Skip navigation

3036 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2010 5:25 AM by silvereagle RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Dinks02 Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2010 4:02 AM

8/18 - No running allowed...!

Hi Everyone,

Having a boo and hiss kind of day here.

After making steady progress into my fourth week of marathon training and a great 8 mile run this past weekend, the tingling and numbness is back in my right foot.  Doctor says too much running too fast (lower back injury), so it is back to swimming and walking and no running....and sigh, no MCM again this year.  Almost begged the doctor not to put me on exercise restrictions but he was adamant about the no running thing for at least a few months.  Very disappointed but looking at the bigger picture I realize it could be much worse.  Will be cheering the rest of you on come race day!

Cheers,

Danielle

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 18, 2010 4:05 AM (in response to Dinks02)
    Re: 8/18 - No running allowed...!

Wow...that's tough, Danielle. Have you considered a second opinion, maybe from a doctor who is also a runner?

Thunder and driving rain here today at my usual 5 AM departure. Looks like the run's cancelled....at least for this morning.

Healthy running all.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 18, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to Dinks02)

7.4 miles this morning. Weather seems to be warming up a bit again.

IT'S ALMOST FOOTBALL TIME!!!!!!!!!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Aug 18, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to Dinks02)

Sorry to hear the bad news, Danielle.  I hope that the back heals well and fast and maybe next year's MCM.  The good part, you can swim and bike.  See you in October in DC.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Aug 18, 2010 8:34 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Decided to take the day off.  My legs were a little sore after yesterday's run so I figured they deserved a rest.

Len

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Aug 18, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Hi Danielle,

I'm with Dave, I'd consider getting a 2nd opinion from a runner/doctor.  What area do you live?  I know one here in Maryland.

And will the tingling & numbness get worse if you keep running?  Given a choice between tingling/numbness and no running, I might be inclined to choose tingling/numbness.  Guess it depends on the severity and the potential for further injury.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

Jan 19, 2008
    6. Aug 18, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

I did 3 miles early this morning (early for me) I was on the TM at 5:45.  I volunteer on Wednesday's and that's about as early as I get up.  Was going to do 3 miles this afternoon, and said, not!!  So, nice and lazy.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    8. Aug 18, 2010 4:21 PM (in response to Dinks02)

Sorry to hear about the no-go on the mcm. Work for health and you shall be back.

I ran 8 miles today. I ran a few tempo miles in the mix.

I'm averaging 9 miles per run this week. I am looking forward to the 2 mile run I have scheduled tomorrow -- though it is on the hill.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    9. Aug 18, 2010 5:14 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Hang in there, Danielle!  Today was Young Deer Leaping Day around the woods apparently; I was clearly the slowest pedestrian around.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    10. Aug 18, 2010 8:14 PM (in response to Immer treu)

Immer treu wrote:

Today was Young Deer Leaping Day

I forget -- was that one of the Twelve Days of Christmas?

• Marathon Peach Legend 391 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Aug 18, 2010 10:27 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Danielle, sorry to hear you wont be able to do MCM this year, health comes first though. I did do MCM in 2007 and signed up for the Georgia Marathon in 2009 but I started having health issues related to my transplant and had to drop out of that race. It sucks when you've paid the non refundable money, started training for it and get all excited about it and then can't do it. Here is hoping you get to do it when the time is right! Terri - 19 year liver transplant

I didn't run yesterday morning, took a rest day but did some weights, I hopped this would help my running some. I never did that before when I ran.

Terri - 20 Year Liver Transplant Survivor

2007 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    12. Aug 19, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to Marathon Peach)

Danielle, hang in there, long term health is the most important thing.

We ran last night at UNCW track, did 1 mile warnup then 3 mile repeats 3/4 of the mile on dirt/grass with the last 1/4 on the track, my splits were very good for how hot and humit it was:  7:04, 7:08 and 7:08 we had 2 mins of rest between, then a 1 mile cooldown.  I am ready for some cooler weather.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    13. Aug 19, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to Dinks02)

Danielle - that is terrible news, but I am sending you all the healing vibes I can for your recovery and return with vigor to future races!

I just got in from a trip where I laid over in Salt Lake City.  I was scheduled on the 18th to do an 8 miler at race pace with a 13 miler on Friday.  When I started out in SLC, I switched it up almost immediately to the longer run yesterday because I was stopped by so much traffic.  No way was I going to be able to keep any sort of pace in that.  I had noted that it was a little over 6 miles to the zoo so I figured I'd run there, doodle around a bit, take a look at the critters, then run back to hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.  I'll get my race pace on Friday where I know I won't get interrupted.  It was warm in SLC, but not too hot and definitely drier than I'm used to.  The elevation was around 4200' and that I felt right off the bat.  Also the route to the zoo was uphill...for 6 miles!  I'm serious!  Not a steep hill, but a slow uphill grade for ever!  Whew.  Within a half mile or so of the zoo it started raining and I got soaked.  This was approaching not as much fun as I'd imagined.  Well then I realized the rain actually cooled things off and as the rain quit after about 10 minutes, it stayed much cooler for a good long time!  In Georgia a rain like that makes things even steamier!  I went into the zoo and had fun making the circle and looking at the animals.  Along the way I foraged a corn dog and an orange Icee.  Nectar of the gods.  I headed back the way I came, but somewhere along the way I turned wrong or didn't turn right and I ended up all twisted.  I aimed myself for the Temple downtown and finally stopped in at a Mariott (I was staying at a Radisson) and got directions.  SLC has the weirdest street names!  They are all numbered but E500S is very different from S500E, so if you get your west from your left messed up you will get twisted up in SLC!  I finally figured it out but it made an extra mile or so on my route.  All in all a fun run - especially for the variety.  Now I hope I recover from Sleep Number Back!  I hate those things.  I can't get it right and I feel like I've slept in a hammock all night.  One time a flight attendant goes, "You need to know what your sleep number is."  I answered, "Well, what is it?"  I thought her head would explode.

Jan 19, 2008
    14. Aug 19, 2010 4:30 PM (in response to Becky8846)

A fun read, Becky!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...