Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5105 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2010 11:12 AM by reedpat
vma1955 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2010 5:42 AM

Ouch...my feet are numb!

After riding nearly 25 miles, my feet are nearly numb.  Numb to the point that I must get off the bike, take off my shoes, and take a short break.  My feet may get the numb feeling sooner if I'm climbing a grueling hill.  Anyone else experience this?  If so, have you found a solution? 

• TylerDurdinUMD Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    1. Jun 29, 2010 2:00 PM (in response to vma1955)
    Re: Ouch...my feet are numb!

I've gotten pins and needles before.  I attribute it to my bike shoes breaking down (they're getting old) and all that point pressure on the ball of my foot.

When I get an easier part of the ride, I'll try to ease off the pedaling for a minute and clench my toes, then stretch them back.  Clench and stretch.  Also work the ankle up and down to promote mobility and bloodflow.

Better shoes might be the answer, but I don't have them, so I don't know.

2009 Pascack Valley Sprint Triathlon - 1:20:17

2010 Pacers Half Marathon - 2:09:37

2010 NJ State Triathlon (Olympic) - 3:33:19

Best little forum on the Internet:  http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/

• bohica74 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Jul 1, 2010 6:39 PM (in response to TylerDurdinUMD)

I used to have this problem. I bought a pair of Lake Tri Shoes, and after about 30 min of riding, my toes would be numb. I have since switched to a pair of Specialized road shoes that I absolutely love. the difference? Width. My lake shoes were too narrow for my feet. The new shoes are wide enough for my wider-than-average feet. Everything I've read on the subject of numb feet or toes suggests to me that it is improper fit that causes the problem. I also had to stop and do the clench thingy with my toes, but not anymore. Go try on a few pairs of different styles and see what works for you. When I tried on the specialized shoes, it was like YES! that's the one!

If your shoes fit just fine, you might play with the cleat position. I moved mine back a bit, but only to go longer distances. Apparently, the longer distance cyclists move the cleats back to alleviate hot spots, numbness, etc.

Good luck.

• BikeFit Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    3. Jul 14, 2010 8:25 PM (in response to bohica74)

depending on what cleats you ride, move the cleats all the way in towards the cranks and move them back 5mm for a first adjustment.

it could be the shoes but it could also be the cleat position.

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    4. Aug 27, 2010 8:56 AM (in response to vma1955)

Bohica74 gave you the best answer.  Could be a combination but those are the first 2 things you want to check out.

Happy Riding

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    5. Aug 30, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to vma1955)

It is either your shoes or bike fit. 

Each shoe is different also.  I can not wear LG shoes but Sidi's are perfect.

You really need to shop around for the perfect shoe, if that does not work, you likely need to get a bike fit.  I would schedule a bike fit had have them run you through different shoes at the same time. WIN, WIN!

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• MtnSpectre Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 9, 2008
    6. Sep 14, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to Moriates)

Before spending any money for new shoes or pulling out any tools to move cleats.  Try loosening your shoes!  I used to have the same issue.  All I did was stop cranking the latching system down so much....feels so much more comfortable and I can ride hours....longest time in them in one stretch.....7 hours with no issues at all.

• melissadb Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    7. Sep 14, 2010 1:14 PM (in response to vma1955)

I have the same problem but my feet go numb much sooner!  I will admit that I dont have any bike shoes yet since I am still somewhat new to cycling, and just dont have the money to buy everything yet.  But my feet go numb after like 5 miles.  It does not matter if I am on my road  bike, or any variety of stationary bikes they have at the gym, my feet always fall asleep.  It was so bad before that I stopped biking for several months.  Now I just ignore it, but thats probably not a good idea...  Do you think getting good biking shoes will help?

• MtnSpectre Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 9, 2008
    8. Sep 15, 2010 5:49 AM (in response to melissadb)

Stationary bikes just stink overall...Saddle is no good, pedals are no good.  I had the same issue when I did use stationary bikes though again, I stopped tying my shoes as tight as I usually do and it works somewhat.  Getting some SPDs for you bike IMO is a great idea though.  Just make sure you shop around for a great fit and see if they can let you spin in them on a trainer in the store for a while.  Not only will they give you proper support for cycling, they will also help transfer more power into each stroke.  Also, like they stated above....get your bike fitted!!  It took me years before I had it done professionally and WOW what a difference.  Although I was pretty close to where my measurements needed to be by doing a lot of research and trial and error but even with the slight adjustments I noticed the difference.  Good luck with the shoes!

• Geared Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    9. Sep 15, 2010 6:13 AM (in response to vma1955)

Long ago before clipless pedals, had the same problem. Just buy clipless pedals get decent shoes. Use the arc cleats! Never to have another foot problem!!

• reedpat Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2008
    10. Sep 15, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to vma1955)

Agree with bohica74 in the order given - width then cleat position. I had a pair of Nike shoes that my feet would go numb in less than 30 miles. Switched to a pair of Specialized which are wider in the toe box and the problem went away. The Sidi "Megas" are another good option as they have a wide toe box.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...