Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18096 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 12:02 PM by AGC525 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Aug 26, 2010 11:43 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)
    Re: Do you even CARE about being fast?

Of course my goal is to be faster and maybe a non-Clydesdale.  Once again due to drugs(prednisone) and lifestyle my per mile time was 17 minutes+, but after several weeks of running it has dropped down to below 16 minutes per mile at 302 pounds. When i get down to 224 or below where i was before, I hope to see better times. (12 minute mile) Also, as i've aged, I hope to see me to advance up in places in my age bracket, but some of the runners at my age (56) are still running with good PR's.

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• ClydesdaleRunnin Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 18, 2009
    46. Sep 23, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

You know I do care - I try not to worry about it but I do care.

My current pace is about 18:30 per mile which is very slow I know I am sure lots of power walkers are faster than that.

I would love to get to 12:00 but that a lot to cut off.  I am current 310lbs and my goal is 286lbs - I know that still sounds like a lot but according to the numbers I will be at 15% body fat at 286 pounds.  I started at 410 so I am making progress.

The two reasons I would like to go faster is so that I can run farther in a certian amount of time and to be able to run with others - becasue of my pace I mostly run alone.  I like running alone so it is OK but it would be nice to have the option to run with a group.

My Blog is HERE   My DailyMile Profile is HERE   My Buckeye Outdoors Training Log is HERE

Every second and ounce counts  -  Keep the rubber side down!

• runner3041 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    47. Sep 29, 2010 11:15 PM (in response to RichardC040)

Aaaaaah....running injury free....now that's a nice thought.  I have been running for years and yet still have constant problems with shin splints.  Have tried different shoes, RICE, no hills, no speedwork, etc.  Now the past two years, I have been dabbling in barefoot running (which seems to take pressure off the shins and transfers it to the calves) and I am trying to learn the Pose Method.  Of course, I must have overdone something this summer, cause now my left shin has been screaming at me whenever I try to run a mile!  Been doing biking alot to take the pressure off the shins but I don't seem to be healing this time around.  My source of frustration?  I had my pace up to a 8:30mm when I was 38 and was looking at increasing it!  Now at 42, my pace has slowed (due only to the injuries?)so, yeah, I do care about being fast cause I had a nice taste of it!!

Anyone else out there with nagging shin splints?  Am I missing something or has my body said enough is enough!  I absolutely love to run so I am willing to try anything!!  Help!!

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    48. Nov 1, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to runner3041)

I'd like to be faster, I think it just comes with time. I'm gradually getting better, but I'm at a 12 minute pace right now (which is fine with me). Like someone else said, as long as I'm still chugging along thats all that matters to me.

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    49. Nov 1, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to pcsronbo006)

Honestly, no. I didn't start running until I was 42, and was never a fast runner in my youth. My goal is to be faster and fitter with each month, but I run my own race.

Plus, I set a great example of good sportsmanship for my young son -- I remind him that don't pout and cry when I don't win, I just do my best and keep on swinging.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...