Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

94308 Views 573 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 7:28 AM by flamomof3 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39 Previous Next
  • kenliesmom Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    46. Aug 30, 2010 3:14 PM (in response to Alisha Dawn)
    Re: Starting C25K on Monday, Aug. 30th!

Yeah I dont have a watch...

• bearlythere Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    47. Aug 30, 2010 3:57 PM (in response to Alisha Dawn)

Hi there, day 1 was fantastic and can only say that the podcast made a big difference for me and obviously to everyone else as well.  You don't have to concentrate on stopping and starting only breathing and keeping things loose and staying the distance - I really loved it.  So glad to see others thinking the same.  Legs are a little sore today but not too bad.  I was just wondering whether there is any ideas of what your heart rate should get to before you stop.  I know when I made a goal of running for 1 hour about 4 years, it took me alot to get there cause I was always worried that my heart rate was high and it shouldnt be too high so it took me about 5 months or so to get there.  I think that as you get fitter your heart rate gets better and it's not so bad - just putting it out there for discussion!!!!!!!

Dec 14, 2007
    48. Aug 30, 2010 4:52 PM (in response to bearlythere)

Yeah... I found a ladies blog and she has mp3 files for each week of the c25k program.  Let me know if anyone wants it!  I will be doing my first day tonight after the husband gets home and I can do my run/walk all by myself!

• Debbie854 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 28, 2010
    49. Aug 30, 2010 4:59 PM (in response to kenliesmom)

I would be interested in the mp3 files Thank you Kenliesmom

• Chefgirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    51. Aug 30, 2010 5:29 PM (in response to Alisha Dawn)

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to say HI!  I'm Marianne...

I'm an old "new" runner!!  I've always loved to run, was training for a marathon but due to a torn ACL/MCL -  non related to running, I had to give it up for quite some time - I'll admit the last few years have been more of a mental thing..  I started running again last December, all on the treadmill, and transitioned too fast to outside running and developed achillies tendonitis.  After a few more months of rest and rehab, I'm running again.... I've been running 4x a week since the beginning of August, and as hard as it is.. I'm taking my time and building my miles slowly.  I run for distance at this point.. and actually ran 1.75 miles today!  I'm hoping to be ready for a 5k sometime in early - mid october.  I signed up for the C25K because I like the accountability of the calendar and the emails - it keeps me focused on doing things the right way.

Today, something really clicked.. it was the first day that I really felt like I turned a corner and remembered why I love to run!!!

I'm looking forward to support.. and supporting!!!

Cheers!

Marianne

Dec 14, 2007
    52. Aug 30, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to Chefgirl)

I failed miserably today... I tried but couldnt seem to run for a full 60 seconds of running.  After the first 60 second run I wanted to sit down and rest so bad and I almost did but I talked myself out of it.  I just walked the stomach cramps out that I got from running.  I did 5 or 6 of the runs and probably only got to 30-45 seconds of running before I went back to walking.  I feel so pathetic.

After the 6th run and walk I sat down for a few minutes and then walked home.  This was so hard for me but I know I will be able to do better next time.  I hope you all had a much better first day than I did!

A little about me...

I am not a runner and I never have been but I want to be more fit and healthy.

My name is Amber (28) I am about 216 pounds and I am 5ft 3 inches.  I have been pretty sedentary other than the normal up and down stairs cleaning in my home.

Thanks!

Amber

• Ken70823 Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    53. Aug 30, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to kenliesmom)

Don't fret, Amber!  Everybody here knows this is HARD!!  I actually tried my first day on Friday, and I only made it through the first four runs, and then I gave up and went home.  But then I tried again today, and I made it all the way.  I'm sure you will find on your next attempt that you will be able to do better.  This isn't a contest!  Nobody's judging you!  Just get out there and run, and do the best you can for you.  And I promise you will get there in the end.

--Ken

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    54. Aug 30, 2010 6:37 PM (in response to kenliesmom)

No Amber - you did NOT fail. You succeeded in running intervals of 30-45 seconds. You know your BMI as well as I do, (yeah I just punched in your numbers & looked it up!) & frankly *I* am darned proud of what you did today. That took determination to even try & pure guts to keep going when you found it so tough the first time. YOU DID NOT FAIL!

Okay first of all - the stomach cramps. I don't know how close to your run you might have eaten but try to make sure you haven't eaten within a few hours of heading out there. Then your running speed - keep it slow. How slow? Near the end of your warmup walk, slowly speed it up until it's really not comfortable to walk. Edge into a very slow trot - emphasis on VERY slow. As long as at any point in time both feet are off the ground, it's technically running. Just keep it really slow - small steps & keep your knees fairly loose. Don't sweat your breathing or anything else - just keep very slowly trotting forward. And if you can't do the whole 60 seconds - then don't. The idea is to get your body used to this. Girl, some people have needed weeks & weeks of mostly walking before they could do Week 1. So what? Nobody is going to confiscate your running shoes because you're not 'qualified'. If you want this, then take the time your body tells you it needs. And if it needs longer - no biggie. As long as you eventually get where you want to go.

The running world WILL wait for you. I've discovered runners are generous people - generous with their time, their hard earned experience & their good wishes. We all want you to succeed & we're not holding up stopwatches & frowning. This is the Newbie forum - we're all struggling with different aspects of the program & I can't tell you how many posts I've read from people who have a dog of a time with the first week. Some take a long time to get there, many have to repeat Week 1 & other weeks.

Please please don't be discouraged & don't give up. We're rooting for you!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

Dec 14, 2007
    55. Aug 30, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to SlogOn)

Thank you so much that helps a lot!  I am not going to give up I am gonna do this I may just have to repeat week 1 a couple times.  Well see how I can progress.  I hadnt eaten for probably 4 hours before my run/walk.  I had always heard I get the stomach cramps because of the way I breathe when I run... but I am not sure.

Ken.. thank for you words to.  They mean alot!

• Chefgirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    56. Aug 30, 2010 7:08 PM (in response to kenliesmom)

Amber..

We all go through what you just described.. but don't be too hard on yourself!!

All you can do is start again... you may have to repeat your workouts.. you may want to quit.. you may feel like you are failing..

but then you start again.. and before you know it... you're not starting again.. you're continuing on a path that you determine!!

You have to listen to your body and do this on your terms!!!

you really can do it!

marianne

• LISAHEMP Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 28, 2010
    57. Aug 30, 2010 7:14 PM (in response to Alisha Dawn)

Congrats to everyone who attempted or completed their run today!!!

I completed w2d1!!!  This is my second week to do week 2. It was a lot easier today then last week.

It only took me one week to do the first week. I am really hoping not to have to do every week twice.

I am thinking of moving on to week 3 on wednesday but not sure....

LISA

• bearlythere Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    58. Aug 30, 2010 7:32 PM (in response to SlogOn)

Hey Amber, dont look too much at the way everyone else is going - you're only competing with yourself and if you do even a little better than last time, you're doing great.  Each little time becomes your personal best and really if your looking at it like that, you'll find yourself in a more positive frame.  Go for it girl!!!!

• michelefb Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 29, 2010
    59. Aug 30, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to kenliesmom)

Amber,

First !  You did GREAT !!  You found the strength to get started.  That's 1 step closer to your goal. Tomorrow, try again, even if it's the same routine...  you will do it!   Each day, make it a point to look forward, not back.    A little about me:  I started with Knee surgeries at 16, and now at 40, I am still going.  Pain and all, I have had setbacks but keep trying.  I was always active even at 165 ( 5'2) I kept moving and challenging myself.  Until my first child was born, now 9. He had medical issues and we ran from state 2 state, it was about him, not me. While pregnant, I had visions of backpacking with him toted along, I couldn't be further from life as I wanted it.   After I finally settled in to his issues at about 3, I started the treadmill.  I took off the baby weight and after awhile (looong while), I was running 9 miles a day until I couldn't get moving one day, I was pregnant with twins.  I was told to keep it up but within limits. (slow down)  I wound up on complete bed rest with a pump in my leg for meds to keep contractions at bay.  Of course they were early so medical issues were all over again x 2 at once!    I have been on the run for 3 1/2 yrs now with them. Honestly, I never get to sit down but somehow the weight crept on.  The week of May 22nd, I was at the docs and was at an even 200 LBS.  I kind of thought for a moment and said " what the hell am I doing? "...   I couldn't sleep at night, I was tired all day and I had enough.    Somehow, the next day, I made it on the treadmill and started real slow.  I knew that I would have to lose 20 Lbs. before moving, as I would blow out a knee.      Now it's August 30th P.M and I have made it to 37 Lbs. down. And started the program this morning.    Daily, I walk the neihborhood with a friend (she needs it also) for about 40 min. at 6AM and then hit the treadmill before the kids are up.   I'm up to 5 1/2 miles on it.     Of course, I hurt...   Went to the orthro tonight to make sure I was not damaging the hip or knee that hurts so much...   Clean bill, keep going.  Some arthritis but not enough to stop.  Kneecap is perfectly centered which I am so happy about. The hip has arthritis but keep going.   So... basically my point......

Get some great music going in your ears, drown out any noise, so what you are not moving as fast as you want to.... only you know that over time, it will help starting slower.  Over time, things will look up for you.   It takes time and only you can do it.   Please do not feel depressed over it, it's amazing to feel the clothes get bigger... the pants I cut down to shorts are now falling off me.   I sleep great at night (except for the hip and knee pain). And I'm not tired all day!!

My biggest obstacle will be when the kids start school, can't do the AM treadmill any earlier (tenants downstairs) and I also return to school for me, have to sew my mouth shut (culinary school).

I watch how much I eat, saving the bigger calories / fatty foods for when I really crave them. Big Mac?.. Nah, I'll save the calories for another day.  I did not get my fat butt from a thyroid condition, cant blame it on that, it's normal.

One day at a time!  I can go on for hours and tell you some of my life, you would be amazed...   Only you can do it...   If you need to blow off some steam or gloat on a great day, micfrizz@mac.com is my personal address.  Support is so helpful when you need it.  I've been there and will have a lifetime of it.

michele

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...