Skip navigation

26010 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2010 6:17 AM by RNCJr RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Chris A Hawkins Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Sep 13, 2010 10:10 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Civil War Century 2010 Reviews

This was my second year as well.  The weather was PERFECT.  Yes, this is a climbing event and last year it let me know... hills are hills and plum wore me out.  I enjoyed the bailout option at mile 65.  This year, I was better trained and ready to roll but after three tubes popping and a hole blowing out the rear tire, I limped back (made it one mile past) to the bailout and called it a day.  I am really hoping that next year.... third time will be a charm for the full 102 miles.  I have done a number of centuries and this one is lots of fun and best of all you get ice cream at the end and a cool shirt!!!!!

• Jwoodford Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 4, 2009
    61. Sep 13, 2010 10:37 AM (in response to Guest )

Incredibly well run event!!  Thank you to all the Volunteers. Weather was great can you please guarantee the same for next year?!?!?!  Thank you again and look forward to doing it again in 2011

• bencibike Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    62. Sep 13, 2010 11:54 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 5th CWC. An excellent event with perfect weather this year, great rest stops, and support. Love the Blue Grass and Ice Cream at the end!!

I would like to see earlier warnings for some of the road hazards and turns beyond writing on the road "Slow...Gravel."  If you cannot mark the road with paint farther ahead of the turns, some additional temporary signs on the roadside would do.  Unfortunately I still saw to many folks not cuing up when car back was called out.      

• DouglasMee Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    63. Sep 13, 2010 12:25 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second year, CWC full century. Volunteers were excellent, rest stops were well stocked roads are well marked, and will continue to do this event each year. I have one recommendation for next year. It would be nice if there are more food lines, think about expanding the food lines to a couple of tents.

Besides that I had a great time, see you next year.

• DSmith53 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    64. Sep 13, 2010 1:40 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 8th consecutive full CWC. It's the highlight of my cycling year, and I look forward to the challenge all season long. The support was great, as always. Thanks to the many dedicated volunteers.

I hope you don't get complaints about the cyclists taking up the entire lane on the steep climb at mile 70. A few miles earlier, the road repairs held up dozens of cars and bikes. When I was there, a few of us at the front encouraged the worker with the slow/stop sign to allow the cars to go first, even though we'd been waiting longer. Other groups may have, too. Presumably we got some good will from the drivers for that, but we still had a huge number of cyclists hitting the steep hill at the same time and filling the entire lane. Clogging was unavoidable.

• jarocks123 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    65. Sep 13, 2010 2:09 PM (in response to Guest )

My partner and I are new to cycling.  This was our first organized event of any kind, and it could not have gone better.  The organization of the the CWC was amazing.  The directions were flawless and the course lay-out and scenery was amazing.  The rest stops were packed with good food.  And this cyclist appreciated the abundance of wet wipes and hand sanitizer!  Plus the weather could not have been better.  We will sign up again next year. 

• msmjhu Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    66. Sep 13, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a beautiful day with great support, but I do like the old version of the 63 mile route better.  Rather deal with traffic then 3 big climbs like Sky Liberty at mile aprox 30.  The 3 big hills took it out of me.  Could not have asked for a better day though.  I prepared myself alll summer by practicing the old version in sections including Sky Liberty.

• msmjhu Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    67. Sep 13, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a beautiful day with great support, but I do like the old version of the 63 mile route better.  Rather deal with traffic then 3 big climbs like Sky Liberty at mile aprox 30.  The 3 big hills took it out of me.  Could not have asked for a better day though.  I prepared myself alll summer by practicing the old version in sections including Sky Liberty.

• lancastercircus Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    68. Sep 13, 2010 6:08 PM (in response to Guest )

This was our second year to participate in the Civil War Century.  Even though last year I only rode 25 while my husband rode the full 100, this year we chose to ride 50 miles together.  The hills were a challenge but made the finish all the more sweet.  We really enjoyed the tomato sandwiches and the fresh peaches but altogether the snacks at the rest stops were perfect.  Thank you to all the volunteers that made the event possible and we look forward to our ride next year.

• Sara P. Gray Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    69. Sep 14, 2010 8:11 AM (in response to Guest )

This is one of our favorite rides and as always it was fantastic. In additon to nature cooperating and supplying perfect weather, the support on this ride is impeccable. The route was great, albeit challenging. We look forward to the amazing tomato sandwiches and beautiful fresh produce and were not disappointed. It always tastes better during a ride! The support staff are gracious and friendly. Thank you for another great Civil War Century (metric). See you next year!

• Kimball R. Harris Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    70. Sep 14, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to Guest )

This year was GREAT! This was my second year and I enjoyed the ride throughout. I started at 7:00 AM and enjoyed all the rest stops for the Century distance.  The volunteers were great.  I did forget my sun screen, I had hoped you might have some at the first rest stop, but no luck.  Might be a potential improvement.  I really enjoyed meeting the other riders.  Only a light sun burn.

• Roubaix-Ronin Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    71. Sep 14, 2010 11:37 AM (in response to Guest )

Last year I did the metric; this year I did the full century ride.  It was challenging especially "pea gravel hill".  I don't remember the actual name of the road; just the gravel and the grade.

To repeat what an earlier poster said, can the CWC order up such specatular weather for next year's event again?

Thanks so much to all the BBC-CWC volunteers.  The tomato-mayonnaise sandwiches were a scrumptiously delicious change from pb&j.

Thanks to Dennis from Greencastle for helping me through the last 20+ miles.

Hope to do the ride and see you all next year!

• Herc60 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    72. Sep 14, 2010 3:01 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a great ride.  Could not have been better.  Loose gravel was treacherous in certain spots.  Looking forward to next year now that I know the location of the hills.

Volunteers were SUPER.

• RFINNIN Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    73. Sep 16, 2010 1:13 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a great ride - one of the prettiest I have done in a long time.  Came up from North Carolin to do the Century and was not disappointed!  Food, signs, back-up, support, weather, everything was just superb.  Only thing I would like to see improved if possible is the number of port-a-johns at the rest stop around mile 52.  Seemed like everyone showed up at the same time and created a little bottleneck.

Would love to do it again next year!

• RNCJr Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    74. Sep 19, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to Guest )

First timer as well for the CWC, and did the complete century with 5 friends.  My buds and I had pre-trained throughout the summer for some of the climbs (Catoctin; Ravens Rock/Ritchie Road) since where we live, harder grade/longish climbs don't exist so much.  This helped a ton.  Beyond this though, I thought that this was an exceptionally well-organized and well-marked event (didn't really need to consult the cue sheet but once or twice for reference).  Kudos to the volunteers and staff, and we're all glad of the primo weather -- perhaps the finest day for a ride in all of 2010.  For me at least, this exceeded all of my previous centuries in terms of difficulty, but that helped make it the most rewarding by ride's end.  You can't overlook all of he fantastic scenery as well -- the kind of backdrop you'd like to always see in any biking magazine.  Will be back, no doubt.

RNCJr

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...