Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2291 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2010 7:06 PM by ChubbyRunrGrl
ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
Nov 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2010 6:06 PM

Anyone running the Chicago Half - one week from today?!

My first half. I'm not going to lie, right now I'm absolutely freaking out about it. Eighteen months ago I was 50lbs heavier and since then have accumulated 11 race bibs now for 5k's through 10k's. I'm slow. I'm steady. I'm chubby. But I'm strong. A year ago I could barely hit five miles and was getting ready for my first 10k and NEVER thought I'd consider a half. Anyway, I am very much freaking out about the strict 13 minute pace they've set for the Chicago half. I chose this race because I knew it would be huge and would be a great first half marathon for me...and when I signed up months ago I was hoping I could be super confident about the 13 minute pace. And, I didn't think they'd really mean it. My goal is to finish under 3 hours. I finished 12 miles in 2:50 in my last long run so this shouldn't be a problem, but not sure if I can do 13 minute pace successfully for 13.1...last year, plenty of people finished in 4 hours or more even. Many newbies and slower runners will be running this I figure, it's CHICAGO.

The recent e-mail I received said since it just happens to be the same day as the Bears opening game (poor planning?!!!), they are enforcing the 13 minute pace and anyone in back will be asked to board the bus if they can't keep up.

I have worked so hard in the past six months and would be so amazingly let down if I have to board the bus. At first, I felt no pressure, my goal was 3 hours and to finish. But now I feel a LOT of pressure. As if I'll be running and in the 5th mile this bus is trailing behind me and I'm struggling to keep up.

I guess I just really needed to vent this. I feel a lot of pressure. I'm not the "just go out and have fun" type. I get extremely nervous for races and even nauseous as I get close to the end of a race. I've just gotten to the point when I am OK about being slow, I accept it and move on and just finish and sign up for another race to keep me going. But now I feel pressure because someone else is pressuring me. Oh, sigh. I know, I'm such a baby.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• StanleighCO Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 25, 2010

DON'T FREAK OUT....Go enjoy the half marathon.

Don't sweat it.  Always butterflies at anyone's first HM. Talk to the others around you...put the bib on, warmup at the race, stretch and enjoy the run.

Don't worry about the Bears game...it will be a LOSS. Nothing against the Bears, there's a reason we got rid of CUTLER. Which team will he be throwing the interceptions to? Anybody ready to guess the number of turnovers that he will throw? You may be back in time for the kickoff! It's the Lions...da Bears might win.

The jury is out on our (Broncos) season.

Stanley (stanleighco1 on Yahoo Messenger)

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

How did you do?

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...