Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

281 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2003 10:38 PM by CoachB008 RSS
pritchett4 Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2003 3:53 PM

What is wrong?!?!?!

ok heres the story...last year was my first year doing track.  i finished the season with a 5:26 mile, and 12:26 for the 2 mile.  i didnt run much over the summer and ran a 18:10 in XC.  as soon as XC was over i started doing some serious training. im running 6 days a week, i lift ever other day, and im on an elliptcal trainer for about 5-6 miles a day.  recently i just ran at the simplot games, and ran slower than i did before i trained.  i was breathing at a moderate rate, not winded, i wasnt feeling the burning in my legs, but it seemed like i was running fast.  is there something wrong with me? or do i just need to start faster running?

• Cully092 Legend 373 posts since
    Jul 4, 2002
    1. Dec 20, 2007 11:11 PM (in response to pritchett4)
    Re: What is wrong?!?!?!

How many miles to you run a day, and a week and is it outside or on a dreadmill.

----

xcntry rules
    Fear u* You
    Fear im inside you

"why do cowards talk the loudest".

Cully[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Feb-17-2003).|http://This message has been edited by Cully (edited Feb-17-2003).]

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Feb 17, 2003 8:14 PM (in response to pritchett4)

I do 4-6 a day and a long run between 8-12....I am trying to get my 5K down in the low 19's. Coming off surgery last year and just getting my base back but feeling great.

Jul 4, 2002
    4. Feb 17, 2003 8:15 PM (in response to pritchett4)

what was your time for the race you just did?

----

xcntry rules
    Fear u* You
    Fear im inside you

Jul 4, 2002
    6. Feb 17, 2003 8:39 PM (in response to pritchett4)

so its a 4 sec difference, I wouldn't worry that much, just keep up your same routine and you should be fine.  Everybody has an off day, and I dont think I would worry too much.  When you run your next mile let us know what you got, to see if my theory is right.  Also if possible try and add another long distance day, and see if that helps at all. 

----

xcntry rules
    Fear u* You
    Fear im inside you

• CoachB008 Amateur 761 posts since
    Apr 27, 2000
    7. Feb 17, 2003 10:38 PM (in response to pritchett4)

Lets look at the possible reasons for your slower than expected race times:

1 Simplot is indoor, your post indicates that your old PR was outdoors. Indoor is much slower. That could be one thing.

2. Simplot is in Pocatello, which last time I checked is at elevation. Your profile doesn't mention if you are from sea level or up in the mountains. If you traveled up for this race, that is another factor slowing you down.

3. It is February. You should be worried about what you are running in May and June. Don't compare this time to where you were at the end of last season, compare it to where you were last february. Here is an example. In 1999 I had a girl run 3200 in 10:42 after working her butt off all year. This was good enough for 6th at the CA state meet. In 2000, she decided to turn the training up a notch, concentrate less on the 1600 and solely tune in to the 3200. Although she was much more fit as a senior, she did not run under 10:42 until Arcadia in April, where she went 10:40. Does that mean that the rest of her season was a failure? No, she was simply in the process of building to a higher peak. As a matter of fact, she didn't run faster than 10:40 until Golden West, in June where she ran 10:30.8 to finish 2nd. Then 2 weeks later, she scored a 3rd at 5000 in the USATF Junior championships, beating that years foot locker champion, Victoria Chang. The next night she took 5th in the 3000, finishing behind the likes of Lauren Fleshman of Stanford and other noteable NCAA freshmen.

The moral of this story is that the hard work that you have been doing will pay off down the road. If you coach is worth a hill of beans, he or she is planing this already. Have a discussion with him or her about it. Also, since it is so early in the season, it is doubtful that you have been running much speed work yet, which is crucial to a fast mile.

Your post indicates that the 5:30 you ran was pretty easy. It felt fast because you were indoors. Indoors always feels faster. Perhaps next time you should trust your conditioning and just let it hang out and see what happens.

Good luck to you.  It seems that you are well on your way to a good season.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...