Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2403 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 10:38 AM by Vera Lee RSS
prohr Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2008 7:36 AM

Garmin 405

I'm a newbie.  Has anyone tried the Garmin 405?  Is this worth the money?

• Lafomar Amateur 85 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Jul 28, 2008 2:09 PM (in response to prohr)
    Re: Garmin 405

There is another thread here somewhere that a few people did recommend it. Let me check to see if I can find it.

Mary

Mardi Gras Marathon 2009- 2:15:23

Next Race Up----To Be Determined.....lol

• Lafomar Amateur 85 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    2. Jul 28, 2008 2:15 PM (in response to Lafomar)

Thread is entitled "Which Forerunner Model do you Recommend".

Mary

Mardi Gras Marathon 2009- 2:15:23

Next Race Up----To Be Determined.....lol

• D F Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    3. Jul 28, 2008 3:05 PM (in response to prohr)

I just upgraded to the 405 from the 205.  It is a serious watch that does more than the average runner will need.  I like the styling first and foremost better than the 205.  It also comes with heart rate monitor, and slick software that can connect to the watch via a garmin stick, no wires needed.  The touch bezel is the key and the backlight is nice too.  Its really not that hard to use once you get the hang of it.  Can also use for cycling.  Measures elevation too.  I think its worth the money, but I'd shop around for the best deal

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 29, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to D F)
    D F wrote:

I think its worth the money, but I'd shop around for the best deal

It's new and popular so it is going to be $299 almost anywhere you shop (the heart-rate version is $50 more).  It won't go on sale for some time.

• mt.p.scfirefighter Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 15, 2008
    6. Sep 4, 2008 9:34 PM (in response to prohr)

I purchased my 405 (with HR monitor) for the Rock and Roll 1/2 in Va. Beach and LOVED IT!!!  Its a great tool to use, very accurate and user friendly.  I paid $350.00 for mine and it was the best choice I made.

• David-W Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    7. Sep 7, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to prohr)

I purchased the 405 and for the most part I've loved it -- easy to use and has a ton of bells and whistles. I have run into a problem with using it in hot weather, I sweat a lot and the sweat makes the bezel unusable and often causes the 405 to stop working all together. Once it drys out it's fine but in the hot days of this August in Philadelphia I just left it at home. I'm in the market for something that's basic and just works now.

• Vera Lee Amateur 33 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    8. Sep 7, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to prohr)

I use mine for running and cycling, it is a fun tool and I do upload all my workouts to the website, it is nice to see what you have done.  I don't have the additional toy to use it on the treadmill, so I only record my outside activities.  As noted elsewhere there is a problem if it is damp, the bezel control doesn't work, so when I begin my run I get it to the training screen and lock the bezel, at that point all I need to do is use the button to start and stop the timer, I have it set to auto pause if I stop moving during the run.   The only other issue that I have with it is that the battery needs to be charged frequently, I really only use it on the weekends and after two workouts (Sat & Sun) the battery is pretty low...  I do have some long workouts 2+ hrs often.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...