Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2481 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2010 7:48 PM by Rich_Ives
Michael__788 Expert 46 posts since
Jul 26, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2010 4:13 PM

"Perfect game" in other than MLB?

We already know how rare it is for a pitcher to throw a "perfect game" in MLB, as the Oakland A'S Dallas Braden was only the 19th to accomplish this amazing feat on May 9, 2010. My question to the many great minds on Eteamz is this: How rare is this in divisions OTHER than MLB? For example:

College?

High School?

Pony?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• RogerK Rookie 6 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 15, 2010 4:52 PM (in response to Michael__788)
    Re: "Perfect game" in other than MLB?

It's extremely rare at all age divisions and levels.  In 11 years associated with Little League I have never seen one.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. May 15, 2010 7:48 PM (in response to RichW)

In 32 seasons coaching LL

Been in three  (1-2).  (In the two losses we were struck out for 35 of the 36 outs. In the win we actually had fielding plays. The losses were regular season. The win was a all-star "B" team game.)

Seen others.

The farther down the food chain you go the more likely they are.

• bluezebra Pro 84 posts since
    May 26, 2000
    3. May 15, 2010 7:56 PM (in response to RogerK)

If you count high school softball, I was the PU on two "perfectos". One was in a playoff game.

Sarge

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    4. May 15, 2010 11:23 PM (in response to bluezebra)

One of the kids in our LL pitched a perfect game in all-stars. My daughter's high school softball teammate pitched a few perfectos in high school and travel. She pitched in college. The issue with a perfect games at the lower age groups is pitching control and fielding.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. May 16, 2010 4:35 AM (in response to TG.)

I'm sure they happen plenty of times in amateur ball.  I've umpired in a few; in fact, I've seen two this season in high school softball.  One game only went five innings, but the other went the full seven.

There have been a few in the LL World Series.  In fact, there's a movie currently out named "Perfect Game" about the Monterrey, MX team that won the LLWS in 1957 with a perfecto in the championship.

• Sportzdadof5 Expert 38 posts since
    Nov 17, 2008
    6. May 16, 2010 7:38 AM (in response to Manny_A)

In high school, my son was one pitch away from a perfect game.  Only hit against him came in the last inning...was a litle bloober over the second baseman's head.  Second baseman dove and just about caught it.

My son had 14 strike outs in that game.

Was a fun game to watch (for our side anyway)

• oldhardballer Legend 787 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. May 16, 2010 10:54 AM (in response to Sportzdadof5)

Rather an open ended question wouldnt you say?  Are you speaking in a season, in a period of years, decades or what?   Im gonna guess anyways:   10/23/18/ and 7 for Michael.  

• RichW Pro 129 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. May 17, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to oldhardballer)

I was BU for a good one last year.  The top two teams in the league were tied for first place, and as luck would have it they were scheduled to face each other in the last game of the season.  The both saved their best pitchers for the game.

The visitors scored in the top of the first, and after that both pitchers were in cruise control.  The visiting pitcher threw a perfect game, and I'm guessing the home team pitcher threw a 3-hitter at most.

Until the end of the game, I didn't realize the one kid threw a perfect game, though it did strike me that I was spending an awful lot of time in A during that game.

- RichW

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...