Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1171 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 1:12 PM by dwm082 RSS
lovethosehills Amateur 32 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2010 10:16 AM

Walk/Run ratio...does this work?

I have been hearing/reading more about this recently. I am currently training for the Twin Cities Marathon in October; my first. Jeff Galloway promotes this method for your first marathon. While I have yet to try this, the concept intrigues me. I currently run 9:07-9:08's for my long runs. He implies that by a run/walk ration of 4min:1min, my time should not be impacted by more than 15 sec/mi. My goal is to finish in around 4 hours, and not to be carted away. Has anyone tried this? If so, what have been your experiences? I am schedule for 19 miles this weekend and am contemplating trying this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Aug 26, 2010 10:23 AM (in response to lovethosehills)
    Re: Walk/Run ratio...does this work?

Sure it works.  The Galloway method has allowed thousands (tens, hundreds?) of runners to finish a marathon.  Typically, though, Galloway recommends that you start your training with run/walk.  If you are up to a 19 miler at this point, why change your training program?  I would suggest taking a more flexible approach.  If you are concerned about stamina and know your race course, you could plan walk breaks at water stops.  That would be more natural at this point than trying to set up timers for a 4/1 run/walk pace, and would give you "permitted" walking breaks.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010
    2. Aug 26, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to lovethosehills)

I agree too. I have used it in the past and currently now that i tapered well off my path. The Runner's World Complete Book of Running lists Run/Walk tables. Once you're done building up then its all runs.

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 26, 2010 1:12 PM (in response to lovethosehills)

I used a run-walk strategy for my second of back-to-back marathon weekends last year. It worked out pretty well; I finished in a better time than I expected. The main thing if you're going to do this on race day is to make sure you're not right in front of anybody when you slow to a walk. I always checked over both shoulders and moved to the side of the road before shifting into low gear. Worked well, and I know the runners behind me appreciated it.

A useful run/walk calculator, even if you're not running ultras: http://runners.groups.vox.com/library/post/6a00e398c5c9dd0005011015fefa62860b.html

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...