Skip navigation

1854 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 5:06 PM by whynot2544 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
whynot2544 Amateur 18 posts since
Apr 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2010 10:41 AM

7,8,9 year old distance from pitchers mound

I came from an area that the kids threw from 41 feet to home plate. The area I just moved to they have the kids throwing from the top of the mound witch almost always ends up with the coach pitching because their rules are there are no walks. Is this how it is in most areas or I'm I the only one that thinks its just to far for this kids to throw and moving the mound up would solve the coach pitch issue?

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 22, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to whynot2544)
    Re: 7,8,9 year old distance from pitchers mound

LL has that age group at 46'

PONY has 7-8 at 38'  and 9-10 at 44'

Neither has a "no walks" rule.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Apr 22, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

+I came from an area that the kids threw from 41 feet to home plate. The area I just moved to they have the kids throwing from the top of the mound +

How far away is "the mound"?

What organization is it?

What size fields are these kids playing on?

• THECOACH__44 Legend 289 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Apr 22, 2010 12:43 PM (in response to whynot2544)

6,7, and 8 yr olds pitching is stupid. Although I pitched when I was 7 (July baby). Of course, back in the day kids weren't the weak lil wusses they are today. LOL

May 25, 2007
    5. Apr 22, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to THECOACH__44)

6 year olds pitching - where in Texas did you use to live !!!   ;o)

Many (maybe most) leagues don't start kids pitching at 6 - 7 or even 8.

Around here most leagues are Tee-Ball for 5-6, and Coach or Machine Pitch for 7-8.  Kid pitch generally starts at 9.

May 25, 2007
    7. Apr 22, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to whynot2544)

Is the league affiliated with a national organization (Little League, PONY, Cal Ripken, etc) or is it just a local town/city/county league?

They stack the higher division with 14 kids per team and give the lowers 10 per team.

Wow, seems "backwards" - most manager is the older (more competitive) divisions generally want fewer players !!!

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Apr 22, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to whynot2544)

If this truly is Little League Baseball, Inc., then the kids can't pitch at anything other than 46' at these ages. It's a safety thing. Be sure to tell your board this.

Many lower divisions of minors prohibit stealing, as the catchers and infielders just don't have the skills at 7-8 to deal with it. That's nothing new, and it makes the games go faster.

Why move a younger kid up to basicly sit him on the bench when he could be one of the studs in a lower division.

It's not about being a big fish in a little pond. It's about player development. Sometimes having the right younger player practicing with the older kids if FAR more beneficial than having him dominate the younger ones. Notice I didn't say "playing", as it's the practices where these younger kids develop their skills. Game time is just a lesser component of the over all experience.

• bluezebra Pro 84 posts since
    May 26, 2000
    11. Apr 22, 2010 3:12 PM (in response to Lou_B)

"The area I just moved to they have the kids throwing from the top of the mound witch almost always ends up..."

WHICH "WITCH" are you referring to?

Sarge

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Apr 22, 2010 3:22 PM (in response to whynot2544)

... but would you as a kid rather be a dominating player or one of the 6 outs and sit kids?

I asked my son that, when he (not me) had the choice of moving up, or not. He wanted to play with the big guys, yet knew the reality of bench time. He came out a much better player in the end, not because of game time, but because of practicing with the big guys. Dominating little guys is cool for the parents, but doesn't get you better.

How does not stealing speed up the game?

You're not constantly trying (and failing) to throw runners out.

What the problem is is that there are to many different ages in these divisions keeping the closer pitching from being use.

That may be true, but it's not allowed in Little League. Your league is in violation of a basic safety rule if they do. Feel free to bring that up at the next meeting, if safety is important to you.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...