Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

933735 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

Wow, new ground for me this morning.  Our training run was supposed to be 9, we ended up going 9.7 due to some route confusion.  But we were able to keep about a 10:30 pace using walk run with 2 stops to refill water bottles with Nunn.  Fleet Feet manager met us on route with a cooler.  I am amazed we did so well and amazed how tired I am, but I am not sore thanks to all the pre/post stretching I did.  Next major run in 2 weeks (11 miles) I will try one of the recovery drinks rather than the breakfast approach.  Nap time before I fire up the grill.

Bill

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

Bill, love the ,"Nap Time"  with post race BP drop, I used to fight it...now I just nap. It's a great start to recovery

• Tinpanharry Amateur 14 posts since
    May 30, 2010

Bill, what a tremendous run.  I am onl running 5k a this point and dream of a 10k.  Congratulations!

2010 Sep. 11, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 26"10

2009 Sep. 12, Eureka Mo. Lions Club 'Race for Sight' 5k 33"10

• Laurelink Pro 70 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on chi running.  Last night I ran 4.17 miles (longest run ever) without stopping and without effort.  I think I found a level of chi running.  It was amazing because when I got home, I was hardly even phased.   That was my personal best.  No 5k competition, no beating my fastest speed, just a comfortable, rewarding and meditative run.  You all are my inspiration!

• denise26514 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010

@Laurelink - It is good to have someone to relate to in the caregiving department.  Our cousin has an autistic child, so I can understand your journey somewhat.  God Bless you.   You are a very special person .   As you know there a good days and bad days when it comes to caregiving.   If I think about it, this running stuff is nothing compared to caregiving.   I have come to realize that the mental race I have when running is NOTHING compared to the mental race you have to have being a caregiver.  

I can rock this running thing! 

Completed W5D1 this morning... It was a slow pace and somewhat hard, but I attribute it to the long weekend of eating crappy!   Oh well, I completed and that is all that matters!

Running rocks and I am going to rock this C25K plan! 

Blessings everyone...

Started C25K 8/9/10

Goal 1:  To get back in shape after spending over a year taking care of my handicap sister who became seriously ill.

Goal 2:  To run a 5K mid-late October  (hopefully after my sister's next (and prayfully last)  surgery)

Goal 3:  To run 5K at least 3 days a week

Goal 4:  Run a 10K - half Marathon in a year

Ultimate Goal:  Run a marathon!

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010

CalBiker:  On the martial arts background, I'm no Chuck Norris, that's for sure, but I did a stint with a Korean Tae Kwon Do/Judo combination style for a while.  We did the kicks and punches from Tae Kwon Do + the grapples, falls and throws from Judo.  I got up to yellow belt (one step up from raw beginner) when I started getting vertigo from the turning kicks.

I switched to the softer Tai Chi style.  It was probably a good thing, because I discovered later that I have a genetic kidney disorder and contact sports are *out*.  Tai Chi may be soft and slow, but it gives you a killer workout, especially in the thighs.  My partner was an Aussie with lupus.  We trained together in NYC with an elderly Chinese master for over a year.  I really miss that guy.

I've been off and on with it for the last 30 years, but part of it stays in your system no matter how long it's been.  The falling practice from Judo saved me in a fall in a dark parking lot over ten years later.  I instinctively pulled up and saved myself from a head injury.

Chi Walking and Chi Running are attractive to me because of that beginning.  You notice that Danny Dreyer is first and foremost a Tai Chi practitioner.  I would encourage those interested in Chi Running to get some Tai Chi classes under your belt at the local YMCA.  A lot of things like moving from the center, leveling the pelvis, the empty step, etc will become much clearer after some time with a good Tai Chi instructor.  I also love the meditative aspect.

Tai Chi is Rx for older people to improve balance and stability as well as improving overall health.  It also can help lower BP, but running has been doing that for me too.  My wife and I took her sister for classes after her stroke to improve her stability and balance.

Even with this Tai Chi background, Chi Running is still a challenge for me. 

I recently changed doctors. The new guy discovered that I have been on two calcium channel blockers, both of which lower heart rate.  My heart rate has been too low, hovering around 50. (and I thought it was from running)  He says that's why I've been so winded and running has been so hard.  He switched one of them and said I should feel the difference in a week.  I haven't had time to run since Friday (early AM meetings), but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Curtis,

Thank You for the reply. Sounds like you have a fairly good working knowledge of a few different disciplines, that is always good to have.

I have been training since I was 11 in Jeet Kune Do, Kali, and Tai Chi Chuan as my root disciplines up to current. I trained at the original Filipino Kali Academy back when Bruce taught occasionally and have stayed with it all these years with Guro Dan Inosanto now currently in the Marina Del Ray location where the name has been changed to The Inosanto Academy. Through the years I have trained in other disciplines but only to absorb what worked for me in areas I felt lacking such as many styles of Kung Fu, Wing Chun being primary. I also had a couple years training in Tae Kwon Do as I was fascinated with mastering their kicks. Along with that I also trained in Western Fencing, Silat, Escrima and Aikido but only to take a few things from each I felt were useful in my own JKD arsenal.

What surprises me is through all of these years is that nothing has ever been able to hinder my training like my new found Love of running has.

I have read Chi Running from cover to cover twice. I saw so many parallels to what I already knew and applied to my own running that I quicky realized I was already Chi Running before reading the book. Tai Chi Chuan, like Martial Arts and Eastern Philosophy is a way of life applied to all aspects of my living not just combat and fitness. I see you are a fan of Coelho?

Denise,

Yes, running sure does rock!

Onward and Forward !

• Cathy057 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 7, 2010

My son challanged me to do the c25k. I'm still running and he isn't !!!  I'm just starting my 6th week and can't believe I"m actually running.  I saw the post about the Wasatch Woman Race and it's going to be my first race.  I can't think of a better place in Utah than Thanksgiving Point for my first run.

• skirun50 Pro 80 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

Cathy, Welcome, Congratulations on making it through week 5!  I have only been running since the end of April and have really enjoyed it (most of the time). I am making progress slowly but surely. I have driven past Thanksgiving Point on I-15 but, have never been there. I am really excited for the race. My daughter lives in Salt Lake so. I will drive down and stay with her the night before.  I live near Logan. What part of Utah do you live in?

4/24/10: 5K Run for the Red Cross 44.9

6/26/10: 5K Runners North 36.00

* Broke 8 mile mark 8/15/10

9/11//10: 5K Apple Days 31:49

9/18/10: 5K Top of Utah 30.37

10/2/10: 5K Pumpkin Run 30.02 PR

10/9/10: Wasatch Woman 6K, 39.07

10/23/10: Run for the Ringers 5K, 30.02

Upcoming Goals:

TOU Half marathon 8/27/11

Feb 23, 2010

CaliBiker: Sounds like you are way beyond me.  I have been too busy and moved around too much over the years to really be consistant with my MA training.  Still, I use what I know.  I tend more toward the internal, meditative side.  Running is a spiritual discipline for me, whith physical and health benefits.  It is something to challenge myself in new ways, since I let myself get so out of shape in the last 10 years.

Paulo Coelho?  I've read some of his stuff.  I may not be a real fan, but I liked that quote.  I am a bookworm though.  I have lots of favorites.  But that's a different thread.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

I've heard that you should do intervals on treadmills because the treadmill keeps you honest and holds you to a steady pace during the interval.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

Feb 23, 2010

We've been getting more fall-type weather (for SoCal) with pretty heavy overcast near the beach, temps hovering around 60.  It's staying darker for longer.  Ugh! Now I have a daily debate with myself, "long sleeves or short?"  It was 63 when I started, just about my limit for starting in short sleeves.  But the first mile is a good warm-up.

I did the 3.5 mile loop, running the first 2.5+.  The weight is back down to 197.5 and I'm hopeful that this Type O low carb diet will help.  About 6 pounds dropped off in the first week, probably water retention.  I'm past the carb craving stage and that's a blessing.

The extra recovery days (last run on Friday) helped the groin strain, so I quit at 2.5 when I started feeling it again.  That is the regulator of my mileage these days.  The heart rate has picked up to about 60 bpm.  I'm trying to be aware of my energy level to see if it improves with the increasing heart rate.  I did feel better while running today.

Paulo Coelho is a Brazilian writer, most famous for The Alchemist, which is pretty good.

1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...