Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2112 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2010 2:17 PM by kal_ Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • coachof4 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 31, 2008 6:22 PM (in response to TG.)
    Re: Way to go MLB

I've heard that LL has no problem collecting a liscensing fee from their logos and trademarks. What's the diference? I would recommend a league change the spelling and roll-on.

• Jim619 Expert 50 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    17. Jun 2, 2008 8:58 AM (in response to coachof4)

I know that when our league buys replica hats they have to pay a small licensing fee for each cap. It's like $2.35 or something insignificant like that.

Not a big deal to me or our Board to keep things straight up.

• RichW Pro 129 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    18. Jun 2, 2008 12:05 PM (in response to Lou_B)

From the article:

You can only wonder how long until Minor League Baseball stops the use of their names/logos in Little Leagues around the country.

My understanding is that a lot of MiLB teams are

encouraging

the use of their names and logos by licensing them dirt cheap.

- Rich

• THECOACH__44 Legend 289 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    20. Jun 2, 2008 5:01 PM (in response to TG.)

Anyone who wears the #6 Isotope uni should damned well pay THE KID! LOL

• mikeyactive Community Moderator 27 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    21. Jan 11, 2010 2:24 PM (in response to RichW)
    Re: Should MLB Enforce Trademark With Little League?

Here is an official response from Little League:

Little League Position Statement: Use of Trademarked Names and Logos

Recently, we have received some inquiries at Little League International asking for advice on the use of trademarked names and logos, particularly those of Major League Baseball teams.

For more than six decades, Little Leagues have used the names of Major League Baseball teams. That tradition continues today, and will continue for many years to come. Major League Baseball has never restricted any Little League teams from calling themselves ?Mets,? ?Yankees,? ?Cardinals,? ?Angels,? or any of its other trademarked names.

However, we also recognize the importance to Major League Baseball of the protection of its trademarks. It is incumbent on any organization, Little League included, to protect its trademarks. To fail to do so can result in those valuable trademarks being lost.

We strongly encourage our leagues who wish to place any trademarked names on a uniform item, including those of Major League Baseball clubs, to use only those items authorized and licensed by Major League Baseball.

It is important to note that unauthorized use of any trademark, including those belonging to Major League Baseball, may result in civil liability by the manufacturer of items bearing those trademarks. So, even though a local Little League that uses shirts with unauthorized Major League Baseball trademarks will not be held liable, it is likely that the business that provided the shirts would be.

We hope this helps to clarify this issue for our local Little Leagues.

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    22. Jan 12, 2010 2:10 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

rich - why?

why not?

this is the difference between "baseball" and "business"

the owners have been using "baseball" for over 100 years so they can get richer... and i'm sure there is some deal between majestic and MLB (owners).

screw them!

if some little kid wants to be a "Yankee" or a "Red Sox" or whatever... they should be allowed!  its BASEBALL to them not BUSINESS.

i'm defending LL here guys... so don't fall out of your chair!  in our league (non LL), they are "Dairy Queen" or "Joe's Chevrolet" or... "Little Bo Peeps" - ha!

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Yanckees!

Cubbs!

Red Soxx!

Heck... just get HENRY to make the gear for ya... ya won't violate any trademark!

Speaking of TM's... they're violated everyday (dirty little creatures!)

Do you buy "Kleenex" or "disposable tissues"?

Personally... I just wipe my nose on my sleeve...

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...