Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

122026 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt Go to original post 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 Previous Next
  • SHH4E Expert 58 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    435. Sep 19, 2010 5:40 PM (in response to Packratt)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

HEY PACKRATT, CHECK OUT JEFF GALLOWAY (ONLINE, FREE INFO) RUNNING METHOD. I STARTED DOING IT (INTERVAL RUNNING, WITH WALK BREAKS) WHEN I WAS UNPREPARED AND INJURED WITH STRESS FRACTURES! I RAN MY HALF MARATHON (FIRST ONE SO FAR) BY RUNNING 2 MINUTES AND THEN WALKING 2 MINUTES.(DIFFERENT RUN/WALK RATIOS CAN BE USED)   MY SECOND HALF OF THE MARATHON WAS FASTER THAN THE FIRST AND I WAS PASSING PEOPLE WHO WERE RUNNING CONTINUOUSLY! ITS AMAZING HOW THE WALK BREAKS GIVE YOUR LEGS A REST BY USING DIFF. MUSCLES. I FINISHED IN 2 HOURS 38 MIN. NOT BAD FOR FIRST ONE, INJURED AND TAKING WALK BREAKS. BUT I WAS ABLE TO COMPLETE THE 13.1 MILES,  IF I HAD TRIED TO RUN STRAIGHT, WITHOUT ENOUGH TRAINING I'M NOT SO SURE! GOOD LUCK! THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I WILL RUN NOW AND HOW I WILL DO MY FIRST FULL MARATHON IN JAN. AND RUN IN ALL MY TRIATHLONS.

Bills Beer Run,  Nokomis Beach FL  10/31/10   5miles    50:23

Sharks Siesta Key Triathlon, Sarasota FL  10/3/10  (0.5m swim,13m bike, 5K)  1:48:51

Tropical Splash H2Open, Siesta Key, Sarasota FL    1K open water swim 10/2/10   29:28

Venice FL Triathlon  9/4/10   (0.25mile swim,8mile bike, 5k)  1:25:09                

Mack Cycle Triathlon 8/15/10   (0.25 mile swim,10mile bike, 5k), Miami FL  1:29:59   

Inaugural Shark Tooth 10k,  4/10/10Venice FL   1:08:17

Sarasota FL Half Marathon   March 14 2010    2:38:16

Oscar Sherer 5k, Osprey FL  2/20/10    33:39

Ringling Bridge Run, Sarasota FL  1/23/10   4miles   44:49  (First Race Ever!)

• Ms_Athena Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 16, 2010

Hello!

About 6 years ago I trained for and did my first triathlon as a slow fat triathlete!  I walked the run section, almost drowned the swim and blasted through on the bike..  I didn't come in last surprisingly!

Then didn't do much since..  Supported my then husband in his triathlon endevours though..  Now he is gone and I am going to work on improving my self!  I am doing the Couch to 5k and started today!!!  I am hoping to ride my bike outside or on the trainer on off days or at least once a week.  I have access to a lake but no pool and with fall having started here, well, I am not going to worry about swimming just yet.   I want to be able to run instead walk so that will be my primary goal through the winter.

Having been around tri's for so many years I will offer up any advice to anyone...  My ex, has built up to Olympic distance.  I use a wet suit to swim in,,,  it really does help to keep you closer to the surface of the water and help you to glide through the water better.  adds some flotation.  I hate to swim and am lousy at it,,  the dog paddle seems to be a favorite style.  ha ha...  I have been to five danskins and was signed up for two years in a row.  First time ended up having a hysterectomy the month before it and the second time I didn't have MD approval due to a mitral valve. (didnt have enough time to train in a different way for the swim, knew I could do the bike and walk the last portion but the swim would have been a problem).  

So I am starting again after allowing myself to gain back weight plus some and get totally out of shape.  So,,  I will be here,,  slowly but surely!!

Donna

• Keurigirl Amateur 10 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    437. Sep 20, 2010 10:10 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Well as of this past weekend, I'm a triathlete!

My finish time was 2:22, so for my first race, I'm pretty pleased with myself! I'm currently clocking in at 240#, so I can't wait to see how much faster I get once I get to my goal weight. I lost TWELVE minutes in transition though... clearly that needs to improve. My only big obstacles were that I was SUPER dizzy coming up out of the swim, it took me a while to regain my equilibrium. I'm lucky I didn't fall. I am not sure why that was so bad. On the bike my feet got really, really cold (it was an awful rainy day) and then my toes went numb. They didn't start to feel better until halfway through the run. But other then that, it went well and I am very pleased with myself.

Sep 16, 2010
    438. Sep 20, 2010 7:22 PM (in response to Keurigirl)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!   GOOD FOR YOU!!!

• Packratt Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    439. Sep 20, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to Packratt)

Well, I checked with my doctor and he said it would be ok for me to take my blood pressure medication later in the day after my pressure stabilizes, as long as I check it regularly.  Yay!  Here's to hoping no more dizzy spells.

Also, I forgot to put any pics in my report, so I am including them here...

run 2.JPG

Getting ready for my run

Run 1.JPG

Here I go...

Run 3.JPG

I finished... I survived!

Will Run 4 Food Fun Run (first run) - 1k-(19:46)  5Jun2010 472# | Tulsa Zoo Run 5k (first 5k - 1:34:38) -  2Oct2010 450# | John 3:16 Mission 5k (1:32:15) PR - 23 October 2010 448# | Run Into The New Year 5k (1:11:57) PR - 31 December 2010 427#

UHC 2011 Indoor Triathlon - 13Feb2011 10 Min S - 291 meters, 30 Min B - 4.57 miles, 20 Min R - 0.96 miles. 

- Total points accumulated was 113.2. Placed 3rd in Age Group: 40-49. 426#.

Chili Day Indoor Triathlon - Mar 2011 S 300 yds(10:38 including T1), B 8 mi(22:02), R 2 mi(44:55) (Total Time 1:17:35) 426#

St. Paddy's Day 5k 12 March 2011 (1:14:31) 425# | Race Against Racism 5k  30April

Jun 11, 2010
    440. Sep 20, 2010 7:59 PM (in response to Packratt)

I want to thank everyone for all the good words!  They really do mean a lot!

Will Run 4 Food Fun Run (first run) - 1k-(19:46)  5Jun2010 472# | Tulsa Zoo Run 5k (first 5k - 1:34:38) -  2Oct2010 450# | John 3:16 Mission 5k (1:32:15) PR - 23 October 2010 448# | Run Into The New Year 5k (1:11:57) PR - 31 December 2010 427#

UHC 2011 Indoor Triathlon - 13Feb2011 10 Min S - 291 meters, 30 Min B - 4.57 miles, 20 Min R - 0.96 miles. 

Chili Day Indoor Triathlon - Mar 2011 S 300 yds(10:38 including T1), B 8 mi(22:02), R 2 mi(44:55) (Total Time 1:17:35) 426#

St. Paddy's Day 5k 12 March 2011 (1:14:31) 425# | Race Against Racism 5k  30April

• MCook1 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 18, 2010
    441. Sep 20, 2010 8:18 PM (in response to Packratt)

Congratulations on a job well done! how have you been feeling after the race?

Sep 16, 2010
    442. Sep 20, 2010 8:20 PM (in response to Packratt)

Way to GO!!!   You had great weather for it!

Jun 11, 2010
    443. Sep 20, 2010 8:23 PM (in response to MCook1)

Thanks!!!  I was pretty tired and slept quite a while after the race, but other than that and being a little dehydrated, I've felt remarkably good.  The biggest problem is feeling like I need to work even harder than ever to make my next race in 12 days...  But that is more mental.  Physically, I am feeling pretty good.

• NEMomof2 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2010
    444. Sep 21, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to SHH4E)

Hi--just wanted to say thanks for this thread.  I am a lurker by nature but am jumping into the fray.  I discovered your thread about three weeks ago and have been reading lots of it in prep for my first sprint distance tri last Saturday.  It helped me a lot.  I am 40, about 25lbs overweight, and not built like a runner (meaning--I have *****).  I did the Couch to 5 K running program.  What a lifesaver!!  I was a competitive swimmer in jr. and high school so didn't sweat it much.  I did, however, underestimate the biking--BIG TIME!

First--my success.  I finished my tri in 1hr 42 minutes which was 3 minutes faster than my hoped for best time (including my super long post swim transition where I changed into all new clothing--not mentally prepared to swim in a jogging bra yet).  I swam in 9 minutes 30 which I was thrilled with.  I was able to run the whole way and it didn't feel crazy long (which I feared).  I felt totally jazzed about that.  In my tri, however, the bike leg was last and it was in a local park on their circular drive.  Basically we did 10 laps around the park 11 times and I had to hit the same hill over and over and over.  I did, however, finish and got a medal from my kids .  I was also happy to report that many of you were right on about the "professional" tri folks--they were the most supportive people there.  It was nice to get a "good job" from the guy on the $5000 bike whizzing past me.  So, I wasn't last and I felt pretty good after.  Ok, I felt great. I still do.  Walking around with those numbers written on my body for the rest of the day gave me a real high!  So, I may be hooked.  I'll be doing an indoor tri in November.

All that said, I realize I need help with the cycling.  I have a Raleigh comfort hybrid type bike.  I like it a lot and can't afford to splurge on a new one.  A friend suggested I purchase MTB shoes and clipless pedals and trade my tires out for road ones.  I'm thinking about it.  I also plan to start spinning twice a week now in prep.  I could really use some advice on this one.  Did any of you make the switch to bike shoes and pedals and feel it was worth it?  What about bike shorts?  I hate the pain from too much riding and was wondering if it would help.  My friend (a guy) doesn't think it will but--he's a guy.  What about spinning?  Since my next tri is indoor it should be appropriate--but should I not rely on it too much if I do another outdoor tri?

Thanks for being such an inspiration.  You guys are all so awesome.

• Keurigirl Amateur 10 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    445. Sep 21, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to NEMomof2)

Hi NEMomof2 - Congrats on your tri! 1/2 mile swim in 9 minutes is awesome!

I'm not a pro or anything but I will tell you what I do. I ride a mountain bike, but with road tires. I also have bike shoes and clipless pedals. I would not want to ride any other way! You do get a huge power advantage with clipless pedals, they say. Also, are you riding without bike shorts? Wow. I definitely need the padding in the shorts for my pansy rear-end.

I loved the spinning class and that is what I did to prepare for the bike. The weather here in WA has been awful this year, so that was my only option at times. It works the same muscles, so I think it would be just great training.

• RJinWY Amateur 23 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    446. Sep 21, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

NEMomof2, I bought a gel seat cover.  I don't like running with any padding down there but needed something for the delicates!  If you google "bike seat cover," you'll see what I'm talking about.  Since it goes over your  bike seat, you might have to adjust the seat a little.  I didn't see any others at the tri but didn't care.  I like the bike shoes/pedals but they do take some getting used to.  Congrats on your first tri!

PackRat -- keep going!  I struggle with the mental part too.

Jun 11, 2010
    447. Sep 21, 2010 2:35 PM (in response to NEMomof2)

NEMomof2, That is awesome work on your tri!  Congratulations, triathlete!  As to suggestions on your bike, I think the tires are a good idea.  The shoes and clipless pedals are more of a personal thing.  Myself, I can't stand the idea of not being able to walk right if something happens and the fact that it adds time to transition to have to change shoes... again.  But some folks will swear by them.  My suggestion is to go to a good quality bike store and talk with the folks there.  They may have some suggestions for you.  Also, I know a lot of people who swear by those gel-seat covers.  If you are having pain from sitting on the seat for so long, by all means give something like that a try, or even consider replacing your whole seat.  Biking shorts may well help with your overall biking.  For one thing, they offer some compression for your legs, which will help your muscles.  But also, some of them have their very own gel pads in the seat area.  If these are fitted right, they may also offer you some additional comfort on long rides.  Again, this is more of a personal thing as they may affect either your run or your transition time.  Spinning is good for indoor and outdoor.  In my case, I always have to add constant resistance to my spinning, as it actually hurts my knees to spin without any resistance.  And when spinning, you are constantly pedalling, something that not everybody does (I know I coast a lot once I reach the speed I want when I am outside).  I know this translates to being better when I am on a road bike.  I wish you luck and totally think you should pull the trigger on the indoor tri in November!

Sep 16, 2010
    448. Sep 21, 2010 11:22 PM (in response to NEMomof2)

Congratulations.   It is exciting!   I am glad that I am working at doing them again!  I got clipless pedals and mountain biking shoes..  I will NEVER go back to regular pedals..  and if you get the shoes then most spinning classes will have the pedals there so that you can use them there to practice hooking in and unhooking.  It does make a huge difference but you have to practice with them..  When I first got mine I would forget that I had to twist my heel out to unhook at stops.  Bike would stop and I would be pulling on my fooot and would just fall over..  and I was always so worried about hurting my bike that I would roll over onto my back with the bike in the air..  Of course this ALWAYS happened on the bike trail next to the freeway with lots of other bikers around.  But luckily I was always laughing so hard that it didnt bother me that others were.  Spinning will give you a chance to practice with the shoes.  and you can get some for a decent price..  The mountain bike shoes dont slide on pavement or walk weird like road shoes do... and if you pick some with velcro straps then they are fast to put on in transition.   They have tread but you need to go to the store to get them or go to try them on to get your size.. they are all sized european..  Triathlon clothing is excellant..  You wear it the whole race and it dries very quickly.  Though the padding in the shorts is pretty thin..  I have a gel cover like you do and a seat with the cut out and a racing seat.   I like the cut out one with the gel end the best.  but I had to experiment..  AND with the clothing...  THe triathlon sports bras help control the bounce..  I look at ebay alot for the clothing..  The companies change out every year and you can pick up clothing for a good price.  also the danskin website has a link for triathlon...  their items come in athena sizes and they are excellant quality..  they have a clearance section too..  the clothes make a HUGE difference.  I love bike shorts now even with my size.  the bike store that I go to locally, the womans sizes run small and don't fit so I get mens...  I get em at performance bike dot com..  the century gel shorts are great and they are on sale for 40 right now.

The clothes and shoes cut down on transition times,, My ex husband teased me because I took the time to put on socks.. It added on a minute cause the feet are wet...  oh and Yankz laces are wonderful for running shoes!  easy on and off but if your feel swell then they stretch...  I put them in ALL my tennys  even my work ones..  trisports dot com is a good place to look at items and then shop around elsewhere for good prices...

I have a ton of tri stuff. LOL all in different sizes....  just am not fitting in it all right now.  I will be glad when I can get in the sports bras again.  after wearing those you dont want to go back to the other types of sports bra..  Moving Comfort sports bras are really good but kinda spendy..

Hopefully I havent sounded preachy... 

• NEMomof2 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2010
    449. Sep 22, 2010 12:13 PM (in response to Ms_Athena)

Thanks for the excellent advice.  I think I'm going to try the new shoes and pedals.  I did my first spinning class today--yikes!!  I realize just what a recreational biker I was.  No wonder the bike portion of the tri was such a challenge.  I am definitely going to get some bike shorts and see how they feel.  Will also try to adapt the bike I have to the best of my ability (and bank account) before another outdoor race.

I was also wondering about tri suits.  If I keep this up I think I'll want to get one--seems like a perfect option for someone who has to wear a jogging bra.  I would prefer to buy one used on ebay and save some money.  How have you guys found the sizing?  I've thought about trying one on for size then looking for that brand online.

Thanks again for replying.

Packratt--your race day pictures are awesome

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...