Skip navigation

1894 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 3:09 PM by Volksmarcher RSS
CACOMD Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2010 7:11 AM

Any guys have history with an increased PSA (prostate) and your doctor saying biking can contibute?

I just came from my 2nd doctors visit tracking my ever increasing PSA numbers and he suggested (which we previously discussed) that my bike riding, especially prior to have the blood work done, might drive up my PSA artificially. He suggested that I consider getting a seat with a hole in the middle-which I've seen but never considered. I'd appreciate any feedback regarding others experiences regarding biking and the correlation to an enlarged prostate. Has anyone had a doctor say that biking does aggravate a prostate or further what may be a propensity to have an enlarged prostate.

I'm 56 and three quarters (but who's counting) and started back to riding a road bike two summers ago when I got my first new ride in 25 years. That winter, after increasing my summer/fall routine,  I rode my old bike as a trainer getting ready for ski trips and that's when the standard enlarged prostate problems (that you see advertised on TV) started for me. I never really tied the two together (perhaps I was naive) and have been more committed to riding this summer than I have in 30 years. I'm getting in between 300-400 miles a week but for the first time will be riding in three Century's this fall.

This doctor wants to take biopsy's and said that I'll need to stop riding for a bit (1-3 weeks) afterwards. I'm just wondering other guys experience with tying the biking and prostate issues together. Thanks for any feedback.

• Volksmarcher Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008

CACOMD,

I haven't had the prostarte problem but I did have "numbness" problems with most of the bike saddles until my LBS reconmmended I try an ISM saddle (search for "ISM bicycle saddle" in your browser. The ISM saddle looks like a toilet seat. In fact the guy that invented it dreamed up the design while sitting on one. This saddle is great. I have one on my road bike and hybrid. When you first ride with it may feel a little unstable but it only takes a few rides and you are hooked. I would definitely investigate this saddle. I am 67 years old, 6'2", and weigh around 230 lbs.

Volksmarcher

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points