Skip navigation

3368 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 8:53 PM by kenvin
airluis5 Amateur 30 posts since
Sep 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 6, 2010 7:19 PM

i need help from intelligent basketball minds!!!

okay im 15 from puerto rico.. ive been in about for or five teams already and have been unsuccessful though i consider myself to be a good player no one on the teams notices it.. i can shoot i can dribble and i am of average height my natural position would be SG.. on many ocastions ive been asked to play posotions like PG and i feel uncomfortabe on them. i know there is a lot to improve on my game but how can i get other players and coaches to notice that i can play and at a high level cuz seriously its frustrating??? :S

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    1. Sep 6, 2010 8:37 PM (in response to airluis5)
    Re: i need help from intelligent basketball minds!!!

You shouldn't worry about impressing people. Don't try and prove something, because players like that become selfish, and take the fun out of the sport they love.

Just worry about improving your game every day, and working hard, in games, practices, or individually.

Get the never quit attitude.

A coach will always notice a player who can play multiple positions, can play defense, can shoot, and can run a team. You should work on your shooting and try to adapt at being a PG as well. That way, you'll be a combo guard, and get more playing time, which you can try to do your best and perform hard, offensively and defensively, every day and night.

I use to wonder how could I impress friends, coaches, and teammates. But, after awhile, I just used them as motivation to work harder than before, and it's worked out for me. I've impressed them, I'm better than most of them, and it's sort of funny how they respect me so much now when I'm focused.

But, I can't stop trying to work hard just because they like me as a player and what I bring. I still work on my game daily to improve, and that's what you need to do.

Basically, just practice as hard as you can, when you can. Play AAU ball, school ball, and work diligently on and off the court, during the season and in the off season. Show that you're dedicated to being the best that you can be, and all your hard work will pay off. It's a process. You can sprint during a whole mile, because you'll get tired. Take a steady pace, that will put you in the best position to excel and win the race. Think about that as you practice. You may not see results the day after you practice a certain move, but if you practice over time, then I guarantee you will see a positive change in your game.

I hope I helped you man.

• PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    2. Sep 6, 2010 9:04 PM (in response to airluis5)

Play everday and never give up and give your hardest all-day.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    3. Sep 8, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to airluis5)

I agree with what everyone else has said and that is every day, work hard, and do your best in everything.

• usafhoopster Amateur 5 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    4. Sep 8, 2010 9:59 AM (in response to airluis5)

Okay, Luis, speaking from an older player like me and one who has coached players, Coaches like to see that you are coachable, can work within a team concept and will sacrifice for the good of the team. Having versatility and being able to play multiple positions is a plus. Show the coaches the strengths of your game while in private, you work on your weaknessess.  For me when I was in high school, I was a better than average offensive player but I lacked quickness as a defender. I worked on my footwork and became a solid defender, often being asked to guard the other team's best perimeter player in my junior year. Furthermore, being unselfish (by all means, take your shot when you're open and in rhythm), playing good defense, hustling and fighting for rebounds will make a good impression. My proudest acheivement in basketball is when my coach in my sophomore season gave me the "Team Before Self" award. I have tried to instill the same concept in my young son who is 5 and is just learning the game. Mold your game to the concept of whatever team you play on and ask yourself, 'What can I do to make this the team better?" Sometimes your team may need you to score, other times to be a willing passer or to guard someone who may be a bad matchup for you because other players are in foul trouble, etc.  Keep that in mind and I am sure you will make a lasting impression on your coaches..Good Luck, Scott

• PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    6. Sep 8, 2010 4:31 PM (in response to airluis5)

keep trying and good luck to you and your leauges.

• kentuckyfan1 Amateur 28 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    7. Dec 21, 2012 8:54 AM (in response to airluis5)

"Effort will never come to you, you have to keep trying and recieve i for yourself" My basketball coach said to me, one day at practice.

Great players don't quit, but losers do- Kentuckyfan1

• kenvin Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 27, 2013
    8. Jan 27, 2013 8:53 PM (in response to airluis5)
    i need help from intelligent basketball minds!!!

thanks ppl... i really needed some advice

kindle fire reviews - computer news

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points