Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4559 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 12:21 PM by cfields1111 1 2 3 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2010 12:23 PM

BBC 2010 Reviews

Share your experiences with the BBC 2010 below Back to event details page.

• rsauer Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 1, 2007
    1. Mar 16, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: BBC 2010 Reviews

In 2009, I braved the rain for 48 miles. Hoorah! The SAG stops were good, but the post-event party was the best - food quality and beer. I would say that, in the dozens of post-event parties I have partaken, this is the best in terms of food quality and beer. They had Bud Light Golden Wheat - which was not for sale 'til October. To be honest, I did not like that particular beer, but the draft Bud Light Lime, Ultra, Shock Top, and a few more made everyone happy.

• PedalinPapa Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 29, 2008
    2. Aug 15, 2010 2:13 PM (in response to Guest )

This will be the third year for me to ride.  Wonderful volunteers at all the sags.  The sags are well spaced, and the roads are in good shape.  A lot of nice rolling hills for the 64 mile option.  Nothing serious at all.  The marking on the roads are okay.  The past two years have been enjoyable, even in the rain last year.  Very easy ride to recommend!!

• bikingbrian25 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    3. Sep 19, 2010 12:20 PM (in response to Guest )

I have ridden the BBC 48 mile course a number of times with friends  and enjoyed this area. This is the first year I have ridden the BBC 65 mile course and was well marked. I could not believe I did no encounter one dog along the way; that is amazing to me. The ride was well organized; parking was easy and all the volunteers were very pleasent and helpful.

There was on incident at the last SAG stop I was at. A biker went down and was being attended to; was revived and the volunteers had an ambulance on the way in no time.

Cudos to the volunteers working the last SAG stop. You guys are tops.

The post ride meal was great and thanks also to the Busch corp. for allowing  us to use there facilities for this wonderful event. I plan on attending BBC 2011 and making the 100 miles next year.

Brian

Eat my road grit, Liver Lips!-Clark W. Griswall
  • peterabun Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 21, 2010
    4. Sep 19, 2010 12:40 PM (in response to Guest )

This was probably my favorite ride -- beautiful scenery, gently rolling hills, great sag stops and volunteers, traffic deprived roads(at least for the 66 mile course) and a party at the end. The only disappointment was at the beginning with a two mile back-up of cars to park. They need more lanes entering the parking area so that parking goes faster.

Kudos to those who put this on.

• Mama Son Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 14, 2009
    5. Sep 19, 2010 1:28 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my favorite ride of the year.  I rode it last year for the 1st time.  Beautiful country roads and very well organized. Love the rest stops, the community really comes out in support and provides wonderful refreshments. My only suggestion to the organizers is to offer coffee between 7am - 8am.  I'm glad there's a fundraiser for older people.  They always seem to get left behind when raising money for charity.  Thanks Busch Corp for letting us use your property!!!

• loricastillo Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    6. Sep 19, 2010 1:56 PM (in response to Guest )

I had a blast. I did the 66 miler. This was my first BBC and it will not be my last. Thanks to all the volunteers and Busch Corp. My best ride of the year. Food was great and so was the beer.

• WacoRider Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    7. Sep 19, 2010 2:08 PM (in response to Guest )

First timer.  Very well attended.  I did the century and I loved the route.  Very scenic.  Miles 60-90 are the most challenging...good climbs after you have been "softened up".  The sags were very accommodating.  Looking forward to BBC 2011!

• Giotto2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    8. Sep 19, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to Guest )

This BBC was my first; it was real, and it was spectacular...the 48 mile ride was a good balance of hills and flats, beautiful country, nice people all around, and a good cause to contribute something to while having a good time; food and drink were on-target; all very well organized, but, took us about 30 minutes to get into a parking space off of Busch Drive-  the only snag for us-  so we'll know to arrive earlier next year.

• BrianCReed Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 13, 2008
    9. Sep 19, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to Guest )

This is a great ride that gets bigger every year.  The 100-mile course could have used a little more ice and shade at the rest stops. It was unusually hot this year and getting cooler would have been great.

• Richard Bakare Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    10. Sep 19, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to Guest )

Well organized, fun, and beer at the end; what else could you want.

Simplicty is the ultimate form of sophistication - Da Vinci

• csheffi Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 28, 2010
    11. Sep 19, 2010 3:55 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first BBC and I plan on making this ride an annual event..Everything and was well organized and the volunteers were incredible....

I have only been riding a little over a year and typically ride the silver comet...Other than the Silver Comet Labor Day event, this was my first true organized road biking event and was a little concerned about the hills...I rode the 31 mile course with no problem and had enough left to complete the 48 miler but, wasn't able to due to a previous early afternoon engagement...Next year I plan to ride at least the 48 miler and most likely the 64...

Great Job to All...Thanks!!

• Jamie Adams Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 14, 2010
    12. Sep 19, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to Guest )

Beautiful route, very little traffic and the community law enforcement helping at crossing the busy roads was awesome-thanks to those officers! There were a few conflicting  paint markers (for the 100) on the street at some spots and as a result I got off track slightly but made it back onto the course. There were several very vicious dogs-one dog bit my back tire and I flatted a few miles past them fortunately. Great SAGS, great people and beer at the finish-the BEST recovery beverage...Can't wait till next year

• rlawrencejr Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    13. Sep 19, 2010 4:53 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time riding BBC. I thought BBC was very well organized. The only problem I saw was the route markings on the road were not always clear. The best example for me was the right turn at Kirk Rd for the 100 mile. There was an orange BBC 100 -> but it was way before Kirk Rd. I turned left at Kirk Rd because I was looking for yellow BBC markers like the rest of the ride was marked. Once I realized how close I was to the Bush plant I knew I went the wrong way. I was on the end of the 66 mile. This happened twice on the ride but the second time was my fault. The first time was after bad wreck . The Police, SAG, Fire and Ambulance vehicles where on the scene. The draft pack I was in could not tell which way to go so we went left. It took use 5 miles to realize we went the wrong way. I ended up going an extra 20-25 miles . Other cyclist that I talked to at rest stop 4 had the same problem . 

The rest stops were great on this ride. The food was cyclist friendly. This is the only ride I have been on where the Gatorade was mixed with more water so it went down easy. The last stop in Kingston, GA was my favorite . One of the volunteers there said the population of the town was 658. I always saw SAG vehicles on the route . If help was needed they were very responsive.  I did not stay for the meal or free beer. After 120  miles I was ready to get home.  Thanks to all the volunteers and sponsors who made this ride happen. I look forward to it next year. Hopefully with better markers or an excuse for me to finally get the Garmin edge I want.

To those I talked with on their first century, congratulations. To the cyclist who I heard broke his collar bone in a wreck, I wish you a speedy recovery and back on the bike soon.

• rkmama Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    14. Sep 19, 2010 5:40 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first century, but I have ridden the 45 and 31 miler many times before.  The volunteers were wonderful and SAG stops, food, port o pots etc were great!  The only suggestions I have are to get some ice for the water.  We had to drink warm water throughout the last 60 or so miles.  The last rest stop did have some ice which helped us cool down much faster. Please more bananas and oranges too.  Most of the stops past #4 were out of the fruit.  All the markings were great and we only got lost once when we saw a white 100 with an arrow.  We went a few miles out of our way before I looked at my map and figured it out.  Then some guy told us only use the orange markings.  We had no problems after that. 

This century is definitely not an easy ride.  The first 60 was a breeze, the last 40 there are lots of short but tough hills which you climb on tired legs.  It would be nice if they ran this course in reverse and let riders do the tough hills first.

This is by far one of my favorite places to ride. Rolling hills through horse farms, small towns etc.  Very low traffic and great organization and biker friendly people.  Thanks again for a great job!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...