Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2182105 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,015. Sep 20, 2010 7:41 PM (in response to TBird78)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

It's time to sign up for a 5k!  (Seriously!)

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Quilty Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    3,016. Sep 20, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

One thing you can start with is Hal Higdon's walking schedule for the 5K   http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kwalk.htm

You can work on this until you get permission to run.   I basically started with this for my first 5K on July 4.  I maintained  a walk schedule for my second 5K.  Now I am getting started on training to run a 5K.  I was so out of shape when I started.  Hurt a lot, got short of breath, but every time I do walk/jog, I feel so much better. 

I am a slow walker and after walking 2 5K's, it is time to get my speed up.  I finally did quit gaining weight and have actually lost the few I gained over the summer.  Just have to keep plugging away at it. 

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    3,017. Sep 20, 2010 8:48 PM (in response to Quilty)

Congrats to everyone and their accomplishments over the last week.  I'm still struggling to find time to participate in this forum the way I used to and it's just not happening for me .  I just completed my third straight 50+ hour week in a row, and this week is shaping up to be the same - and it's made worse by the fact that I know I can't work this weekend coming up because of my 5k, so I have to cram even more hours in.  However, tonight I feel it's important to spend some time with you guys instead of buried in work.

Completed all my runs last week, and exceeded the training plan distance every day.  I think I'm on target to be somewhere near a 45 minute pace for the race on Sunday, assuming that the thinner air at that altitude doesn't completely derail my plans.  I'll be using Runkeeper to track my time for the race as there are no timing chips and your time is based on when the starting gun goes off and when you finish.  I'm assuming that it will potentially take a few minutes to cross the line if there are a lot of people planning to run/walk.  I'd rather know my "real time" than rely on the official race time, so I'll set off my tracking device when I cross the starting line.  I'm looking forward to it - a lot!  Have my final two training runs this week and get to enjoy a weekend at beautiful Lake Tahoe to boot.

I spent a portion of this weekend in introspection - it started during my run Saturday morning, and came to some realizations that are very freeing.  Through a variety of conversations this last week, I got to thinking about the things that other people put on us throughout our lives - I think many of these are people putting their own insecurities/issues off on us.  For example, I heard at various times throughout my teenage years things like "I don't understand how you can be so fat and still have a waist".  I took from that the idea that I was fat (at 5'7, 159 lbs and a size 12 - which is totally NOT fat considering how stocky I am) without realizing that the person saying that to me (my mother), was really upset about weight she had gained that she was unable to take off, and being unhappy about the fact that while she weighed less than me, her fat went on around her middle and she no longer had a defined waist.  Long story short, because it came from a person I cared about, I felt like I had to "own" that for some reason, and in my own mind, I became "fat".  For years, I have owned being "fat" (among many other things).  My realizations this weeked are around the fact that I don't have to own other people's perceptions or expectations of me - only need to own the ones that actually belong to me.  I don't need to feel like I'm "fat" if I don't look like someone else; I don't need to believe someone who thinks I am "too fat to run"; I don't need to buy in to the idea that because I am sick, I have to limit myself to what other people think I can do.

So, here's what I am choosing to own right now:  I own that I am a strong, beautiful woman who can do anything that I choose.  I own that my life is what I make of it, not what other people think it should be.  I own the hand I've been dealt with my health and I decide what I can and can't do with that.  I own that I am responsible for becoming as healthy as I feel I should be and that my weight matters less to me than being fit.  I own that my body is unique and isn't going to be like anyone else's in terms of shape, weight, fitness, or anything else and that's ok.  There's a lot of other things out there, but I think you all probably get the point.

Time to think about heading to bed so I can hit the path in the park at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  Happy running!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• aesops Rookie 13 posts since
    Mar 13, 2007
    3,018. Sep 20, 2010 9:21 PM (in response to Wideguy)

wow i havent been around in a while, great to see the conversation continues. nice thread too.  I'm starting running again after a two year break..  Yeah, two years!  In that time however I did swim, even did an open water swim which I highly recommend.  But, I am way out of shape now and really miss running.  Why did I stop!?  I now have to start over from the beginning.  3 years ago I peeled myself up off the couch and began my c25k, and it worked big time.  I actually became a runner for about a year.  Then I took a week off, it became 2... I got married, work was nuts...  and on and on.  So I basically totally quit.  Now I'm back up to way out of shape... but you know what, I'm psyched.  Just finished my first week of running.  3 days this week.  Will do 4 days the next.  Then 5.  I do 30 minutes in central park.  I do a loose program of c25k, Anyway, the feelings of loving running are all coming back. So then... glad to see you all.

• goldengirlsweety Rookie 37 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    3,019. Sep 20, 2010 9:44 PM (in response to aesops)

Hey everyone!!! I made it thru w1d1 without passing out and I do feel good about it. I was alittle tired but hey I can live with that until I get this weight off and in shape. Good Luck to everyone and thanks for all the encouragement. I will be doing w1d2 on Wed. so hang in there everybody and I will be back with anothe update.Debbie

• moonieQ Pro 90 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    3,020. Sep 21, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to Trishinator)

Trishinator wrote:

I spent a portion of this weekend in introspection - it started during my run Saturday morning, and came to some realizations that are very freeing.  Through a variety of conversations this last week, I got to thinking about the things that other people put on us throughout our lives - I think many of these are people putting their own insecurities/issues off on us.  For example, I heard at various times throughout my teenage years things like "I don't understand how you can be so fat and still have a waist".  I took from that the idea that I was fat (at 5'7, 159 lbs and a size 12 - which is totally NOT fat considering how stocky I am) without realizing that the person saying that to me (my mother), was really upset about weight she had gained that she was unable to take off, and being unhappy about the fact that while she weighed less than me, her fat went on around her middle and she no longer had a defined waist.  Long story short, because it came from a person I cared about, I felt like I had to "own" that for some reason, and in my own mind, I became "fat".  For years, I have owned being "fat" (among many other things).  My realizations this weeked are around the fact that I don't have to own other people's perceptions or expectations of me - only need to own the ones that actually belong to me.  I don't need to feel like I'm "fat" if I don't look like someone else; I don't need to believe someone who thinks I am "too fat to run"; I don't need to buy in to the idea that because I am sick, I have to limit myself to what other people think I can do.

So, here's what I am choosing to own right now:  I own that I am a strong, beautiful woman who can do anything that I choose.  I own that my life is what I make of it, not what other people think it should be.  I own the hand I've been dealt with my health and I decide what I can and can't do with that.  I own that I am responsible for becoming as healthy as I feel I should be and that my weight matters less to me than being fit.  I own that my body is unique and isn't going to be like anyone else's in terms of shape, weight, fitness, or anything else and that's ok.  There's a lot of other things out there, but I think you all probably get the point.

Oh Trish, I hve been working on this same kind of thing.  Looking back to when I was younger, I was bigger, true, (5'6", 185 pounds) BUT I was an athlete.  I was bench pressing 130 pounds squatting over 200 at 15 years old, more than any other girl on my track team.  I was not fat, I was a weightlifter for crying out loud.  But I had been conditioned to think that I was fat even younger than that.  I remember going on my first diet when I was 9 because my mom was starting one and she wanted a buddy.  And that's when it all started.  The self-doubt, the body loathing, the "you can't do that".  I wanted to be a cheer leader in High School but I wasn't even able to try out because according to my mom "they don't want girls like you."  "girls like what?" "They won't want you because they won't have uniforms to fit you."  Um, what?!  We didn't  look into it, we didn't ask questions, I just wasn't allowed to even think about it because when she was in high school, you had to be skinny to cheer.  The next year, one of the cheerleaders was bigger than me...Awesome...

When I started this program, I was doing the same kind of thinking.  I can't run because I'm fat.  Fat people don't do this.  But I've been working for years to let go of that thinking.  I know that I am healthy--my doctor was surprised that all my tests cam back normal: BP, Cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid, everything.  I'm a healthy fat girl.  So one day when I was running, I thought "look at what I'm doing.  I am running and my knees don't hurt.  Maybe I'm supposed to be doing this.  It feels good, so why am I holding myself back?"  I decided right then to stop limiting myself because of how other people might perceive me.  I think that, in a way, thinking like that is keeping me from losing weight too.  Using it as an excuse, you know?  If I stop using my weight as an excuse, the weight will come off--I am relseasing it, allowing myself to let it go...  There's a part of me that is afraid.  Afraid that I will not be "me" if I'm regular sized, since I've identified myself for 25 years as a big girl.  But I know that I am healthy, strong, more active than most of my friends.  I know that I am happy and feel awesome.  I will be the same person.  This is exactly why I want to start my activity group--a group to empower overweight women through activity.  Doing things that we think we can't do because we are overweight--like running, hiking, rock wall climbing, dance classes, etc etc. -- because that's what this plan has done for me.  It has empowered me.  Last night, I decided which half-marathon I'm going to train for.  A FRIKKIN HALF MARATHON!!!!!!!  HOLY COW!!!!

We are doing the best we can for ourselves.  You are doing great.  Things can get in the way, but you're still doing it.  And that's important.  You are amazing! *hugs*

Blessed are the geeks for we shall inherit the Earth.

Good run or bad run?  The only run that matters is the one I actually do!  Keep going!

Progress:

Started C25K: March 26, 2010 ~~ 270 pounds

Completed C25K: Sept 4, 2010 ~~ 241 pounds

Sept 19, 2010--Race for the Cure 5K: 39:45 (238 pounds)

Nov 25, 2010--Oregon Zoo 4 mile Turkey Trot

March 14, 2011 - Shamrock Run 8K

July 4, 2011 - Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon

• slawdawg13 Amateur 39 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    3,021. Sep 21, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to BigBonedLawyer)

BBL - you're a week ahead of me now thanks to my week off rehabbing the knee. All is better now and I completed W5D2 this morning. Thursday is the big one! I'm having some negative thoughts about not being able to make the full 20 minutes, but I'll just do the best I can and hope I can make it through. I remember having the same thoughts about running for 3 minutes, too, so I'm probably just psyching myself out.

When I finish the C25K, my next goal is to work up to a 10K. If I can, I'd like to run the Peachtree in 2011. I'm not real concerned about time as I'm not interested in racing anyone including myself. At this point, I just want to finish and prove I can do it. After the Peachtree, the next goal is the Donald half-marathon at Disney in January 2012. ho knows where I'll go from there, but I hope to continue to improve and maybe even get to the Goofy some day.  

• lcunningham8332 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    3,022. Sep 21, 2010 6:35 AM (in response to Quilty)

Thank you for that link!!! I loved what I saw, and I copied the 10K one also... Tomorrow I have a Drs appt, so if I get clearance, and can get rid of this nagging tendonitis in my left foot, I am going to start it along with my hubby! Can't wait!!! Thanks so much!

• Travis Colby Pro 193 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    3,023. Sep 21, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to aesops)

aesops wrote:

wow i havent been around in a while, great to see the conversation continues. nice thread too.  I'm starting running again after a two year break..  Yeah, two years!  In that time however I did swim, even did an open water swim which I highly recommend.  But, I am way out of shape now and really miss running.  Why did I stop!?  I now have to start over from the beginning.  3 years ago I peeled myself up off the couch and began my c25k, and it worked big time.  I actually became a runner for about a year.  Then I took a week off, it became 2... I got married, work was nuts...  and on and on.  So I basically totally quit.  Now I'm back up to way out of shape... but you know what, I'm psyched.  Just finished my first week of running.  3 days this week.  Will do 4 days the next.  Then 5.  I do 30 minutes in central park.  I do a loose program of c25k, Anyway, the feelings of loving running are all coming back. So then... glad to see you all.

aesops -

Thank you so much for your post today!  I have been stuck on a frustrating plateau for the past three weeks and it is hard to continue getting in shape sometimes when that happens.  I woke up this morning without any motivation to eat right or work out today.  But, I read your post and it reminded me of all the times in the past I did the exact same thing you did.  I took time off which turned into totally quitting.  Seeing you enthusiasm and hearing your story is powerful stuff.  So, I am going out the door today motivated to keep at it.  Thanks!

11 month.jpg

-Travis C.

http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com

From 325 pounds to a marathoner in less than a year

First Marathon: 12/5/10 - 4:35:34

5K PR - 22:28

10K PR - 48:35

Half Marathon PR - 1:52:18

Marathon PR - 4:32:05

Next Race - Seattle Marathon, 6/25/11

Upcoming races:

11 Rock and Roll Marathon events in 2011

Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2012

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    3,024. Sep 21, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to slawdawg13)

Shoot, I had doubts about being able to run 1 minute on Week 1.  Day 1 I was too tired to run all of the last one and now I tack on running.  I think that's what's gotten me through the longer runs.  That and slowing down my pace for the 20.  I had to remind myself I'm not the 160 lbs soccer player I was in high school and that I shouldn't try to run the 6-7 mintue miles I ran back then.  I'm cool with 10-11 minutes for now.  I'll spend more time worrying about speed and distance when I get back under 200.

I'm contemplating a different running route tomorrow.  First mile is mostly up hill then downhill for about half a mile then it's mostly flat.

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

• TBird78 Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3,025. Sep 21, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm not sure I'm ready but there is one around Halloween that I thought about signing up for. I going to try again to get back with the program tonight instead of jogging all the way thru. I don't want an injury or anything but we'll see depending on how I feel.

***** changed screen name from BigGirlRunningTX to TBird78*****

C25K - began 9/13/2010

* W1D1: 9/13/2010

* W2D2: 9/20/2010

American Heart Association HeartWalk (HOU) : 11/6/2010

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    3,026. Sep 21, 2010 7:30 AM (in response to WIguy)

@WIguy : Thanks a lot for sharing! LOL, I can remember very well gasping for air after 30 seconds of running on the treadmill.. I was puzzled and doubtful at the thought of how I could possibly run a 5k! It makes sense in the effort going up as you lose weight and continue to push your time goal rather than just kind of coasting along at a slower pace that you'd find to be easy now.. Wow, nice goal of a 5k in the 22's! It's hard for me to imagine running 5k even at a consistent 8 minute mile, let alone in the 7 minute mile range. I've pushed a 9:50/mm for 2.5 miles and think with good rest I could probably handle that pace for a 5k..for me the quads and calves start to burn pretty bad and my breathing is really labored. I'm 255lbs right now, so I've still got plenty to lose (and hopefully benefit on the pace as a byproduct). What kind of plans do you have in store through winter, hitting the treadmill or? Hey, I'm happy to share thoughts and lessons learned along the way..I really appreciate that about others as well and I really dig this group, I've learned a heck of a lot from so many people sharing experiences and the camraderie is awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress!

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    3,027. Sep 21, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to moonieQ)

@trish and @moonie:

WOW, what a potent discussion indeed! Good for you both in having those insights and deciding to make the change in how you view yourself and becoming more fit!! I can relate to this in many ways (not the cheerleading part ) being overweight for as long as I can remember.. They invented kids clothing size "husky" for me I think! I took a lot, far more than I'd care to relive, of harassment over the years from kids at school and even family. Lighthearted as my family thought they were being, only compounded to the insecurities brought on by my peers. At an early age I discovered that my sense of humor could somehow make me feel more at ease with my peers and in social situations where I felt insecure or out of place. I'm approaching my 31st birthday in October and can't remember a time when I've felt as good as I do now. Last week I was reflecting a little bit about weightloss and self image with a friend.. Sometimes when I look in the mirror I still see the "old me" 70 pounds heavier, except proportionally smaller, if that makes any sense at all. It's becoming more often that "know" I'm smaller in size and making excellent progress on weight loss, but it can take looking at a picture of myself in January compared to now to really "feel" like I'm making progress. I certainly don't expect decades of insecurity and low self esteem to vanish, but I was hoping it might go away with the weight.. it's something that I wonder at what point will I finally really let go of that. *shrug* Just like running though, keep moving forward with one foot in front of the other and be patient is my plan. Thank you for sharing, you're both very inspiring!!

@moonie: Which half marathon are you going for? Holy cow is right, that's really awesome!!

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3,028. Sep 21, 2010 8:11 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I did W4D2 today. I'm happy to hear people say "Are you losing weight?" Since startig this program I really do watch what I eat and I'm enjoying being outside more. so if I'm not doing C25k then I'm walking 4 miles or shredding. either way I'm off the couch and doing something active.

• Mumtoapug Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    3,029. Sep 21, 2010 9:33 AM (in response to TBird78)

HELLO!  Newbie here!  I have been lurking for a little while, but thought I would get around to introducing myself. My name is Ashley.  I am a Navy wife in Brunswick, Maine.  In my former life, I was never an athlete, but I was thin and didn't have any problems doing the things I loved.  Over time, I got up to 260 lbs and really wasn't leading a life worth living.  I couldn't walk the amusement parks, ride the rides, go walk the shoreline of the beach for any length of time.  Since this time last year, I have lost 40 lbs by eating better and moving more, nothing really structured.  For the past month or so I have been walking outdoors and walking on the treadmill for about an hour at a time.  On Monday, I am going to start C25K W1D1. I have never been a runner, but it's something that I want to achieve and I know I can do it.   I want this next year to be even more productive than the last! WIsh me luck! 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...