Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4319 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 1:11 PM by AuntieMoo
SebKnowsBest Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2010 12:01 AM

I think my legs are dying...

I went for a 2.5 mile jog with a friend on tuesday this week (it's thursday now, fyi).  It wasn't anything too strenuous, we were jogging a 3rd of a mile, then walking a bit, then jogging a 3rd of a mile, then walking etc, until we'd jogged 2.5 in total (not including walks!)

The thing is, I haven't jogged since... well... ever, and now, 2 days late, I'm walking like John Wayne after spending a night in a gay bar.  My upper thighs are aching like hell at the front and outside edge.

I tried a hot bath last night, and while it kind of helped for a while, it didn't last.  I put heat rub on my thighs, that didn't do much either...

What should I do?  After the session on tuesday, we agreed to go again tonight, to try and get into a pattern of going at least twice a week, but at the moment I can hardly walk properly, let alone run!

Google searches yield totally opposite opinions, from 'You need to rest until it doesn't hurt anymore' to 'you need to keep running through it, and work the muscles back to health'

Can anyone help me?  What do I need to do?  Ultimately I want to go for a mini marathon or something maybe next year, so I can't let my legs die!

thanks in advance,

Seb

I don't live in Micronesia, but it forced me to pick a state despite living in the UK. 

And Micronesia sounds funny...

• crimewriter Amateur 7 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    1. Sep 2, 2010 5:38 AM (in response to SebKnowsBest)
    Re: I think my legs are dying...

Well, Seb, I reckon that 2.5 miles jogging, even if broken up by some walking, is pretty optimistic for a first-time run! You don't say how old you are, but even if you're, say, in your early twenties, it will take a day or two for your legs to recover. I work on the principle of putting muscles under stress then giving them time to rest and adapt, so you probably need another day or two of non-running before setting off again with your friend. On the other hand, it's a good idea to keep those muscles working and the blood flowing to get rid of the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles, so you could walk -- or even amble -- a mile or five on your days off, which would probably be better for you than sitting at a computer or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and congratulation on your amazing effort on Tuesday!

I'm in the UK, too, BTW. A hilly part. And I chose Alaska as my state. I thought it sounded exotic, though not as exotic as Micronesia, obviously.

crimewriter

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    3. Sep 2, 2010 6:09 AM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

If you haven't yet have a look at a program on active.com called the Couch To 5K program.  People abbreviate it to C25K.  It's a great program to do just that:  Get someoen from not being active at all to running a 5K.  At first glance it may look particularly long - it's on the order of 9 weeks.  It takes a while for your body to get used to running and this program (it's a series of walk/run intervals) will get you into it wihle minimizing the serious new-runner discomfort.

Good luck!

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• crimewriter Amateur 7 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    5. Sep 2, 2010 6:56 AM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

That's excellent advice from Haselsmasher, Seb. If you follow a program like C25K you're less likely to injure yourself -- and then give up.

I started C25K on 4 August after a 20-year break from running. Today, just four weeks after my first stumble round the footpaths, I completed Week 5 with a 20-minute non-stop run. C25K is basically interval training, three days a week, so you really see progress right from the start. The other thing about the program is that you can download podcasts designed specifically for it on to your iPod (or other MP3 player). These give you cues for when to run and when to walk -- and when to stop and go home. I use Robert Ullrey:  www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts. Also DJ Beatsmith: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html. You can download them from iTunes, I believe.

Two good things about the podcasts: 1. They're free and, 2. You don't have to keep looking at your stopwatch.

And yes, I earn my living as a writer. Crime novels even, would you believe?

crimewriter

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    6. Sep 2, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

Considering that you are a brand new runner, all of the aches and pains that you are feeling are to be expected.  Here are some pieces of advice that I think you might be able to benefit from:

First off, to take care of your pain there is a coarse of treatment that goes by R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  This is kind of a "cure all" to a lot of the aches and pains that come with running.  The hot bath that you took actually made your muscles feel worse in the long run.

Next, your pain may not only be coming from starting to run, but also, you may not be wearing the right shoes for you.  You need to go to a good running store (not a general sporting goods store) and get properly fitted.  Pay attention to what they tell you since you'll be able to use this info. when you buy shoes for yourself.

In regards to losing weight, your diet is just as/if not more important than exercising, so make sure you're putting good fuel in.  "Garbage in, garbage out".

finally, as the other posters have mentioned, you may want to look into a running program.  You've already cleared the biggest hurdle (getting started) and a program will help you continue moving in the right direction.

Good luck, stick with it and I hope this helps!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 2, 2010 7:15 PM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

SebKnowsBest wrote:

Right!  I did some research into C25K, and have now jumped on the plan. 

My question now that I've done this is:

Is there any way to print it, or get it as a day by day OTHER than logging onto this site?  I don't always have internet access, so would love to be able to print my training plan off... but there's no obvious way to do it.  I feel I've paid $20 for something I can't really get full use of....

any idea?

If you go here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml, you should be able to print the whole article (4 pages), which includes the schedule.  Here's another good site with a variety of resources: http://www.c25k.com/.  Some are free, some have a charge.

Len

Len

• ShonaP Pro 125 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    8. Sep 3, 2010 7:07 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

In addition to what the other posters have said.. do you stretch after your runs..  Definately look into it.

Pain is temporary.  Quitting lasts forever ~~Lance Armstrong~~

07/26/2010 - C25K Started

10/01/2010 - C25K Graduated!

W9D3 - Completed

Completed Runs

10/09/2010 - North Central Alabama Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure - 42:20

My Blog

My Couch to 5K

• Violina Expert 42 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    10. Sep 7, 2010 8:28 AM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

stretch, stretch, and stretch some more.

I do light stretching before all my runs and longer, more thorough ones after I'm done.

If my legs hurt due to increased distance etc., I stretch again after I get home, after the shower, and before bed.

just remember to be gentle, you don't want additional tears in your muscle fibers. but yeah, definitely stretch.

gazelle sig.png

• AuntieMoo Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 24, 2010
    11. Sep 7, 2010 1:11 PM (in response to SebKnowsBest)

Seb - you can also down load the C25K podcast from iTunes if you have an iPod - down load all nine weeks which will provide you with the training for each week - Robert, the guy who created the podcast, will prompt you at each interval so you don't have to keep looking at your watch. It really is a terrific program and I give you credit for that 2.5 mile first outing... great work. I'm 2 weeks post C25K and still running 3 days a week with a few bike rides thrown in to switch it up a bit  and am now up to 3.5 miles (whoo hoo for me) - my first 5K is in 2 weeks and I am so excited (and nervous too) but I still haven't gotten to the point where I LOVE RUNNING - wish I were, but not just yet! Some days are still a struggle but so long as I keep the negative thoughts out it's all good!! Yesterday was a great run - I felt like I had wings!!!  Good luck to you and keep it going!!

Started C25K - 6.23.2010

Finish C25K - 8.22.2010

First Race - "Fit for Families 5K Run/Walk" Deer Park, NY 9.19.2010 - Time 33:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points