Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3426 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 4:51 PM by BetaReject RSS
BetaReject Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2010 7:51 PM

New to the scene. Where does one begin?

Hello!

As the title says am new to this marathon thing. I just signed up tonight after procrastinating for weeks about whether or not I could do it. Its been a dream of mine since I was a young teen to run one of these but after giving up competitive X-country in highschool I never imagined I'd ever find the courage to give it a go.

Its been years since I've ran much less done anything even close to this but as of recent I've been getting back into running and decided the time has come to realize my dream.

So on that note I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how to go about training for a marathon? How does one work their way up to a 20+ mile run and on that note how to incorperate doing 20+mile training into an already busy daily schedule? Also how do you set up a schedule for something like this? I mean is it like run every other day and do other sorts of training in between? How do you go about it?

What sort of other related training do you suggest? Is circuit training the way to go? Or would yoga be a better answer? What about weights??

Am a completely n00b so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

• ShelbyinMontana Pro 56 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1. Sep 18, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to BetaReject)
    Re: New to the scene. Where does one begin?

Wow! A 20 plus marathon is incredible! I can't really help with the training past C25K, but I've found that putting a day in between your run/walks are helpful. On my days off I either- go for at least a 20 minute bike ride, or condition(sit ups, push ups, planks, and a little weight lifting) Just enough so that I feel like I've at least accomplised something that day. Also I found out that when I take too many days off in between jogging it's more difficult, like my body has gotten used to resting and doesn't want to start right up. I'm sure you a little ways into the program by now since the post was from Sept 6th. How has it been going for you?

Shelby

"Through it all, each morning has patiently asked me, 'Why do you run today?' And over the course of the years, one simple answer has quietly become more clearly heard than all others: because I must."

-Dagny Scott

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 18, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to BetaReject)

http://marathontraining.com  has a training guide to get you there. Good Luck!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    4. Sep 18, 2010 4:03 PM (in response to BetaReject)

I'm confused.  What is it that you signed up for?  Do you mean you signed up for the CoolRunning forums, or do you mean you have a marathon event you are registered to run in coming up, or ....?

I wasn't running back then (rather, I was doing strength training, walking, and probably some aerobics or something like that), but I injured a knee fairly badly over ten years ago.  I would not have wanted to start running very seriously at that point.  I think exercise can be good rehabilitation, but I'm not so sure that for back and knee injuries, a marathon training program would be a first choice.  But then, I am new to running, too.

I'd be sure and okay it with your doctor or physio.  I know that many of these folks are not sports oriented, so you will probably want to consider their advice alongside how you actually feel and some advice from runners and other active people, probably here on the forums.  But I'd be careful of making an injury worse, depending on technique and workload.  Have you considered getting in some Pilates sessions?  Pilates was INVENTED as a therapy for injuries, including back injuries, and the core work it involves definitely can't hurt any runner, or would-be-runner!  I have done Pilates mat work and some equipment work, and I can enthusiastically recommend it to help with movement!

Some yoga poses can be great, some can be dangerous for your knees and back.  Work with a good instructor who will warn you how to modify poses like that.  Swimming can be good conditioning too, and I notice you can also do water exercises of other types, that probably can keep your muscles active without as much risk.  Bicycling always seems to be mentioned as an option, for cross-training, but again, whether it's good for bum knee and back situations, I'm not so sure.

A lot of the people I "know" here, have used a training program like Jeff Galloway's, or the Couch to 5K (C25K) training regimen, to get into running or get back into it, but these progams all seem to assume that you're healthy and injury-free to start with.  You have time, so if it's a question of pushing too hard and hurting yourself seriously, versus giving yourself time to heal and then resuming training, I don't know that I'd be too gung-ho.

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points