Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1459 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 9:23 PM by Beer and Cupcakes RSS
UKorBust Amateur 9 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2010 12:46 PM

Recovery duration?

I'd like to get people's opinion on recovery durations between running.  I am a very slow beginner.  I'm up to running 20 minutes solid.  I can only do a mile and a half in that time, but I'm working on increasing.  I thought since I am a beginner, that it would be wiser to have a day (or two) in between the days I run, so my body could recover.  My joints seem ok, although a slight bit sore sometimes and my hip on my left side is always sore the day after I run (more like a muscle sore...like the good kind of sore), or sometimes if I sit for a long time in the car, it's sore.  I'm wondering if it would be unwise to start running every day...or at least try to, just to see if I can increase my endurance and/or build up to picking up the pace.  Given the circumstances above, what do y'all think?

Shooting for a Labor Day 5K and just want to finish.

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    1. Aug 17, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to UKorBust)
    Re: Recovery duration?

I think you should keep taking the day off until youre not sore the next day.   This running business is hard on a body thats not adjusted to it.  But the good thing is the human body is amazing and will adjust to what youre inflicting on it.    There's no hurry,  take your time,  be consistent and when you feel good the next day then venture out for another run.

BTW:  up to 20 minutes solid running is terrific!  Congratulations!!  Before you know it you'll be running 3 miles no sweat.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

Nov 19, 2009
    3. Aug 17, 2010 1:18 PM (in response to UKorBust)

Yes listen to your body and be careful.  I hope the hip is nothing serious but you just cant be sure.  Avoid alot of stretching until it feels better.  If you pulled somethign or a muscle is stressed,  yanking it apart with stretching is not going to help it heal.

Yes running can be very addicting. Im definitly hooked. Its amazing seeing yourself get healthier and faster so quickly.  But its also really easy to over do it and end up sidelined for a spell.

Regarding 5K's,  you can never do them 'comfortably'   haha.   You will get caught up in the race atmosphere and excitement and run harder than youve ever run.  It will be painful.  But it will be good.

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    4. Aug 17, 2010 6:28 PM (in response to UKorBust)

I ran 3x/week for 6 weeks straight --- and then I bumped it up to 4 days a week. On the weekends, I do back to back runs on Sat and Sun morning... but Monday I dont do ANYTHING... its a pure rest day... its working for me I guess, no injuries so far just a few little aches!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    5. Aug 17, 2010 8:09 PM (in response to UKorBust)

The first 2 weeks of C25K, I stuck to the 3 days of running only. My body needed the recovery time & I judged that by the fact that I was SO tired. Third week, I added a fourth day... jog/walk a minute at a time for the 5k. I kept it slow, almost a 'play day'. The only real extra work I added was stength/stretch work on my off days. I did the same on week four, then last week - W5, dialed back to nothing more than the programmed runs because I felt fatigued after a few days. I've noticed almost every specidif training program out there has easier weeks planned, 'cutback weeks' & I can see why. I'm running better this week because I took it easy last week.

I suspect like most things, it's fairly individual. If your body tells you it's too much by you feeling overtired, your legs feeling heavy or wobbly or you feeling cranky or out of sorts, take an extra rest day.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

Nov 19, 2009
    6. Aug 17, 2010 9:23 PM (in response to SlogOn)

Yes, good advice Slog!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend