Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67247 Views 371 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2010 7:03 AM by Milio99 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Previous Next
  • CyndiMac Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010

forgot one thing... I'm also 52, have 3 grown children ages 27, 26 & 23.  Thay are all training to run a 1/2 marathon in Oct here in Baltimore.  Ahhh to be young again!      Have a wonderful day

• shy2try Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010

Wow!  Just heard about this site yesterday...  Looks like I'm just in time to join in!  =)  I am 32, mother of 3 children ages 5, 3 and 1.  I am a complete beginner... don't even OWN a pair of running shoes!  Or clothes to work out in, for that matter.  But, I have some baby fat I would like to get rid of, so here I go.  Any advice on what kind of shoes to get?  Can I just get cheapie Walmart running shoes?  (We're on a tight budget!)

Honestly, I'm kind of embarassed about this whole thing, even though I know it's a really healthy thing to be doing.  I'm embarassed to be seen running... and embarassed to let other people know about it.  I can remember my mother criticizing various neighbors as they went past our house on their morning jog... of course she criticized them from her chair... never actually got on an exercise program herself.  =)  But I'm smack in the middle of a very critical family.  Any advice about how to deal with people's negative remarks?

I'm going to take today to get organized and jump in tomorrow.  =)

• msdamsel Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I just 'refound' this site and I stumbled across this post!  Hopefully I can start with the group.  I am going to do my first session today.  Wish me luck! (cuz Iam gonna need it! lol)

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

shytotry: Do we belong to the same family? Far too many of my family & neighbours have been critical of my efforts & it's very difficult to know what to say. I can come up with all sorts of great things to say... AFTER the situation is past but at the time, it's too easy to freeze, sputter, stammer... then find I'm angry with myself. I swear some people are just born negative or have learned to get through life by saying & thinking negative things all the time. When I don't want to thump them, I feel sorry for them. What an awful way to go through life!

There are a number of things you can say: "It works for me. I enjoy my running, even though, yes, it IS hard work. If you feel that way about running, I'm so glad for you that you don't have to. You don't like running?" What you say can depend on what they're likely to say. I find for me, rehearsing what I might say in advance of it ever being said makes it easier to find the right words when I need them."

As to people looking at you. Most people are too preoccupied with their own issues to worry too much about you. And kind people are more likely to admire you for getting out there & trying.

Cheap Walmart running shoes aren't ideal but do what you have to do if you're on a tight budget. I'm poor as a church mouse so the only thing I managed to buy WAS shoes. I wear loose, comfy clothing to run in & simply use a watch for time keeping. The first several weeks, I was too busy trying to keep moving to worry about music or anything like that. All that sort of stuff is optional. Mankind has been running since the dawn of time with nothing but his feet!

Just keep it very, very slow - even if you feel like you're moving barely faster than a walk. That's what I do & believe me after you've been doing it for several weeks, you'll be so proud of yourself for doing it, your speed won't matter that much. What's important is to be able to keep up the running intervals as best you can & if that means moving like a turtle - then be the best turtle you can. Don't worry about breathing through your nose or mouth - just get the air in & out as best you can. Take smallish steps & after a while, your body will automatically start moving in a way that works best for your body. If you start having problems with soreness that won't quit, then you might look at how you're running but right now, just worry about getting started & making a habit of it. You'll do fine!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• AngInWI Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010

I just found this site, and I'm excited (although a little anxious) about starting this!  I might be a couple of days behind you all, but I'll give it my best shot.  I plan on starting Wednesday (8/25).  I'm 39, single mother of one, very sporty 13 year old boy .  I've lost 38 pounds in the last 6 months and I'm looking to ramp up my exercise routine.  I'm a huge fan of walking, but have always wanted to be one of those crazy people that LOVE to run.  I don't get it - and I hope I WILL!   I tried to jog/run a few years ago & ended both my jogging and walking endeavors with some kind of pulled tendon in my foot **shrug**, hopefully w/ proper warm-ups & stretching I can avoid that again this time around.

Ang

• bmelNB Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010

What a coincidence!  I just happened to stumble across this site today when I got back from day 2 of C25K!  It will be great to share our experiences and tips : )

• mrsrorie Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010

I started yesterday too!  I did C25K four years ago, after having my son and it whipped me into shape!  I lost motivation when I separated from the military, but I'm back in it now!  Good luck everyone!

• Vester Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008

Ok.  Ok.  OK.

I'm in.  I'll be *gasp* 39 the day after tomorrow.  I need this.  I have a 4 year old daughter, and I'm ready to get healthy.

My goal is to lose 10% by 10/10/10 - hows that for a goal?

I"m seriously seriously seriously new at running.  So new that I dont even have running shoes yet.  I'm going to get them for my birthday on Thursday though I think !!!

I'll have to figure out where I"m at on the schedule, and try to catch up to all of you - I'm really excited I found this forum!!!!

Vester    

• Skyyosborne Amateur 39 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010

Hi,

I just completed W1D2 and I"m feeling really good.  One more day to go!  Good luck everyone working on days 1 and 2, I know you can do it.

C25K Started:  8/22/10

C25K Completed:  10/20/10

Harvest Moon 5K  9/22/10  45:24

Skeleton Skamper 5K 10/30/10  38:12

Thanksgiving Day 5K 11/25/10  40:30

Know your limits, but never stop trying to exceed them. ~Author Unknown

• msdamsel Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Ok so I was in such a hurry earlier to start C25K that I forgot to introduce myself.  I'm 42 with three kids ages 13, 11 and 9.  I live on Vancouver Island BC where the weather has been wonderful!  I did my first W1D1 today and if I can steal a quote from SlogOn, I was being the best turtle I could be but I did it!   I plan to run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.  Good luck to everyone doing their W1D2 and D3!

• auburnlucy Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2010

Well, I am one sore C25K today (completed W1D1 yesterday).  I started on our treadmill and after accidently pulling the 'kill' switch and almost killing myself, I took to the driveway and my road.  I know it wasn't pretty, but I got done.  I know tomorrow is going to hurt, but I will push through.  Is anyone else very sore???  I'm not injured, but surprised at how very sore I am- especially my thighs (burn baby burn) :-)  Good luck tomorrow!

~Carla

started W1D1 Aug 23rd

First planned 5K "Jingle Bell Run" Dec 4, 2010

• yesfantina Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010

Hi - Ok, I started W1D1 Monday and it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be.  I thought to myself while jogging slowly, 'hmmm i can DO this' - now the only real question is will I continue to be motivated and actually DO it?   I'm sore today which I didn't expect.  And I worked out a little on the Wii Sports Active instead of going onto day 2 - which hopefully (weather permitting) i will do tomorrow.

I'm 52 also - very overweight - and a stay at home mother of 3 daughters - 23, 19 16.  I need to do something for myself now..  Maybe this is a start.

-Tina

• Skyyosborne Amateur 39 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010

Well I did it, I just signed up for my first 5K on 10/30/10.  I guess there's no turning back now.....

C25K Started:  8/22/10

C25K Completed:  10/20/10

Harvest Moon 5K  9/22/10  45:24

Skeleton Skamper 5K 10/30/10  38:12

Thanksgiving Day 5K 11/25/10  40:30

Know your limits, but never stop trying to exceed them. ~Author Unknown

• MamaLuRunner Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010

How did you do?  I decided I wanted to start running in January and have always hated running long distances.  I ran track in high school, but was a sprinter.  This program turned me into a runner because it takes you one step at a time - literally!  Follow the program and don't try to skip ahead.  Robert Ullrey's podcasts are awesome!  I now love running and have participated in the Pat Tillman run (4.2 miles) in April, a 5K and an 8K.  I am now training fo a half-marathon.  It is the greatest feeling when you complete the program and can say "Yea, I'm a runner!"  Best of luck to you

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...