Skip navigation

40233 Views 87 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM by lizzy24 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • ae1234 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 19, 2007 7:03 PM (in response to dojojenn)
    Re: Has anyone raced pregnant?

oh goodie, the electric is back on. anyways, a lot of things are unnataural, this mode of communication is one of them, but harmless so, selah, or whatever, but that was not my point at all. i think i just might not do certain things that would be dangerous, anything i might lose my balance doing and fall on by stomach. then again, i'm the descendant of cromagnum man and his wife, so who am i so say what i would or wouldn't do in a pregnant womans shoes.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Jun 19, 2007 8:25 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I'm not sure of the actual statistic but I'd be willing to bet the risk to the woman and her fetus are greater when driving her car to the grocery store than doing a tri when pregnant.  Obviously, certain precautions are necessary while pregnant just like wearing a seatbelt and following traffic rules reduce the risks when driving.  It's appropriate to gather information and then make decisions according to your own situation.  A healthy person, pregnant or not has to weigh the risks and benefits of all their decisions.  Hopefully, we don't make decisions based only out of fear or we'd miss out on so many life-changing experiences.  I hope this is helpful.  To the original poster, good luck no matter what you decide.

• ae1234 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jun 19, 2007 10:53 PM (in response to dojojenn)

well put. just definitely no smoking illicit substances. its not natural.

• bucksmama Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Jun 20, 2007 6:02 AM (in response to dojojenn)

In contrast, the first trimester is the most risky. The 30% or so likelihood of miscarriage is always present, whether you exercise or not. So I'd say do it, but keep your heart rate low, and as someone else said, do it for fun. I ran up to 7 months with my daughter.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Jun 20, 2007 12:46 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Helen82, you are good! I like the last sentence especially.

The position paper by the American College of Obs and Gynoes disclaims the caution to keep your heart rate down. Typically, athletic woman are told not to exceed 140bpm, for no known reason; it was just an arbitrary number based on nothing.

Now, after studying pregnant endurance athletes, the recommendation is that 140 bpm is the max rate for women who don't exercise,  and conditioned athletes set the ceiling higher.

Hi Jenhi - I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

• helen82 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jun 20, 2007 2:04 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I knew you'd appreciate that one, yo. I love to find the little absurdities in everyday life. It gives me great amusement. We live in a mobile home park now, and sometimes we just sit on the front porch and marvel at the ridiculous things people do.

Is this why our great-great-great-great, etc. grandmothers endured the extreme pain and danger of childbirth, so that their descendants could stuff their faces with Kripsy Kreme donuts while bemoaning the fate of Paris Hilton? They must be spinning in their graves.

Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jun 20, 2007 2:05 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Atletic women shouldn't exceed 140 bpm? How boring....I got up to 172 yesterday, and I'm still standing. But then maybe I'm assuming I'm athletic....

Jul 9, 2007
    24. Jun 21, 2007 4:52 AM (in response to dojojenn)

dojojenn, I really must apologize that everybody jumped on you. I don't understand why we're so scared of preganancy in this society. When I was first pregnant, I was always warned "don't over do it." The doctors scared me so much that I didn't exercise at all. I developed preeclampsia and was put on bed rest for the last month of my pregnancy. My daughter was delivered a month early, and I must say she has never really been what I would call healthy.

In my second pregnancy I ignored all the medical advice and continued exercising, sometimes twice a day. My son was only 10 days early. He is healthy as a little horse. He is unusually coordinated for the age of 4. He walked at 9 months (my daughter walked at 17 months), started swimming at 18 months and learned to ride a two-wheeler just after he turned 4. I really have to think that the increased circulation he received from my daily exercise has something to do with his robust state of health.

Anyway, you didn't come here to learn about my experience. You know (probably better than I do!) how important and beneficial it is to exercise during pregnancy.

Best of luck to you, have fun in the race and ignore all the naysayers.

Jul 9, 2007
    25. Jun 21, 2007 5:20 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I also want to add that I was a much better mother to my son when he was a newborn than I was to my daughter. I was so exhausted when my little girl was born that I really couldn't function. This continued until she was about 1 year old, when I finally lost the 65 pounds I had gained and started back to regular exercise. When my son was little I was waking up 3-4 times a night, but because I was much healthier I could handle it. I didn't have to sleep during the day (maybe once), and I was able to care for him the way I should have been able to care for my daughter.

• samdecker Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Jun 21, 2007 8:53 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I haven't raced pregnant (no one was doing tris when I had my kids), but I did run, swim, and bike to stay in shape all through my pregnancies.  In addition, I learned to cross country ski and downhill ski while pregnant!!  Doctors then just said to not go all out, but encouraged me to stay in shape; makes the pregnancy easier, delivery easier, and the recovery faster.  Both of my kids (now adults) are expert skiers, bikers, and love to be active!

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    27. Jun 21, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Dodojenn - you da' bomb!!!!

• bohnster Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    28. Oct 31, 2010 12:43 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I would bet my paycheck that your doctor didn't say a crash at 20mph was OK.  My guess is the doctor OK'd a race at a moderate pace and didn't even consider the possibility of a crash.  Does your doctor know anything about triathlons?  I would bet very little.  I stand by my statement that you are taking a selfish, un-necessary risk, but I do agree that the likelihood of getting hit by a car on the way to the doctor/grocery store/etc. is probably greater and don't expect you to be a recluse for 9 months.  Triathlons are dangerous.  I had an IM training partner who just had to drop out of our next race from a crash; he was in the hospital for a week and lucky he wasn't dead.  If it's just for fun, then go run a 10K or be a part of a relay team instead, and go back to full tri's after the baby is born.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    29. Jun 22, 2007 11:28 AM (in response to dojojenn)

here's another article on the subject:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12528&category=activewomen

FWIW the original poster doesnt' sound like a do or die triathlete to me. I think she can do this tri if the doc and baby agree and she uses some common sense. think bohner has a point a bike crash could be dangerous but if the original poster rides a trainer I think the risk of a crash are drastically reduced.  just my .02

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...