Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3737 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2010 7:37 AM by pacificfit
scholl734 Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 22, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2010 2:02 PM

I think I'm gonna puke! Nutrition question.

Ok...I've done two Olympic Distance Tri's in the past three months. About five to ten minutes after the race, I get this extreme reaction like I'm going to puke. It lasts for about 10 - 15 minutes before it eventually goes away.

After the 1st race, I thought that I just drank too much water too soon quickly after finishing the race. At the second race, I tried to ease up when I finished, but it didn't help.

Both races started with a banana, coffee and a Gatorade Prime before the swim. I have used the shot blocs, race gel and sport beans during the races. I only eat during the bike and I only ingest liquids during the run. On the second race, I only had one small cup of Gatorade...maybe an ounce or two max.

Does anyone have any ideas and to what is causing that....I'm aiming to go longer distances and I fear that it will hit me during the race.

Thanks,

MIke

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Aug 18, 2010 8:32 AM (in response to scholl734)
    Re: I think I'm gonna puke! Nutrition question.

Mike:

It is important to eat/drink during training what you will eat/drink during a race so you can know how your body reacts. You don't say it in your post, but I assume you haven't had this reaction in training. I know several people who have that reaction to Sport Beans (usually fairly immediately). I recently finished my first Ironman distance tri using nothing but Hammer Nutrition products and their guidelines for nutrition and hydration. It worked great and I had been testing it out in previous Olympic length tris and longer training rides and runs. There is certainly other products and information out there that might work best for you. Read up and test in training. Good luck!

BT

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    2. Aug 18, 2010 8:42 AM (in response to scholl734)

BT is right.  You have to train with what you race with.  I use Infinit.  I like it because it is everything in a bottle.  No bars or gels. 

On the other hand.  It should like it may be that you just pushed yourself hard.  Very hard and when you come to the finish line you just stop which goes not allow for a proper cool down which could results in wanting to puke.

I can get you 10% of infinit if you want.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• yogiworm Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    3. Aug 18, 2010 4:27 PM (in response to scholl734)

I'm definitely no expert in this, but I wanted to make a comment on what I recently learned about mixing gels and sports drinks. If you use gels, drink water. If you prefer liquid nutrition, then stick with that for the entire race.

(Where did I learn it? From Matt Fitzgerald himself. He's written some books on endurance training and nutrition, and is a rep for Pacific Labs: the people who make Endurox, Accelerade stuff. And yeah, he was promoting their products/his books, but in a nice and not pushy way =))

Maybe you have a sensitive stomach that's reacting to all the nutrition your ingesting. Finding the right product(s)/combination is really important.

That's not to say that completing a triathlon doesn't want to make you puke in the end! ha!

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to scholl734)

Interestingly, lactic acid (byproduct of hard exercise) can stimulate the vagus nerve to have a nauseous, vomiting reaction. So you *may* simply be going to hard in those first 10-15 minutes OR have a low tolerance to lactic acid. The answer here could be a warm-up that actually takes you up above lactate threshold a few times to stimulate lactate production, like 5x60 second hard efforts on the bike. Try it out.

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...