Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11394 Views 64 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2010 6:19 PM by Carolyn43577 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Carolyn43577 Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 4, 2010 6:05 PM (in response to denise26514)
    Re: c25k started 8-8-10

Had to cancel the trip. My car broke down. They had to replace the shifter. It was stuck in park. I had to call a tow truck.  I was suppose to run today, now im going to be off schedule.  I woke up too late. I will run in the morning and catch up next week.

• Faith1011 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010
    46. Sep 6, 2010 6:30 PM (in response to Carolyn43577)

go to Itunes and search couch to 5 k and there are free weekly podcasts

• denise26514 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    47. Sep 7, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to Carolyn43577)

@Carolyn - sorry about your car... What a bummer... The weekend flew by and we came home last night. 

Ran W5D1 this morning... It was a HARD run... I attribute it to a long weekend of eating crappy... no worries though... I finished and that is all that matters...

Blessings!

Started C25K 8/9/10

Goal 1:  To get back in shape after spending over a year taking care of my handicap sister who became seriously ill.

Goal 2:  To run a 5K mid-late October  (hopefully after my sister's next (and prayfully last)  surgery)

Goal 3:  To run 5K at least 3 days a week

Goal 4:  Run a 10K - half Marathon in a year

Ultimate Goal:  Run a marathon!

• Amy69500 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    48. Sep 7, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to Bridetobe91011)

Hi Guys,

I'm back from vacation. My ipod died a few weeks ago and I’ve been struggling without it. Today I actually came up with a mantra and it helped a lot. Never even though of having one but it just came to me and repeating it helped me get those last 10min done without looking at my watch once. I plan on using it from now on...who knows I may be able to live without the ipod after all.

Aug 8, 2010
    49. Sep 7, 2010 4:57 PM (in response to Amy69500)

Hey everyone. I am getting ready to do week 5 day 1 tonight, but this week scares me.  How do we do 20 minutes straight by Friday. I hope I can make it.  I bought a mp3 player to keep my mind off the run, I hope it works.  What is your mantra?

Aug 9, 2010
    50. Sep 7, 2010 6:56 PM (in response to Carolyn43577)

Carolyn

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I ran W5D1...  tomorrow's 8 minutes don't seem possible, but I finished day 1 so there must be a method to this madness!

I downloaded the 'Couch To 5K' podcast by Robert Ullrey.   It has helped me even though there are days I want different music.   Once I finish this program I know I will be using my own music... The thing with this podcast is that he helps with the timing of when to walk and run....

Hope your run went well. 

Blessings!

Started C25K 8/9/10

Goal 1:  To get back in shape after spending over a year taking care of my handicap sister who became seriously ill.

Goal 2:  To run a 5K mid-late October  (hopefully after my sister's next (and prayfully last)  surgery)

Aug 9, 2010
    51. Sep 9, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to Carolyn43577)

Emotional progression of my run today:

- feeling good - ready to rock and roll

- feeling okay a little slow, but no worries  - must be the cool temps 58, but I LOVE this weather... I am sure it will get better as I run

- confused - something isn't quite right... is it the cool weather or the water pouch I decided to use this morning - legs feel like bricks

- shocked at how hard the first 3 minutes of the first 8 minute mile feel... had to actually take a few walking steps????

- angry that I feel like I have never run 10 yards... what the heck is going on.... I can hardly pick up my legs...

- sad - I could not finished the last 8 minutes without stopping at the 5 minute mark..

- determined - ran an extra 3 minutes...

W6D2 finished, but it was not pretty... actually pretty ugly...

Do you think it would be a good idea to try again tonight?  Has anyone ran in the morning and again in the evening?   I don't want to injure myself, but I am totally bummed with my run this morning...

W5D3 - one 20 minute run... ???? HELP me!

Started C25K 8/9/10

• Erin1811 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 9, 2010
    52. Sep 9, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to Bridetobe91011)

Hi everyone! I have read through the posts here and am so encouraged! I've tried C25K a few times and never got past week 2, just didn't keep up with it. But I'm going to now! I just signed up for a 5K in Nov, so I have to! I did W1D1 on Tuesday, but stopped with two intervals to go (it was hot and I had made it back home). I am going to do W1D2 today, and WILL do the whole thing.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    53. Sep 9, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to denise26514)

Denise - I can offer my 'slightly ahead of you in the program' experience. At the end of the week 6 is the 25 minute run - I had to stop after 13 minutes. It was too hot & humid & I was starting down the road to heat exhaustion. That was shortly after noon & I felt like a complete failure - never mind as a runner but as a human being! The weather changed dramatically over the course of the afternoon, I ate a bit & drank a lot of juice. I tried again just after supper... no problem.

More recently, I ran Monday. The run purely sucked. No aching, pains, stiffness; no problems breathing. I simply felt as though each leg weighed 100 pounds & I'd learned to walk yesterday. I finished the run but again, it was pretty discouraging. Thw weather was nice - cool & cloudy, I was rested, well fed & hydrated. My 'week mates' & genuinely experienced runners told me sometimes it just happens.

I should have taken Tuesday as a rest day but got an itch to run after supper through a dry lightning storm. Never said I as sensible...LOL It will be a long time before I forget that run - it was pure magic. EVERYTHING was right about it. I felt like a feather, floating, flying. I was a gazelle, a record setting Kenyan, sprinkled with fairy dust - I dunno but oh man, it was awesome. In the end, I was only about 30 seconds faster for the distance than usual but I wouldn't have minded if I'd been slower. It was the kind of run I'd love to have more often but I expect it's rare.

If you've got no injuries & feel better within yourself later this evening, try it. Make sure you're well hydrated & not rushed. Or... try again tomorrow morning.

Good luck.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

Aug 9, 2010
    54. Sep 9, 2010 4:45 PM (in response to SlogOn)

Slugon

Thanks for the encourgement.  Unfortunately, I felt totally sluggish all day... I am not sick, just tired and sluggish.   I got plenty of sleep last night so that's not it.. May be stress related to my business.  I picked up 3 new clients this week who all want their project done yesterday!  

I think I will try again tomorrow morning...

If you could, send some of that magical fairy dust my way!   Hold the Kenyon running, feathered Gazelle!  LOL

Happy running!

Started C25K 8/9/10

Aug 9, 2010
    55. Sep 11, 2010 2:48 PM (in response to denise26514)

W5D3 done... not pretty .... may repeat week 5 because it was horrible the first time around.

Started C25K 8/9/10

Aug 8, 2010
    56. Sep 14, 2010 7:32 PM (in response to denise26514)

Denise,

take a day and regenerate. You will be ok. I just did the 20 minutes.  It was hard but I didnt stop.  I wobbled when i finished. Almost went down but I kept going.  I walked about 10 minutes after my run to cool down. My knees are sore.  Ill have to take it easy. Im behind. I just did my week 5 day 3 because i hurt my back and it took a week to heal.  Its better now. Im a little behind but its all good.  Dont give up, just keep going.

Aug 9, 2010
    57. Sep 16, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to Carolyn43577)

A head cold + plantar fasciits + a lightening storm halfway through a run =

Head cold started or I should say showed its ugly head yesterday. That could be why my running last week was so hard.. perhaps the little bug was starting then.

Plantar fasciitis seemed to be okay ... it really did not bother me when running until the other day (and today).

Streaky lightning storm halfway through my workout about an hour ago only added to the excitement (definitely be sarcastic!)....

Lastly I am stuck on week 5 without any success at running 20 minutes without issues....

I did purchase the ChiRunning book and have tried to incorporate what I have read to date... sure would be nice to have someone in my area who knew this technique so I could make sure I am doing it correctly.  Have to admit though, that despite the plantar fasciitis, I do feel a difference in my running.  My legs don't seem as heavy....

I will press on... I will NOT be defeated...

Happy Running everyone!

PS: Thanks to everyone for their wonderful words of encouragement.   You are my virtual running buddies! 

Started C25K 8/9/10

Aug 8, 2010
    58. Sep 17, 2010 5:04 PM (in response to denise26514)

Denise, You rock. You keep going in the face of adversity.  Dont let it get you down that it is taking longer. Your body will tell you when youre ready.  Have you looked at your legs lately?  I am growing muscles that I never had. Its so cool.  Its motivating me to work out my whole body. I need this firmness everywhere. I love it. Look at yourself. Im sure you are growing muscles in new places too. Its so cool! Keep going girlfriend.  I have faith in you.

Aug 8, 2010
    59. Sep 17, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to Carolyn43577)

On a side note my run last night went like this...7 minute walk, 10 minute run, 5 min walk, 11 minute run, 5 minute cool down.  I survived 11 minutes.  I hope I can make the 25 minutes.  It seems to repeat a lot next week.  Keep on going ladies and gentleman.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...