Skip navigation

574 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2010 5:46 PM by Lou_B RSS
Steve__225 Rookie 6 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2010 7:11 AM

When can we practice?

Just wondering if other leagues are in the same boat as us. The district team will be selected on June 15 and our first game is on June 25. That leaves us 9 days to practice. We have conflicts with the last 2 days of our regular season on the 16th and 17th so if I somehow squeeze a practice in on those 2 days I will have a partial team. I can have a full team on the 18th. Then on the 19th, 20th and 22nd we have conflicts with our league playoffs. So basically there are 4 days where I will hopefully have a full team for practice. How does someone who works 9-5 get it done!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jun 6, 2010 8:39 AM (in response to Steve__225)
    Re: When can we practice?

What age group?

The reason I ask is if it is the 9-10 or 10-11 and your tournament starts on June 25th you can start practice on June 11th (14 days prior to the tournmanent start date).

If it's majors then you can't start until June 15th.

I'm a bit surprised your league would not "end" by then (which is why you have conflicts past that date).

That's a local league decision and can't be resolved at this point (at least for this year).

As for your work schedule, again, it is what it is.  That said, there should be more people than just you.  Why can't the other coaches hold a practice without you?

One more comment - you said your tournament starts on June 25th.

Again, assuming this is majors, the approved Start Date is June 28th.

Does your District have a Waiver to start on the 25th !!!

What's the rush to start Districts so early - especially since the next level of play (Sectionals) doesn't start until July 23rd?

Heck you could wait to start untill July 6th and still have 15-16 days to hold your District Tournament!!!

LL Tournament Dates

May 25, 2007
    3. Jun 6, 2010 3:42 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Even a 21 team double elimination (40 or 41 games) shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to play.

In fact, if you have enough fields you can do it in 10-11 days (and that's without anyone playing a double header)!!!

Day 1 - 8 games

Day 2 - 7 games

Day 3 - 7 games

Day 4 - 6 games

Day 5 - 5 games

Day 6 - 2 games

Day 7 - 2 games

Day 8 - 1 game

Day 9 - 1 game

Day 10 - 1 game

Day 11 - "if game"

We have 12 teams that we split into two pools of 6.  Each team gets to play 5 games (no two and bar-b-que).

Top two teams from each pool advance to the Semi-Finals, winners then play for the District Title.

That's 33 games and we do it in about a week and a half.

So, again, what's the rush?

If you start on July 6th you've still got over two weeks for your District Tournament.

Obviously you don't set the schedule but I would advise you to talk to your league President so that MAYBE next year they'll schedule the District Tournament start date a little later.

Good Luck in the Tournament.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Jun 7, 2010 6:43 AM (in response to Lou_B)

At one time our/my District had 19 Chartered leagues.

We always started W-port T-play 1st week in July-[no games 4th of July--day before &  day after the 4th]-used Sundays for re-scheduled games. Double elimination format.

BTW---good spot to mention new rule, 2010, not in the rulebook; passed by Congress.

Practice/scrimmage games venue sites  have been expanded to include neighboring CONTIQUOUS LL districts. All other rules/guidelines governing practices/scrimmages still in place.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    5. Jun 7, 2010 7:01 AM (in response to Frank_B)

I agree Frank.

I'm not sure why Districts "rush" to get their Tournaments started/completed.

I guess the District Staff just wants to get their vacations started!

What's better, giving all the teams an extra week to practice or having the District Winner sitting around for an extra week waiting for Sectionals to start?

It's going to be a busy summer around here.

After Districts we are hosting the Softball Sectionals and then the State of Florida LL (Major) Baseball Tournament.

We were asked if we'd like to host the Junior Regionals but it's too much work and way too much money !!!

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Jun 7, 2010 11:48 AM (in response to Steve__225)

What's the rush to start Districts so early - especially since the next level of play (Sectionals) doesn't start until July 23rd?

Lou, I'm curious about the linked schedule you posted.  Since when did it become a hard-fast requirement to follow it?

Reason I ask, our Majors State tournament starts on July 16th.  We don't do Sectionals in Virginia.  And our District tourney starts on June 26th.  I don't recall any discussion at our District meetings where we had to get a waiver approved to start our tourney before June 28th.

May 25, 2007
    7. Jun 7, 2010 12:04 PM (in response to Lou_B)

I know that we discuss this schedule at our State DA Association Meeting.

We are told that if you want to start "earlier" than the Posted (Approved) Start Date then you need approval from the Region/Williasmport.

Why would LL Post the Dates/Schedules if the DA could just start the Tournament whenever he/she wants?

May 25, 2007
    8. Jun 7, 2010 1:56 PM (in response to Lou_B)

We don't do Sectionals in Virginia

So all 16 District Winners move on to the State Tournament?

Seems to me that could end up costing the local leagues a good bit of money (travel plus expenses for what sounds like a pretty long tournament - 16 teams)!!!

Are the Tournaments single or double elimination or pool play?

How long do they normally last?

I see that in 2010 several of the State Tournaments are not centrally located (two in District 13 and one in District 8 - hope it's not across the bridge !!

• Mark_S Pro 70 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Jun 7, 2010 3:13 PM (in response to Mark_S)

Lou

Yes in VA all 16 District winners go to State.  4 Pools of 4, play Fri/Sat/Sun.  For the last two years top two from each pool (8 total) advance to Single elimination.  Championship game is on Wed.

Assuming the weather cooperates!

This year LL 11-12 is in extreme SW VA, long drive for those from No VA.

May 25, 2007
    10. Jun 7, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to Mark_S)

+This year LL 11-12 is in extreme SW VA, long drive for those from No VA. +

My point exactly!

You have to drive all the way across the state for a 6-7 day tournament.

Just think of the money saved if your state had Sections.

You'd have 4 "Local Districts" playing in a weekend tournament (probably not much travel/cost).

Then the Winner would travel to the State Tournament.

Big savings for 3 of the Districts.

Multiply that by how may Divisions there are and bingo - it could add up to real money !!!

This year LL 11-12 is in extreme SW VA, long drive for those from No VA.

True, but the Senior Tournament is in the extreme east part of the state so that's long drive from those in the west!!!

May 25, 2007
    11. Jun 7, 2010 3:54 PM (in response to Lou_B)

I don't recall any discussion at our District meetings where we had to get a waiver approved to start our tourney before June 28th.

Manny;  I think DA did ask for and get approval from Region for the early start given early report dates for States.

May 25, 2007
    12. Jun 7, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Lou_B)

My point exactly!
    You have to drive all the way across the state for a 6-7 day tournament.
    Just think of the money saved if your state had Sections.

Lou;

A couple of comments:

- Same four Districts always play each other in Section every year.  Currently, it is a random draw for the pools each year.

- Some Sections (if we used them) would historically be much stronger than others.

- We have 5 District boundaries within an hour drive of my house  You can't get across some of the Districts in that time.

- Many of the Districts cover significantly larger areas than others so travel to Sectionals would still likely be required except here in No VA.

- Once a team is eliminated they can go home (most do).

May 25, 2007
    13. Jun 7, 2010 5:46 PM (in response to Mark_S)

Are you saying that if the state were broken into 4 sections (for example):

Section 1: Districts 1, 11, 12 and 13

Section 2: Districts 5, 6, 7 and 8

Section 3: Districts 2, 3, 14 and 15

Section 4: Districts 4, 9, 10 and 16

that it wouldn't be "cheaper" for most (all) of the leagues to play a Sectional Tournament with only the Sectional Winners going on to the State Tournament than it is for all of the District Champs to travel to the State Tournament (whever that might be)?

Again, it's your state and your leagues so who am I to tell you what to do.

All I'm saying is if I were a League President sending teams out all over the state year after year I might be looking for some way to save some of the money !!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...