Skip navigation

39755 Views 87 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM by lizzy24 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • krisatl Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 22, 2007 1:12 PM (in response to dojojenn)
    Re: Has anyone raced pregnant?

bohnster,

Do you know what a sprint tri is? An IM and a sprint is as different as I don't know a Marathon and a 5K.

dojojenn,

Good luck the race and the little bandit participant

• helen82 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    31. Jun 22, 2007 1:41 PM (in response to dojojenn)

It's also extremely selfish (and far more dangerous) to smoke or drink while pregnant. bohnster, why don't you put some of that righteous indignation into action and tell all the pregnant women you see doing dangerous/unhealthy things that they should shape up. My guess is, you wouldn't be nearly as gutsy in a face to face confrontation as you are in an anonymous internet forum.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    32. Jun 24, 2007 5:31 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Bohnster would be way out of line except for the fact that we all know ? and he does too ? that he?s speaking from a platform of stubbornness and self-congratulatory stupidity.  He fabricated the part about the doctor lacking credentials in triathlons and the nonsense about a "20mph crash" ? purely made it up. He invented a groundless, factless argument and then won it. Brilliant work,  Einstein. In doing so, he also takes a stab at the competency of the original poster, a woman who commands  more respect with her savvy and intelligence and experience  than this foolishness that I seem to be wasting my time on.

To dodojenn: So what bohnster is saying, little missy, is you just run along and let the XY chromosomes take care of those tough decisions.  He doesn?t ?expect you stay a recluse for nine months?, but he knows more than you or your doctor, so don?t you worry your pretty little head anymore.

Make the check out to dodojenn. You lost.

Jul 9, 2007
    33. Jun 24, 2007 6:09 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Yes, you might as well kick off your shoes and set your rocking chair up in the kitchen. You know we women can't think for ourselves. We aren't interested in our health or the health of our babies....we just want to keep our tight abs.

Am I piling on? So sorry. That kind of chauvinism really gets my goat.

Jul 9, 2007
    34. Jun 24, 2007 6:12 PM (in response to dojojenn)

One more thing: Better polish up your burqa.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    35. Jun 25, 2007 7:02 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I'm worried what a 20mph crash would do to me and I'm not even pregnant

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

Jul 9, 2007
    36. Jun 25, 2007 8:34 AM (in response to dojojenn)

She said her goal in this race is not for a personal best. If she's done these races before, she probably knows enough to hang back and not tangle with the serious racers.

Jul 9, 2007
    37. Jun 25, 2007 8:54 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I think her training and racing are great but I would be nervous about ridng. nobody plans on a bike accident that's why we wear helmets.  just my supersafety .02 would be to train on a bike trainer as much as possible to avoid bike accidents and the ignorant driving public

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

Jul 9, 2007
    38. Jun 25, 2007 9:23 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I agree, joe. That's one reason I have held back from doing a triathlon. I've had a few bike accidents- in the most serious one I was knocked unconscious even though I was wearing a helmet. That's not an experience I would repeat for anything.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    39. Jun 25, 2007 7:57 PM (in response to dojojenn)

i haven't been on a bike since my son got injured, so i can appreciate the risk involved, including the experiences of others, like helen82's.

But the original poster deserves the respect of the responders for what she is saying. Words of caution can be expressed in a caring way, but blithering on and on with stuff that is entirely made up in order to be purposely insulting to the integrity of a fellow athlete is beyond tolerance. I don't know. Some men have a real problem with assertive, confident women.  Maybe it's genetically coded  or maybe it's the height of immaturity and insecurity. My boys don't act like that.

Jul 9, 2007
    40. Jun 26, 2007 6:45 AM (in response to dojojenn)

what can i say? men are dumb. don't think his advice was totally off base just said wrong.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

Jul 9, 2007
    41. Jun 26, 2007 7:18 AM (in response to dojojenn)

Not just said wrong-highly confrontational. He has some real problems with pregnant women doing anything but nesting in a rocking chair for 9 months. Doctors now understand that pregnant women need exercise, and we're not likely to miscarry or damage our babies if we do the type of exercise that our bodies are used to. I'd bet that dojojenn is fitter and in better shape than a lot of the women on this board.

Jul 9, 2007
    42. Jun 26, 2007 10:14 AM (in response to dojojenn)

just speaking for myself here but there are some people in our sport that don't know when to quit not saying that it is the original poster but when they are injured keep training and racing.  sometimes it's good to have a devil's advocate to keep you honest

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

Jul 9, 2007
    44. Jun 26, 2007 4:51 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I agree with you about Joe-h1's posts.

I think it will be an uphill battle to get society to accept exercising moms-to-be. There will always be some who look on pregnancy as an "illness," and pregnant women as frail creatures who need to be kept at home. All we can do is support each other and keep doing what we know is right.

Of course, there are women who have complicated pregnancies and DO need to take it easy. Something tells me, dojojenn, that you are not one of those women. 

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how everything goes.

helen82

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...