Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1795 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2010 8:25 AM by DWrek
akroylance Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2010 3:47 PM

When to switch from treadmill to running outside

I am in my sixth week of training for a 10k, my longer run this week is 4.5 miles.  All of my miles have been on a treadmill. Once I finished the  8 week training, I'll still have another 5 weeks before the road race.  What suggestions does anyone have about how to continue the 10k training for the remaining 5wks?  Also, when/how should I transfer to running on the road?

Thanks so much!

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

Once you get your long run up to 6 mi/10K distance, you can continue at that maintenance level with your longest weekly run at that distance. That will keep you in good shape for a 10K race. Better yet, once you reach 10K distance, you can progressively increase the length of your long run to 7 or 8 miles over the last several weeks. That will help build your endurance further, and will make the 10K distance seem short by comparison.

As for transitioning from the treadmill to the roads - Start transitioning as soon as possible, if you haven't already. The more experience you have on the "real" race surface, the better, and the more confident you will be on race day.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• DWrek Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    2. Oct 18, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to crl8686)
    Re: When to switch from treadmill to running outside

Hit the road your next run.  It will be a shock to your body at first, so you need to get that out of the way.

You are going to feel like you are going really slow, but you're probably not, the treadmill just seems so fast when its really not.

Nothing to be afraid though, just need to attack it as soon as you can so you can get a feel for resistance and pacing.

• DWrek Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    3. Oct 18, 2010 8:25 AM (in response to DWrek)
    Re: When to switch from treadmill to running outside

Sorry, didnt see how old the orignal post was. Hope your race went well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...