Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

875 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 8, 2010 4:43 AM by Surfing_Vol
Doug87 Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 6, 2010 7:47 AM

Running in the Dark Gear…

Running in the Dark Gear… I am trying to get myself to run at 4 in the morning; will knock the run out and will not be rushing to complete it. As tough as it is to wake up early it is also tough to run when you can not see. Any gear to look into? I plan on grabbing few things here and from that building off of it. Few items are from Life Gear it has a flashlight, whistle, glow light and flash mode for $5. From Fuel Belt pocket holder and Race Belt from Fuel Belt. Possibly pepper spray and few first aid items such as band-aids and alcohol wipes to place in the holder. The Nathan Streak road vest would help in being visible. Few other items are reflective headwear, Road ID, and possibly a blinking LED light. Gear I already have is a small MAG flashlight, water bottle with holder, and two reflective ankle bands. Question is any other gear should look into? I am looking to do trail running and considering a headlamp. I was considering the Princeton Tec EOS for the bike and hook it onto the race belt. Do you have any suggestions on headlamps? Appreciate the response.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 8, 2010 4:43 AM (in response to Doug87)
    Re: Running in the Dark Gear…

Get a headlamp.  They work great, give plenty of illumination and aren't too distracting.  I don't think that hooking one on your belt or waistband would be too helpful.  I also don't know why you would need the maglight once you have a headlamp.

It seems to me that you are packing too much stuff unless you are planning on doing technical offroad running in the dark.

I run in the dark and don't carry anything different from daytime running except (1) a Nathan reflective vest and (2) occasionally a headlamp.  Usually I let my eyes adapt to the dark if I'm familiar with my running route.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...