Skip navigation

2767 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 4:26 PM by dutch omi RSS
Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
Jan 23, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2010 6:44 AM

This Saturday goes to eleven

A solo 21 in the fog, lit by distant lightning, then a goofy mix of sunrise colors courtesy of the clouds over the last 5-6 miles.  The dogs say it's time for more..........

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 13, 2010 5:25 AM (in response to Immer treu)
    Re: This Saturday goes to eleven

Nice run Immer.

I did 2 and 1/2 hours this morning, 17 miles.  It was another good long run, temps a little warner than expected but a light rain helped.  Week 11 is in the books.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 11, 2010 12:08 PM (in response to Immer treu)

"....that's one louder!"

Sixteen in the bag. It was a much better run than last week. I stopped and took a little stretch and a little walk every two miles, and it seems to have worked. I was expecting to meet my dad later on in the run, but we missed each other. As a result, I had less fluid than I would have liked. Those last four miles were really sticky-gummy-ookie in the mouth part, there. No fun. That always seems to be my biggest problem later on in long miles. Whether or not I'm actually "thirsty" my mouth gets very dry (thank you very much, radioactive iodine in large doses messing up my salivary glands for all eternity). I was about ready to start sucking on rocks to get a little spit going. Mmmmm, yummy!

So, I finished strong, felt pretty good despite, you know, the regular mind-altering pain of running 16 miles when you're not Jimmy, and lay down in the grass to stretch......and when I was done I thought I was going to need help getting up. Hmmmm. Anyone got a giant FireCat-sized shoehorn? Spatula, maybe?

Iced, showered, and more or less happy now. Also Advil'ed. Yay. Now, on to an enormous sandwich!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Maccon Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    3. Sep 11, 2010 2:01 PM (in response to Immer treu)

18 for me today.  Another first and I actually ran it 5 minutes faster than my 17 last week.  Maybe the changing of seasons actually does help.  This is coming from someone used to running in Guam.  Cool running is not quite my forte.  In fact that's another thing causing me anxiety over the MCM--will I be able to run in the cold?  Oh, and anything under 70 is cold.  Anyway, week 11 is in the bag and I'm happy.  A little sore, but happy nonetheless. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Sep 11, 2010 5:14 PM (in response to Maccon)

No long run for me today.  Just a 5K this morning and I'll probably do some more tomorrow.  The 5K was technically, I guess, a trail run.  The course runs mostly along a wide gravel trail.  I was still in a bit of a slump, didn't feel great (running wise) and didn't run all that well, though better than last year.  I've run this one several years in a row, and it's never my best race.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Sep 11, 2010 8:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I did 13 not so bad miles today. Not mileage to brag about, but the best 13 I've had for a long time.  My 13 milers have been miserable and my long ones have been good.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 13, 2010 6:19 AM (in response to Immer treu)

20 long miles in the books. Felt decent but not sure I'm in "marathon" shape as of yet. Those remaining 6.2 seem like a world away at this point.

Good week overrall with what I believe was something like 50+ miles

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• Robby-B Amateur 25 posts since
    May 29, 2009
    7. Sep 13, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

Hey all,

First 'bad' run since the training has started.  So I should be glad its the first I suppose.  Very sore during and after the run, thoughts of "I will never run 26.2" kept trying to work into my skull.  So I iced, stretched, iced, took kids to amusement park, iced, (noticing a trend?)  I know I should start with new shoes, old ones are on the older side.  Just wondering if I write this 'bad' run off as fluke, and hit it again, or take a small rest- day or two.  Any ideas?  'Just suck it up' is also a good thought I expect.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Sep 13, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to Immer treu)

I ran 18 miles 2 weeks ago and it left me feeling really beat up. So, instead of jumping up to 20 this week, I decided to repeat the 18. I felt great and the pace was good (for me). The weather was perfect. The company was perfect. Like Immer, I got to watch a beautiful sunrise. I logged both road and trail miles...a mix that makes me happy :-)  I'm happy to report that 2 days post-run and the body is pretty happy. I have a little tightness in my outer left ankle...I think it is an old injury (peroneal tendonitis) lodging a complaint. I might cross-train for another day or two just to give it some TLC and the time it needs. Good runs everyone!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Sep 13, 2010 8:05 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

Laughed when I read your post MarathonDream!  I was in the same place today...did my long run of 20 as well and it felt okay but also had the thought "I'm going to do 6.2 after THAT?"  Must be a common specter in training as we approach that delta between out longest long run and the race.  Hope you have a good easy day.

Grace and peace,

Mike Helvey

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    10. Sep 13, 2010 9:06 AM (in response to Robby-B)

Robby-B:  Just write it off as a bad run and keep moving ahead.  We all have several during the training schedule, I tend to have a couple in a row, then it changes, usually I never understand why.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    11. Sep 13, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Robby-B)

Robby-B - if you didn't have a yucky run now and then you wouldn't know how great the good ones are!  In fact, you might get bored and quit the whole business.  Those good runs are like priceless little gems that you know are there and you get totally hooked on finding another...and another...and another.  The bad ones keep us all honest. 

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    12. Sep 13, 2010 4:26 PM (in response to Becky8846)

As my daughter told me after my first 20 miler and the identical thought you had Robby, "Mom, if you can do 20, you can do 26.2."  I found she was right.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...