Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

450 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 3, 2010 9:32 AM by JayDubb76 RSS
Jim081523 Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2010 9:19 AM

Why is the jump from week 3 to week 4 so large?

Hello Everyone,

I am on week 3 day 2 of C25k. I'm running 9 min each work out. I looked at week 4 and it jumps to 16 min of running. That seems like a huge jump in running time. Has anyone had problems with this increase? Does anyone have any advice to make the increase easier?

Thanks,

Jim

• JayDubb76 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 3, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to Jim081523)
    Re: Why is the jump from week 3 to week 4 so large?

Hi Jim,

I wondered the same thing myself until I actually got out there and did week 4, and found it actually wasn't that bad.  The important thing to remember is that the C25K program is a guide and it is important to listen to your body and go at your own pace.  If the jump from week 3 to week 4 is too big, find some middle ground.  I think you should try week 4 first though.  You might be surprised by how well you do.

If you do the math on the distance vs time versions of the program, you see that if you follow the time directions you end up running a larger portion of the workout than if you follow the distance directions.  The first time I did the program, I did each week twice, the first time I would go to a local track and follow the distance directions, then the next week I would do the time directions.  This made the transition from week-to-week and the program overall much more gradual and effective for me.

Good luck,

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...