Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1622 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2007 10:52 AM by jrosenhahn
jodyjules Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2007 11:54 AM

training in high altitude

I have an Olympic distance race coming up in two weeks and I am going to the Rocky Mountains on vacation next week.  Obviously, I will be training while I am up there but I am interested in any tips I might get regarding training in high altitudes.  I currently live in a location with a lower altitude and want to make sure that I make the most of my training while I am up in the mountains.  Should I try to stick with my scheduled distances or decrease them due to the altitude?  Help!!!

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 29, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to jodyjules)
    Re: training in high altitude

you'll know once you get there. It'll be self-limiting, getting easier as your body adjusts. But you will feel it right away. So for now, don't make any plans on distance or speed. Give yourself time. I have limited experience with this, but I'm sure others will help you their expertise.

• jrosenhahn Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 3, 2007 10:52 AM (in response to jodyjules)
    Re: training in high altitude

Hi Jodyjules,

I live in Colorado and quite used to the higher altitude. I do notice that when I go running in the mountains (higher in altitude than Denver), I do notice slight variations in my body adapting to the change. Although,it shouldn't be too hard on your body, give yourself a couple days to adapt to the change and you will find the transition relatively painless and enjoyable. Listen to your body and maybe plan on some shorter runs at first. Your lungs work a little harder in that altitude. But most of all, enjoy the heck out of the mountains. Hope that helps

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...