Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2226 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2010 7:03 PM by FARTLEK_MAN RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2002 11:43 AM

Need 3200m Help!!!!

Hi all. I ran my first ever indoor meet at ESU last nite, and I was in the 3200. My goal was a time of 11:20. I figured that I'd be able to achieve it since I ran an 11:49 at mid season last year at an invitational, and I had done so much running since that I was ready to make a big improvement. My coach and I did the breakdown of splits and figured out what I would have to run each lap to get the right time. My first mile was right on target with a 5:39, but my second mile was absolutely horrible! I ended up with a 12:00 for the two mile. Now I know I could do better than that. I'm not sure whether it was the stuffy atmosphere of the indoor track, or whether I just haven't been running the right kind of runs. I need some advice for that second mile. What type of training can I do? What sort of mindset should I keep? Please help me!

-Dash

• swedechick Legend 1,194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 12, 2002 12:11 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Need 3200m Help!!!!

I thought this was the track forum.

yeah, the last mile in the 3200 is always the one that gets to me. I'm listening for any advice too.

• Kypie24 Pro 193 posts since
    Mar 23, 2001
    2. Jan 12, 2002 12:55 PM (in response to Guest )

I find for myself that distance runs and tempos are a good way to help out that second mile.  Sometimes you have to think about the 3200 as a two mile run rather than 8 400s.  Also a workout that may help alot would be a 3 mile pace run which is 12 laps with a pace of 90 seconds a lap.  This is kinda slow, so if you feel that you can do the 3 miles without slowing down past 90 per lap, you could always try doing it at 85. Really, there is nothing wrong with being below the pace, but if you ever fall more than 15 seconds over, take a break and start again once the next 90 second window comes.  (i.e. You are running and 20 seconds behind the pace. Step off of the track and wait 70 seconds.  At this next 90 second window, you start the next lap.)  But if this happens, don't stop at 12 laps, but rather at the 18 minute mark as long as you ran the whole workout as hard as you can.  This workout helps alot.  You could even run this as a 4 mile pace if you wished.  Same guide as the 3, just longer.

Another thing you could do to help out if you are mainly a 3200 guy (not running 800s or 1600s extremely great to focus on them), you could run on a 5k course. 1000 meter repeats around 3.15 to 3.45 This is also a good workout I found that could help me.

Umm, I am also going to suggest running 3 to 4 mile fartleks. I guess that a time in the mid 18s and low 25s for the 3 and 4 mile runs respectively if not faster! With strengthening your last mile, distance and especially quality is a big factor. Put what you have to on your scheduled days and pour it on as hard as you can, but make sure to rest on those rest days. I hope this is somewhat helpful. ~Kyle

----

With so many hopes, dreams, and goals, how can one stay focused?

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 12, 2002 2:06 PM (in response to Guest )

I'll try that. the 3200 is a tricky event.

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    4. Jan 12, 2002 8:14 PM (in response to Guest )

krypie is right, you need to get the distance & tempo runs in. try to alter the tempo of your runs so that you begin easy, and gradually pick it up. also get in some long intervals on the track, like anything 800 and up. and try to focus on keeping the pace fairly even, and juicing it up slightly at the end. stuff like this is great for boosting endurance, and it will get you used to running faster as the race progresses.
    sounds like you definitly have the potential to run faster. could be something mental, the 3200 is a very tough mental race. just gotta take things one lap at a time, and stay focused. try to let the pack pull you along at the beginning, and just pick them off one by one. the nice thing about the 3200 is you have a lotta time to play around with people like that and test the field. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

LHS CROSS COUNTRY RULES!!!
    GO AFRICAN ALLIANCE

PROUD TO BE A KRAZY KENYAN

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jan 12, 2002 11:23 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

krypie is right, you need to get the distance & tempo runs in. try to alter the tempo of your runs so that you begin easy, and gradually pick it up. also get in some long intervals on the track, like anything 800 and up. and try to focus on keeping the pace fairly even, and juicing it up slightly at the end. stuff like this is great for boosting endurance, and it will get you used to running faster as the race progresses.
    sounds like you definitly have the potential to run faster. could be something mental, the 3200 is a very tough mental race. just gotta take things one lap at a time, and stay focused. try to let the pack pull you along at the beginning, and just pick them off one by one. the nice thing about the 3200 is you have a lotta time to play around with people like that and test the field. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

My coach makes me run the 3200 but doesn't usually give me those kind of workouts. he's always tring to work on my speed because i naturally don't have alot of it being a long distance runner. every once in a while he will give me one the workouts you mentioned but not on a regular basis. he saves those for xc season.

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jan 12, 2002 11:25 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by runnergal:

Nice advice Kypie. Another good workout to work on your mind set in this race is 4 by 800 at 3200 goal pace with about 60 to 90 sec rest. It really helps you get in the gear that you want to be in during the race and helps you break it down into more easily swallowed sections. Then, when you get to say the last 800 of a 3200 then you can tell yourself "I did this last week when I was tired, I can do it now!" -It does wonders. It was my favorite workout in cross-country, we would break up the 5k into 800s.

i do lots of 4x 800s and 4x1200s in xc season and it really helps because i only have to race two miles.

• MadXC Rookie 111 posts since
    Jun 4, 2000
    10. Jan 13, 2002 9:24 PM (in response to Guest )

How many events do you run in a meet? If you run more than one event, sometimes other events get sacraficed. I run the 800, 1600, and 3200. Besides putting in and increasing the weekly mileage, one workout that helped me in all three events was doing ladders. I go 200, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400, 200. I run the first part a little faster than my 3200 race pace to try to get a gain, then on my way down, I run the 800 faster than my 1600 meter pace, then the 400 faster than my 800 pace ect. The ladder seriously seemed to help me achive gains. You can throw all this trash out in a race though, this just helps get in shape for it. The main goal of a race, in my theory, is to beat as many people as possible, not run a good time. I ran ALL my best times when I didn't listen to the timer, and I ran specifically to beat people.

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jan 13, 2002 9:31 PM (in response to Guest )

I never know my pace. In practice i'll run a 400 in 82 seconds but at a meet i'll do about 70 seconds for a 400 split in the 800.

• CoachB008 Amateur 761 posts since
    Apr 27, 2000
    12. Jan 13, 2002 9:57 PM (in response to Guest )

MadXC

I can guess from your post that you are a male. I have noticed that girls races will string out much faster as the girls settle into their own race paces, whereas boys races will hang together until people get shelled off the back of the pack and die.

My general advice for guys is to try to get a better feeling for their own race pace. If they go out slow in a track race, there will be tons of guys coming back that they can snatch.

My advice for girls is generally to get a little more aggressive. If you are always trying to run your pace, you may not ever have the big breakout performance that you want. I coached the #8 female runner in the nation one year and she would almost never deviate from her race pace. When she finally did, it was in the Golden West Invitational and she dropped from 10:40 to 10:30 for 3200 meters. At that point, she was running for the win in a big race against the IN, NY, and IN state champions. She got away from her normal pace and ran a huge PR and ended up 2nd.

Dash.

It sound to me like the first strategy might work for you. It is way easier to cruise by people that are dying in the 2nd mile than it is to be dying in the last mile and have people cruising by you.

Also, don't forget that you were running indoors for the first time.  Indoor races are usually a little slower.  Finally, it could have just been a bad race.  If you have done your training and are ready to race, then your times will reflect that eventually.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jan 13, 2002 10:07 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by CoachB:

I can guess from your post that you are a male. I have noticed that girls races will string out much faster as the girls settle into their own race paces, whereas boys races will hang together until people get shelled off the back of the pack and die.

My advice for girls is generally to get a little more aggressive. If you are always trying to run your pace, you may not ever have the big breakout performance that you want.

i have noticed the guys always seem to run together and the girls run kinda by themselves. i've always wondered about that.

I'll try that strategy. Looking back i think that is my mistake in most of my races. I always try to run a certain pace and it does seem to screw me when i do that. I always run my prs without trying to.

• FARTLEK_MAN Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2007
    14. May 15, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to Guest )

Like it was said before, the race was indoors so naturally it's gonna be a few seconds slower.

But what I would reccomend to you is to be doing longer type workouts ( 1200's, 1000's, 800's) during the winter and throughout most of the spring season. When you get closer to the end of the season, make your workouts shorter and more "sprint oriented" like 600's and 400's. And always end your workouts with a 2-3 200m all out sprints, this will help your kick at the end of races.

As for the actual race stratagy. The best advice I can give you is to really get focused on laps 5 and 6, that is when you really have to buckle down and make sure your not slowing down. And always run a little faster than you think you should be.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...