Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6237 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2010 6:56 AM by JasonFitz1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
pockypore Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2010 7:51 AM

CHOCOLATE MILK AFTER A RUN?

i recently heard or saw an article that said chocolate milk was an excellent recovery drink after a run.

does anyone do this and does it provide any better recovery impact then, say, gatorade?

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    1. Aug 18, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to pockypore)
    Re: CHOCOLATE MILK AFTER A RUN?

Many runners do drink chocolate milk after running. I prefer a drink called Pure Protein. It has 35 grams of protein and is like drinking thick chocolate milk. They call them shakes but as I said are more like thick milk. They have different flavors too. Gatorade, as many people will tell you, has a lot of sugar although many still do drink it. This drink also has 4 grams of carbohydrates but the protein is what I like.

pure_protein_shake_450_white.jpg

Onward and Forward !

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 18, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to pockypore)

I've tried it a few times.  I've also blended chocolate milk with a banana and ice to make a smoothie.

I will usually drink gatorade immediately after a long run to help replenish electrolytes, and then drank some chocolate milk a little bit later.

I think it helps recovery.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 18, 2010 8:44 AM (in response to pockypore)

When I was heavy into cycling I used chocolate milk from time to time and really didn't notice a difference in recovery -- I did notice a sugar buzz though. Generally, I'll down a banana and a heck of a lot of water and that seems to do the trick for me.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Aug 18, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to pockypore)

I've always heard the chocolate milk thing too.  I've tried it a couple of times, but the main drawback, in this hot weather, is keeping it cold.  After a few times of carrying choc milk in a cooler for my post run, I gave up on that idea! 

I'm weird, I guess, because other than water my favorite hot weather post run drink is V8!  I figure the salt in it helps replace electrolytes, it is all natural, and full of vitamins.  (I HATE sports drinks!)  I guess part of the chocolate milk idea is that it provides protein to your muscles immediately after a hard workout, but a protein bar is probably just as good for that anyway.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Aug 18, 2010 8:53 AM (in response to pockypore)

The usual recommendation says a recovery drink should have a 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein for optimum nutrient intake.  Chocolate milk provides that in a tasty drink.  That's why the suggestion.  I think most milk, chocolate or regular, will give you the 4 to 1 mix.  Then it's just a matter of the fat content: skim, 1%, 2%, etc.  I've used it and found it satisfying but I couldn't tell if it aided recovery.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    7. Aug 18, 2010 10:10 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

You need the protein to help rebuild your muscle that you damaged during your workout, best if you get it in before a hour to do the best for your body.  The other recovery drinks are to replace nutrients lost.  As Len stated 4 to 1 is the ideal mix.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    9. Aug 18, 2010 9:05 PM (in response to pockypore)

For me it is my recovery drink of choice!! It's got it all- protein, simple carbs, vitamins.  It helps me keep my hunger after a long run or hard run at bay until I can get home and fuel up.  I still take an after drink of water to rehydrate as well.  I typically don't do gatorade unless in a)summer or b)marathon training.

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    10. Aug 19, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

The usual recommendation says a recovery drink should have a 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein for optimum nutrient intake.  Chocolate milk provides that in a tasty drink.  That's why the suggestion.  I think most milk, chocolate or regular, will give you the 4 to 1 mix.  Then it's just a matter of the fat content: skim, 1%, 2%, etc.  I've used it and found it satisfying but I couldn't tell if it aided recovery.

Len

Len,

Absolutely correct, the 4/1 carb protein ratio that is. Accelerade touts this as the best ratio while Gatorade seems to have other ideas with the new G series they have. I think between the two It is all personal preference. I have been in to Martial Arts and Weight training now for over 40 years and never had trouble maintaining my current weight. Once I started running earlier this year I also started drinking Accelerade before and during my runs as it is the very closest to that ratio. Well, I soon also noticed when I started running I was losing weight fast, I am not at all in to losing weight so I added the Pure Protein shakes in to my run day ritual. I do realize this throws the 4/1 ration out the window but in addition to Accelerade I now drink the Pure Protein shake after a run to add more protein since on my non run days I still do Weight and Martial Arts training. The extra protein is good for rebuilding muscle and the calories are working good for weight maintenance in my situation. Not to mention nothing to me hits the spot right after a run like chugging down that ice cold chocolate shake! It works for me.

Reading some one saying V8 juice for the sodium value as an electrolyte? Yes, sodium is one of many needed electrolytes and V8 is good for some nutritional value but I would suggest using some other form of electrolyte supplement as sodium alone has too many issues and side effects when taken in to the system in too little and too large of amounts. Pedialite or Endurolyte is an alternative if your goal is electrolytes. This link may interest you.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/electrolyte-replenishment-why-it-146-s-so-important-and-how-to-do-it-right.1274.html

Personally, I think the whole sports nutrition market has gotten similar to the fishing lure market in that the lure catches more fishermen than fish. There are a few valid sports nutrition products out there but as a whole I think the market has gotten exploited with gimmick for profit. There is how ever some thing to be said about the "placebo effect" with sports nutrition. If it motivates you and is not toxic then have at it, if not then hate it as much as you wish.

Onward and Forward !

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    11. Aug 19, 2010 10:27 AM (in response to calbiker)
    Reading some one saying V8 juice for the sodium value as an electrolyte? Yes, sodium is one of many needed electrolytes and V8 is good for some nutritional value but I would suggest using some other form of electrolyte supplement as sodium alone has too many issues and side effects when taken in to the system in too little and too large of amounts. Pedialite or Endurolyte is an alternative if your goal is electrolytes.

I get what you're saying about the sodium, but I just happen to really like V8 so its something I would drink anyway.  I hate sports drinks!   I only drink a little 6 oz can of V8 after I run along with plenty of water so I don't think I'm getting too much sodium.   And honestly most of my runs, although hot and sweaty during the summer, aren't long enough to require serious electrolyte replenishment anyway. Get your point, but just sayin.....

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    12. Aug 22, 2010 5:43 AM (in response to pockypore)

I tried chocolate milk for the first time Friday after I ran a hard 2 miles.  I felt pretty darn good yesterday, my muscles felt strong and I wasn't sore.  Not sure if it was the milk or not...but it seemed good to me...

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• chelsrun Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 1, 2009
    13. Aug 22, 2010 7:26 AM (in response to pockypore)

I've done both regular and chocolate milk after a long run and felt better throughout the day.  I've also recently discovered natural coconut water and LOVE it!  It doesn't offer the protein that milk does, but it has twice the potassium as a banana, magnesium, a bit of iron, and Vitamin A, as well as more electrolytes than the sports drinks and 45 calories for 8 1/2 ounces.  I'm training for the Marine Corps Marathon and did a 15 miler yesterday, drinking water and coconut water afterward, and feel great!  Both the potassium and magnesium help to prevent cramps, especially important with the summer heat we've been having!  Try it, you'll like it!  I've found mine in the health food sections of some grocery stores, but any natural foods store, like Whole Foods, will carry it in their juice section.  Make sure you get the all-natural, nothin but coconut water kind (Vita-Coco is one brand).  There are several coconut waters on the shelves in hispanic sections of grocery stores that have added cane sugar and water.  Its too sweet and has less actual coconut water, so does replenish properly.

Hope it helps!

• BabyCatcherNat Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    14. Aug 22, 2010 10:33 AM (in response to pockypore)

I've read that you should drink chocolate milk after a run too-and any excuse I can find to drink chocolate milk, well, I'm all over it!!!

There is a local dairy here that makes the BEST chocolate milk in the world!!!!!! Creamy, thick, yummyness!!!!!!!  There's nothing better than a nice cold glass of chocolate milk while sitting in an ice bath!!!!!!

Embrace the Journey

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points