Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1057 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2010 2:36 PM by Rbrinkley74
Rbrinkley74 Amateur 32 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2010 12:31 PM

Left hip joint pain- Do injection shots help?

Hello, everyone.

I am new to this place. I am kind of new to running. I started last year, and been doing it since. On and off. A few 5k here and there.  I live in Arizona. It is hot out here, and I have 2 small kids, so sometimes my run are indoors. I try to get outside as much as possible.

A bit of background. - I am not a big person- I am petite. 5'1 and 105lbs. - I have lost 30lbs since I started running. I have been trying to pack on the lbs for running but cant seem to do it. (that would be from my migrane meds).  I work a very busy job. Running is my stress relief. I dont want to give it up. It is my addiction.

A bit ago I started having some pain in my hips. I got new shoes and insoles etc. I beleive it went away for a bit. I did some runs, bigger ones, was doing some more miles. Since it has been over 100 here, I have been on the TM more so I was doing about 8 miles on Saturday, and then 5 miles, 3-4 times a week on top of that.  (so average about 20 miles a week). I was hoping to do PF Changs 1/2 in January.

Anyway. I went out one night and triped and fell on my felt side, and I beleive I re-hurt that hip. Is that possible, and is this something that will go away? Should I see about an injection from the Doctor?  I have a 5k this weekend that I have registered for and have been looking forward to it all summer. However I am so sore.

Suggestions, please.

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 15, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to Rbrinkley74)
    Re: Left hip joint pain- Do injection shots help?

I think you need to see a doctor to make sure you are not really injured/didn't do any major damage to the hip.  Of course it's POSSIBLE it could go away, but not likely without rest, even if it's a minor injury.  And an injection is not a cure, it's a temporary fix.  It doesn't solve the underlying issue, just makes the pain go away for a bit.

I kept running through hip pain a couple years ago and it wound up being a stress fracture.  I'm not saying that's what it was, but if I'd been smarter and stopped running when I first started feeling sore and pain, the injury might not have progressed the way it did.  I had to take 6 weeks off running.  It was difficult and I cried a lot but you WILL survive it.  I had to keep asking myself "Do you want to run today or do you want to run the rest of your life?"  The answer is easy.  Sometimes you have to take time off and do what's right for your body to keep it in prime condition.

Go to the doctor and get a diagnosis.  Hip injuries are not something to mess around with.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points