Skip navigation

1781 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 3:17 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS
Active_Greg Amateur 21 posts since
Sep 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2010 10:43 AM

Instant replay expanded at Little League World Series

Make the right call?

What is technologies role in live baseball games? Fair or foul, catch or no catch...where is the line to be drawn?

Karl Ravech of ESPN covers some of the arbuments -

Baseball Tonight Clubhouse - ESPN http://es.pn/d2vEdc

Little League is taking a bold step forward to experiment during a showcase event. Could MLB and NCAA be taking notice?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

These are my personal beliefs on the subject of replay at the LLWS.

Before the series started I was against the idea because it woulld take too muchg time and undermine you officials. After I have watched the series my opinion hasn't changed. The procedure was as follows:The call is made, manager then comes out and questions the call. Then he asks for the umpires to get together, they then call all six umpires together to discuss a call that most times none but one had a look at. Then if they decide not to change the call then the manager decides whether to ask for a review. If he doesn't then you have wasted all that discussion time with guys that had no look to start with. If he does want a review then they go to the screen and wait for the answer. The theory is time is saved by them looking at the play while all the other procedures are being done. It still took between 45 seconds and close to three minutes. There were situations where the manager forced the gettogether for no purpose. There were calls that were reviewed that were no close and were just a waste of time. There calls that were reviewed that were so close that at full speed you couldn't tell even on review. Were there mistakes corrected,sure, but most were so close that it took multible angles at slow motion.

Another argument is that it will save losing a season on a bad call. First, one call doesn't change a whole game. There are calls that can have a huge impact but there is a whole game to consider not just one out, HR, strike call or ejection. I am an Orioles fan and clearly remember the kid leaning over the wall to interfere with pur outfielder so I certainly understand a bad call or bad time for a call but there was three hundred other pitches in that game that could easily made a difference.

In baseball players make mistakes, managers make mistakes and umpires make mistakes. Why is it the umpires are the ones costing games and seasons. They are simply one cog in the big machine.

The other problem that referenced in my opening statement was undermining the officials authority. You start reviewing dang near every type of play  and the official loses the respect of the participants thus making it impossible to do his job.

Michael S. Taylor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points