Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3204 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2010 11:18 PM by elev8torguy RSS
elev8torguy Amateur 24 posts since
Jun 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2010 10:25 PM

Foot Pain (opposite arch)

As the title states; I tried to do some treadmill running after yesterday's gym workout and felt a sharp pain on the outside of my right foot. If you place your foot on the ground in the normal fashion, and you run your finger from your pinky toe to midfoot, you'll know where the pain was. That area at midfoot was piercing pain with every footfall. I stress that it wasn't the 'top' of my foot but with the foot resting on the ground it was the 'side' of my foot parallel to the ground. I don't seem to see anything related to this online, all I see is arch and ball of foot issues. Anyone know of this pain?

• chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    1. Sep 15, 2010 4:12 PM (in response to elev8torguy)
    Re: Foot Pain (opposite arch)

Last year I had a mild peroneal strain and it felt something like that, just not as sharp at first. I wondered if my shoe was just too tight, but then the feeling got bad enough to send me to a pediatrist for diagnosis.

The biggest help was using a towel to stretch it out before going to bed. First I'd sit with my legs straight ahead. Then I'd loop a towel around the ball of the foot, with the ends of the towel crossing over to form an X. When I pulled on the end of the towel on the same side as my foot, the bottom of my foot would turn inward like it was "clapping" the other foot. I'd hold the stretch for about 30 seconds at a time, usually with two or three repeats, until the discomfort went away. Just be careful not to overstretch it, especially if there is some risk if tearing something.

All told it was about 3 weeks from diagnosis to being symptom free. I did not need to stop running, though I lowered the intensity and volume a bit to avoid aggravating it further. Your mileage may vary, of course.

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    2. Sep 16, 2010 8:30 AM (in response to elev8torguy)
    Re: Foot Pain (opposite arch)

I've got a similar problem in the same location on my right foot, although it isn't to the level of "piercing pain" yet.  I first noticed it a day or two after my 5K race 11 days ago.  It wasn't very painful compared to the other muscle soreness I had after the race.  I put in a little over 30 miles jogging the following week, which is a bit more than my normal 20-30 weekly miles.  By the end of the week the area was rather sore to the touch and I was noticeably limping around the house, especially when barefoot.  I took 72 hours off of running.  The pain decreased slowly, but didn't disappear completely, before I put 5 miles on it yesterday and 4 more this morning.  It is sore again.  I was hoping to get in one more run before another 5K race this coming Sunday, but I'm probably going to have to rest my foot instead.  I'll give the towel stretch a try.  Any more advice on what the problem may be and how best to treat it is appreciated.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...