Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

733 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2003 9:00 PM by Guest
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2003 7:58 PM

i need help on training for spring track...

i run the 200m and the 400m....im just ending my winter track season......and i want to enter my spring track season already in shape, and i want to get good times as soon as i start. im not sure how to achieve that...my current 200 time is a 32, although i did a 29 once,at the end of spring track last year......and my current 400 time is 72 seconds.....i would like to atleast get my 200 time down to 27...and my 400 time down to 65...does any one have any specific and detailed advice for my training before the season starts?

thanx!

• Cully092 Legend 373 posts since
    Jul 4, 2002
    2. Dec 20, 2007 11:09 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: i need help on training for spring track...

quote:

Originally posted by termmy3:

try running.

I only run cross country so this probably wont help but, with xcntry you run a lot, so I would guess it is the same for track work on distance, then once or twice a week, do the exact distances of your races. I am sorry if this didn't help, but I thought I would try !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

AIM: Claxboy17

Cully[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Jan-23-2003).|http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Jan-23-2003).]

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 23, 2003 9:52 PM (in response to Guest )

Could you supply some background?  For example, what are your times for winter track?  Is your form good?  Can you sprint relaxed?  How far do you typically run in practice?  Do you do any lifting?  Before anyone can offer advice, they need to know a lot more about you.

• Born to Run060 Amateur 553 posts since
    Jul 1, 2002
    5. Jan 24, 2003 10:16 PM (in response to Guest )

I'm a distance runner, but keeping a base would seem important and also maintaining speed.  I'm not sure how you would best go about the latter.  As a distance runner I did tempo's, fartlek's, and strides.

I hope someone more knowledgable about sprinting can reply.

Good Luck-

PS Don't listen to any advice from Termmy3.  Check out the thread in the Track forum titled "talent, work, or birth" or something to that effect.

• Born to Run060 Amateur 553 posts since
    Jul 1, 2002
    6. Jan 24, 2003 10:17 PM (in response to Guest )

Oh, and lifting would be critical.

• Kypie24 Pro 193 posts since
    Mar 23, 2001
    11. Jan 26, 2003 11:36 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by silverda:

I hope you're fast. This is not a signature you want to have unless you're a 4:00 miler . . . and then only if you don't mind people thinking you're an egomaniac.

You don't need to be a 4:00 miler to have that quote. Have some pride in yourself and you'll see how it IS fitting. There is a pride that one needs when running, and only with that pride, can one tap into all of himself. You can't run with just your body, nor can you with just your spirit.

Its hardly an idea of an egomaniac. Really, its just the idea of a runner that has his heart set in what he does. More power too it. Too few people have this mentality.

And to keep it related to the main thread somehow... trackchick, run with your heart during off-season and during the season. You won't go wrong.

----

With so many hopes, dreams, and goals, how can one stay focused?

profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• galaxy080 Rookie 31 posts since
    Jan 21, 2003
    12. Jan 27, 2003 1:02 AM (in response to Guest )

hey!

well its really easy to do! you have the right attitude!

since your not racing right now..its a great time to work on your aerobic capacity... a great session is doing something called a "Fartlek"....i think you probably know what that is?
    if not its a session which means "speed play"...basically you can do these on the road with some hills...start with a 4 min jog for a warm up..then go HARD for say 30secs..@ your max speed..then slow down to a jog for say 3min and do something similar again.. vary your distances which you go flat out...you should do about 2 of these a week say for 30-40 minutes.

you also want to work alot on core strength,,,if you have this well developed you'll find that your running style will improve alot. you should do a variety of exercises using swiss airball..medicine ball etc.. at least 3 times a week.

you should be working alot on speed during your track sessions and even do plyometrics. a good speed session for a 200/400 runner would be 4 lots of 300s at your ideal 400m race pace you want to be running in the coming season..so if your aiming for a time of 65secs..try doing your 300's in 49-50 secs..and have about 5min between each one so u can go 100%..remember its not so much quantity but quality..
    another speed session which would be good and also a endrance/lactic session which i do ..(but i am 800/1500 runner) is 30 by 100 with 30 secs in between..you just work your way around the track so u have bends and straights to work off...these should be at 80-85%.
    hope that helps !!

• Cully092 Legend 373 posts since
    Jul 4, 2002
    13. Jan 27, 2003 9:19 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by silverda:

I hope you're fast. This is not a signature you want to have unless you're a 4:00 miler . . . and then only if you don't mind people thinking you're an egomaniac.

Hey he could play soccer, and thats a quote he likes, it says uses his head (heading the ball)and feet (kicking the ball).

----

Cully[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...