Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

842162 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 297 Previous Next
  • SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Sep 4, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to yalie8)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I've found taking any time pressures off myself incredibly liberating. I won't lie - it's a hard mental adjustment to make, or was for me. I grew up with the notion that REAL runners are always trying to go harder, faster... not my style so I never got into running. Now that I am running, the slow pace I use means I run... without power puking, without feeling I'm going to pass out or die. On the few, (I'm a new runner), good runs I've had, I've felt like I could go on forever. So clearly for me, a Penguin pace works.

That darned old school mental conditioning though - part of me keeps whispering it's not good enough. Well clearly, that's nonsense. If I tried to go much faster, there's no way I could manage the 36 minutes of straight running I can comfortably do now - 'comfortably' being a relative term!

So when that 'not good enough' meme whispers in my ear, I remind myself why I'm running. For fitness obviously, & the most seductive reason of all - I want to make the mental vision I have of myself running effortlessly for 10 miles or so, come true. And no, I don't mean 'effortless' as in no work involved - I want to be able to DO that... period. And if it ends up taking me over 2 hours, I don't really care.

I've only been running long enough to have cranked out six consecutive 5K runs. I'm still marvelling that I can DO that - me! And that sense of marvel is wonderful & hopefully will sustain me over the next week or two - I don't want to start stepping up my time or distance just yet. I've remained injury free & want to continue that. There's no rush to go faster. Going from the couch to 5K with no walk breaks in six weeks was faster than I expected. In time, I'll probably find I can run faster over what will be by then shorter distances. But if I don't, I don't.

And even if I never get faster, you bet I'm going to enter races. Everybody makes them sound like a wonderful experience & I'm curious to see how I'll do in races. And while a good time would be nice, I don't ever want to lose the child-like sense of excitement & pride I feel right now... just being able to run 5K without walking.

I'm about to add walk breaks. Instead of doing really long runs, I'm going to cruise through my community doing lone run/walks. I'll get to enjoy the fall colours & play tourist. That's best done at a Penguin pace!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Moseslee Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2010
    181. Sep 5, 2010 3:31 PM (in response to SlogOn)

May I join in here too? I have to say I don't really fit but reading all your posts is so inspiring to me. I have never been very good at athletics but I have a secret desire to run a marathon. I have read 'The Courage to Start' and 'Running for Mortals' several times now. I am starting the walking program because I am THAT out of shape! But I keep talking myself out of even thinking of it and I thought if I hear of other people who are "penguins" keeping on, then it will encourage me to stay with the program. I have picked out a 5K I want to do in 10 weeks. But I am too scared to even sign up to walk it. Maybe this will help.

Monica

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    182. Sep 5, 2010 4:38 PM (in response to Moseslee)

Hey Monica, welcome! Rememer what John said? The courage to START is often the hardest to find & yeah, I'm badly paraphrasing his very apt words. If you feel you're really that out of shape, then a walking program is the perfectly sensible thing to do. It gets you ready at a comfortable pace & lessens your risk of injury. It will help you find & build some fitness time into your schedule & by the time you're ready to start adding a little running to your walks, you'll have some time carved out for yourself.

Walkers, runners, those who combine both - they're all part of the community & you'll find you're in good company. I suspect for every member who registers & posts, there might be 100 or more people who simply read along. I bet there are a lot of people right where you are now, about to embark on a walking program before moving on to adding some running. You'll see quite a few benefits to a walking program if you're not used to a lot of walking time. Remember to progress at a pace that's comfortable for YOU. We're all unique in how we're built, our background with fitness & out challenges. Make this work for YOU & good luck!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010
    183. Sep 5, 2010 4:53 PM (in response to Moseslee)

Monica....WELCOME!

As I have read, find a friend to join you on your walks and eventually jogs and then RUNS!!! My first organized race i joined with my best man. Eventually, I found a group of associates that I meet with at the runs. Get to the race and ask around..."Is this your first race?" Even as an experienced walker, promote your friendship.

Welcome aboard Monica.

Oh Monica, what is the fear factor about registering for the race? For you it is just a walk....literally! You can register on race day in most races and walks on the day of the event for, like the name of the Clint Eastwood movie "For a Few Dollars More", but commit and register over the internet or save a few more bucks by registering at the local running store, a place of friends who will be able to fit you with the right shoes for walking, if you need them....Plus here in Colorado, they have a nice wall full of all the entry forms for all the upcoming races (within 30 days typically).

Again, meet your new comrads!

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• RFR Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008
    184. Sep 5, 2010 6:08 PM (in response to Donna914)

Greetings from a Penguin in Claremont, CA!  I love the term Penguin as a descriptor for those of us who just love to run, slowly, enjoying the thrill of just being able to move and feeling alive.  I had a stroke on May 21, 2008, 1/2 hour before my retirement party at work and spent 3 days in ICU, completely paralyzed on my right side.  I swore that if I recovered I had to make some drastic changes!  With God's help, my loving wife and a great neurologist I recovered.  Part of that recovery includes "wogging" (love that term too!).  At the time of my stroke I weighed 265 lbs (and at 5'6" that's alot!) and I hadn't put on jogging shoes for 20 years.  Since then I've shed 30 lbs and this morning I hit 6 miles running it in about 1 hr 15 minutes.  Claremont is a college town and I am easily clocked by students walking to classes, but what the heck, I am alive and loving every ache and pain because it means I am alive and can still move!

• StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010
    185. Sep 5, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to Moseslee)

Here's the website...looks like fun:

http://www.fortfright.com/flight.htm if you're in Ontario, Canada

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    186. Sep 6, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to Moseslee)

Monica36044 wrote:

May I join in here too? I have to say I don't really fit but reading all your posts is so inspiring to me. I have never been very good at athletics but I have a secret desire to run a marathon. I have read 'The Courage to Start' and 'Running for Mortals' several times now. I am starting the walking program because I am THAT out of shape! But I keep talking myself out of even thinking of it and I thought if I hear of other people who are "penguins" keeping on, then it will encourage me to stay with the program. I have picked out a 5K I want to do in 10 weeks. But I am too scared to even sign up to walk it. Maybe this will help.

Monica

Walking is how I started too, Monica. I live in Ohio where it gets very cold and I love to be outside so after sitting out the winter (and widening as I sat!), in late February I began by just walking around the block. That slowly turned from fifteen minutes to twenty to thirty until I was walking for an hour. A friend on FB was doing couch to 5k and I was curious so I began it at the end of March. I've had a few setbacks over the summer, but I'm now working my way up from 2 miles to the 3 miles for a 5K on Sept. 19th. So welcome to the Penguins!!! I understand the fear of signing up. I was afraid I'd come in last. (I might and that's okay.) I was afraid I'd look silly jiggling along as the walkers passed me. (I might and that's okay). I was afraid I would look so old next to all the young guns that might be racing too. (I might and that's okay.) I was afraid for reasons I'm not even sure I understand. (And that's okay!) But I bit the bullet and signed up on-line in the safety and comfort of my home and now it feels great to be looking forward to the event. I hope you will give yourself a chance. I love the idea of signing up at a running store. The thought never occurred to me, but many of the races are co-sponsored by running stores so I'd bet they'd have entry blanks. Whatever works for you. Good luck and hope to hear about great success in your future.

Oh. I too dream of a marathon. Well, not the marathon itself - that scares the crap out of me - but the I'd love to have a 26.2 sticker for my car!!! Two miles today - who knows about tomorrrow.

~ Nita

~ Nita

• sus e q Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 17, 2008
    187. Sep 6, 2010 11:20 AM (in response to Moseslee)

Monica, welcome! You fit beautifully! I too have always had a dream of running a marathon, which I haven't yet done and probably won't for a while. Do sign up for the 5k to commit yourself. Even if you walk the full way you will have an awesome feeling with the whole experience, the crowd, the tee shirt and/or cap, the goodie bag and best of all,  crossing the finish line. My first 5k I signed up and didn't tell anyone I had, I just wanted to have a goal for me, even if I never signed up for anything else. I did the 5k by myself, walked the full way, my time was very slow, but it was my first 5k and I will always remember the happiness I felt and saying "I did it" over and over. I was soooo proud of myself for sticking with my goal. I know you can do it too, you've already taken the first "step"!

• munecadef Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    188. Sep 6, 2010 11:29 AM (in response to Moseslee)

i started with a fleet feet beginner's running program.  so if you don't have a partner to start with, maybe a class?!?

• yalie8 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    189. Sep 6, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to Donna914)

I ran this morning at 15:4 pace, 3.8 speed, time 45:34, distance 2.95.  But I enjoyed every bit of it.  It was a lot of hills although.  I am training for a 5k thats in October.  I am 5 3/4 feet tall and weight 199 lbs.  Gain 20 from hysterectomy in March 2010.  My runs have been so hard with the extra weight.  Before the surgery I was completing a 3 mile run in 20 mins.  What a difference extra weight does to your performance and endurance. 

• yalie8 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    190. Sep 6, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to sus e q)

Yes, I agree with sue e q!  My second 5k was a blast.  The high spirit from the participants, vendors and the crowd was a great feeling.  It actually pumped me up to run.  It was so much fun that I cant wait for the next one.  The goodies bags are awesome.  I received so many cool things and products. Once I crossed that finish line, you couldn't tell me nothing...I was still happy like days after the race.  I did not care what my time was. I was thrilled that I compelted it with not stopping that much..Monica just do it!  That one time will have you doing more.  Trust me!  Good Luck!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    191. Sep 6, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to yalie8)

Argghh! about weight and its impact on our running, Yalie!  I used to be skinny, then menopause arrived and now I'm one of the legion of pudgy older women.  Ah, well, I'm still running -- and becoming more fit.

Took a run with the running club yesterday morning.  It started out actually nearly COLD.  That in itself was amazing, given the swelter up to now.  Labor Day has been simply gorgeous late summer weather.  The run was great fun.  First run where my hands were cold.  They stayed cold until about a third of the way into this run!  Then the sun was shining and it began warming up gradually.  Still, it was almost a shock compared to sweaty runs so far.  I was enticed out with the group when another club member emailed to tell me that a friend of hers who planned to mostly walk, would be coming out.  I didn't end up partnering up with a walker, though, in the end.  I ran about most of the run.  It was not a long run for most folks, but for me, it was a first long"ish" run outdoors, and on a trail that was new to me.  It was smooth and nearly all paved in blacktop.  I got to chat with another club member and get to know a couple of the folks.  Everyone was really encouraging and welcoming, as they were for the Fun Run series during the hot weather -- different crowd for Sunday morning than for the Fun Runs, it seems, too.

So even if you are, like me, a Penguin, don't think your local running club is not for you!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• BBBG Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010
    192. Sep 6, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Thanks for your note Turtle.  I started the C25K program this past June gasping for air after 30 seconds.  I finished my first ever 5K in under 40 minutes.  I was thrilled. This past Saturday I jumped on the treadmill and just starting running a 13mm pace.  I told myself I would not stop until I was about about to fall off the treadmill.  To my surprise, I ran 2 miles without stopping!  I could not believe it.  So now that I read your post about how you are running 8 and 9 miles, I know that I can - one day - work my way up to that level as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Overall Goal > to feel healthy and energetic.
    • Graduated C25K 8/26/10
    • Completed 5K August 28, 2010, Time 39:51, Group Finish 36/74, Overall Finish 1532/2167
    • Next 5K Saturday, October 10, 2010 > Goal is to finish in 39:00
  • marcemar Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    193. Sep 6, 2010 6:08 PM (in response to Donna914)

I too I'm a slow penguin and would love to be able to run a marathon one day.  I started at about 17 minutes per hour, but now I am up to 13 minutes if I run outside, however in the treadmill I can run much faster.  I was able to do 6.65 miles today in 1 hr, which is a 9.02 per mile, but when I run outside cannot seem to keep that pace.

• marcemar Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    194. Sep 6, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to Moseslee)

One step at a time.  I started by alternating 1 minute running and 1 minute walking alternating for about 15 minutes then the next day 2/1.  Keep doing this until you get to 1 mile.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...