Skip navigation

4383 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2010 10:40 PM by DannyMcLarty RSS
HoopsIsMyMission Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2010 4:29 PM

Ankle braces vs Tape vs None

Which one is better to wear and support your ankles while also keeping your quickness and cuts sharp? Money really isnt an option cause are school tapes are ankles for free if we want. Also do ankle braces or tape slow you down or prevent your cuts from being sharper or quicker?

Looking to Give Back to The Younger Players! Shoot me a message if you need help!

• PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    1. Aug 22, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to HoopsIsMyMission)
    Re: Ankle braces vs Tape vs None

The Ankle Brace is the best. It helps you when it hurts. I never wore it before but I were the Shooting Sleeve and put it on my leg like............................... Kobe ''The Buzzer Beater'' Bryant. you see the brace on Kobe. I don't wear it. I wear NONE. don't use tape.

jeff.jpg

• BBalllover53 Legend 335 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    2. Aug 23, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Wear a ankle brace cuz with tape you have to re do it everytime you play but with a brace he just strap it up and go

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    3. Aug 23, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to BBalllover53)

I don't wear anything.

I think stretching very well is a great way to prevent injuries, no matter what part of your body. I do it before I do any workout, or before any practices or games.

If you need a choice between the two, go with the brace. The support will last longer than tape, that may come off during the game with all the movement, where as the brace will stay stiff and stuck to your ankle.

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    4. Aug 23, 2010 4:31 PM (in response to HoopsIsMyMission)

Yeah good point Phenom70 and sweat might drip down and make it fall off making it a big sweaty mess.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    5. Aug 23, 2010 6:17 PM (in response to ToughD)

Plus, if it slides down, it may distract you, and you may fall down, or it may lead to a basket, and you'll get benched. lol. -_-

• DannyMcLarty Amateur 17 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    6. Aug 23, 2010 10:25 PM (in response to Phenom70)

Get out of ankle braces, tape, and high-top shoes as much as humanly possible.  I have all of my clients do theri warm-ups (prior to weight training) barefoot.  We also do quite a few of the exercises barefoot.  I/we walk around the house barefoot as much as possible and ONLY wear high-top shoes WHILE playing hoops.  As soon as the game/practice is over, get into a pair of chuck taylors or nike frees asap - and again, go barefoot whenever possible (be smart and don't go barefoot when you walking around dangerous materials, i.e. broken glass on the ground etc).

The reason for this is that going barefoot (and wearing "barefoot-like" shoes like Nike Frees) will help strengthen the ankles/feet and help prevent ankle sprains.  It will also help keep your "ankle mobility," which is important for long term knee health.

Now, if you are have already turned your ankle and need to wear support to help you "get by" 'til you stengthen your ankles over time, I really have no preference.  Either work fine in my opinion.  Although you may feel more comfortable in one over the other.

Hope this helps,

Danny McLarty

Danny McLarty, Performance Coach

• DannyMcLarty Amateur 17 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    7. Aug 23, 2010 10:40 PM (in response to HoopsIsMyMission)

Oops, that post was supposed to directed to the original poster (and whoever else found it beneficial) not necessarily @ Phenom70.

Danny McLarty, Performance Coach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points