Skip navigation

2522 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2010 9:52 AM by Souldog26CA RSS
Lyvere Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2010 5:25 PM

What does one wear on top for the bike phase?

Everything I read mentions transitioning into a singlet (or belt) for the run, I'll be swimming in a swimsuit (jammers) and I'm wondering about putting my singlet on in T1. If I do put the singlet on with the race number attached for the biking phase will it become a hindrance?

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 27, 2010 10:10 AM (in response to Lyvere)
    Re: What does one wear on top for the bike phase?

you might look into a tri top (it's like a bicycle jersey w/ pockets but tighter) that you can wear for the swim and the rest of the race cause putting a dry shirt on a wet body that is in a hurry is a lot harder than it sounds (if you do this practice this before raceday). and also look into getting a race belt http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2145.htm and skip the shirt all together if it is warm enough (and a short race)

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    2. Aug 27, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

Tri top.  Keep it on from the swim through the run.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• trisha1977 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2010
    3. Oct 20, 2010 4:47 PM (in response to Moriates)

I'm a newbie too, so this is a question on top of your question!  I got a hand me down tri top (I think).  Its a sleeveless shirt with pockets in back?  Do the pockets cause drag?  I'm trying to decide what to wear for my first Tri in AZ in November. 

• jeffrey l eshelman Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    4. Oct 20, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to trisha1977)

response to what to wear on top... i assume your just starting with a sprint...if you dont buy into a one piece tri suit yet, then do what i told a gilfriend. since it is a sprint(?) thenthe transition is probably the most important thing for now. dont worry about drag much and get something that can be shot on quickly. my friend got a snug fitting top and struggled for over a minute with it. not good for a sprint! if you dont buy into tri clothing then get something you can live with that is fast.  believe it nor not and front zip sleveless can be as quick as any pull over. the real drag will be the struggle to get whatever on after your wet. trust me! 11 years experience ay all distances  . you  will most surely catch on and get the bug and probably go longer. you will soon find yourself looking for a tri outfit or even wear a tri top that you can swim in and not have to even deal with that issue. imagine if you get a 30 second head start on someone on the bike. thats significant in a sprint........unless your not in it to race and improve. some are not.

• jeffrey l eshelman Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    5. Oct 20, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to Lyvere)

not usually required to have a number on with a belt or on your shirt. the race usually gives you bike numbers and body marking. don't pin things to a shirt in tri's. a race belt is a good investment as you will be using it more as you realize how things flow.

• Souldog26CA Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 1, 2010
    6. Oct 21, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to trisha1977)

I really wouldn't overthink it and worry about "drag" this early in.  Just finishing is a thrill, and soon you'll catch the bug!

To the OP: I started out with a sleeveless jersey under my wetsuit, then when it came time for the bike, I clipped on my race belt and swung it to the back.  THe reason I do this is because my run is my weakest, and I need that extra couple of seconds during T2.  Your mileage may vary. Just go out and have fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points