Skip navigation

1317 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 12:02 PM by topdawguga RSS
general5 Amateur 8 posts since
Feb 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2009 12:01 PM

Opinion on Combat Pitching

Curious if anyone has ever had there child attend one of the Combat Pitching camps.  Looking for an off season camp and one of these are being held in January.  Just wondering if it is worth the time and expense.

• topdawguga Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 4, 2004
    1. Nov 17, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to general5)
    Re: Opinion on Combat Pitching

My son has done this as part of his pre-baseball workout the past two seasons.  Where we live it really isn't a camp, but a regular workout that you can attend.  Starting in mid-Februray or so, he does the combat workout twice a week for an hour.  It has definately increased his velocity and overall arm strength.

Make sure your son starts out slow and doesn't overthrow right out of the gate.  They use lots of weighted balls and band stretching, and he'll be pretty sore early on.  But, it has been a very positive experience both years.

• topdawguga Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 4, 2004
    3. Nov 17, 2009 12:02 PM (in response to general5)
    Re: Opinion on Combat Pitching

General5, as my name indicates, I was born and raised in Georgia and went to college at UGA (Go Dawgs!).  I lived in Atlanta for a number of years after Athens, but ended up moving to the midwest with my job. So, now I live in Kansas City where we got two inches of snow last night.

Like I said, my son has done this the past two years, and it has been very beneficial.  He throws harder than he did before he started (and yes, part of that is because he is older/bigger, but part if because of the workout from Combat Pitching) and he throws with a style that he can repeat virtually every pitch. 

Unlike some, he only does this for a couple of  months at the start of the season.  It helps him get his arm in shape and reinforces what he needs to do to keep his arm in shape through the season.  Like anything, it's as much about the person doing the training as what they are training.  That said, I do like what the program advocates and what they teach.

How old is your son and which area of Georgia are you in?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...