.

• MomOnTheRunAgain Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 14, 2010
    24. Aug 20, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

Hi everyone, I originally joined the "start August 14" post, but didn't start until august 18!  So here I am.  Just finished W1D2.  Had shin splints after day one  and hip pain after D1, but did a lot of toe tapping and stretching, and D2 workout did not have pain.  I have been at the gym so run seems a bit easy right now in breathing, but I am using muscles that seem new!  I have a 10k in October, but am realistic to know that I will be walking a portion of it.  I was a runner in my 20s, but its been 15 years, and 2 children and 70lbs later, so my challenge is to pace myself and not expect that I can put on my sneakers and run 5 miles from the start!

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly.

-- Mabel Newcomber

• CouchVeg Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    25. Aug 21, 2010 4:51 AM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

Finished W1D3 last night.  Has been pretty easy so far, but I had been doing some serious walking prior to starting the program.

Looking forward to next week!

Jerry

C25K Completed!

45 Years Young!!

I cant help growing old, but I refuse to grow up!

Aug 14, 2010
    26. Aug 21, 2010 4:53 AM (in response to mkowens)

I downloaded some interval podcasts.  On itunes library just search "couch to 5k" and there are several.  I also found some steady beat workout music which I am going to try when I am on the elyptic.  The couch to 5k interval training by weeks are great.  Not fully my choice of music but the beat makes it easy to pace, and the built in chime to let you know when to switch from walking to running to walking is priceless!  And priceless, that is what the cost is, the downloads are free!

-- Mabel Newcomber

• mkowens Amateur 14 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    27. Aug 21, 2010 5:37 AM (in response to MomOnTheRunAgain)

Thanks for the great tip, Momontherun. I'm going to check out the podcasts. Checking my watch constantly is driving me crazy.

Just finished W1D3 and it feels GREAT to have that behind me. Bonus, I lost two pounds this week. 

I think I will take Sunday off from everything. My body seems very sore and tired. I don't want to over do or injure myself. 

Can't wait to see how Monday goes!  Have a great weekend everyone.

Aug 14, 2010
    28. Aug 22, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to ShelbyinMontana)

Finished Week 1, Yeah!  And I lost 3 pds!!!

I feel great.  Having the interveral pod cast makes it so easy!  Again did the toe taps, advil and stretching and shin splints did not return.  Since it was raining I went to the indoor YMCA track.  My 9 year old joined me and after running we had some fun doing sit-ups, jump rope and yoga ball work. 

Week 2, Day 1 set for Tuesday.  I hope everyone else is doing well!

-- Mabel Newcomber

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points