Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30109 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 8:36 PM by 300poundsandrunning Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • avillarr Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010

I have been a bigger girl most of my life...I'm 5'3, wide shoulders, about 165 lbs., and I've always felt like thinner female athletes thought they had a one-up on me because they're skinny. But, fitness isn't about weight. It's about endurance, strength, and flexibility. There have been plenty of times when I have completed runs a lot faster than a girl that weighs 110 lbs. It's nothing to be discouraged about! As long as you are fit and you can meet your goals, don't worry about it. Unfortunately, our society values weight, not fitness. So, show all those runners, skinny or not, that you don't have to weigh 120 lbs. to run!

• Terri714 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010

First, let me say...stop being disheartened.  Did you get into running to make friends or improve your health and your life.?  In my opinion running is a solitary activity, not a group social event. 

With that said.... to answer your question...

Yes. But we're all judged on our looks, and we all judge other people based on their looks.  So I say....get over it. I'm black every single day. Do people wanna hear me whine (that lady looked at my hair funny, that sales clerk is ignoring I'm at the counter while she helps the white lady who just walked up, etc. etc.)  about what that means. No. Do I wanna hear people who are big (which is mostly because of choices they've made) complain that they're judged by their size, and not being accepted? Not really. You're not going to be accepted every where, every day. If it's a big enough problem for you...then lose weight; which it seems you're doing (which you should applaud yourself for, it's hard to lose weight). Just make sure when you're down to a size 6   from all the running (and eating right) that you don't turn around judge the next "big" girl.

Good Luck!!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

@Terri:  hear, hear!  Well said.

If you are self conscious about being overweight you have exactly two choices.  1.  Do the hard thing and lose the weight (yes, it is hard!) or 2. Accept yourself as you are, live a healthy lifestyle, and don't worry what people think.

I'm heavier than the typical runner (about 30 lbs overweight) but I'm fit and can outrun some women who are younger and thinner.  Even so, it doesn't really matter if anyone thinks, "Why is that fat, middle aged woman running?"  The answer I would give them is "why NOT?"

• aimye Rookie 2 posts since
    May 3, 2010

I used to be morbidly obese. I have lost 115lb the past 2 yrs. I am still considered overweight for my 5'3" frame.

I just completed my 2nd 5k. I ran with 3000 other runners. I went there scared out of my mind. My husband who has been a life long runner trained me along with the couch to 5k program. His words to me were "RUN YOUR OWN RACE" don't worry about the others around you. everyone here is trying to run the race. Believe me I checked out all the skinny woman thinking I wish I was them. But in the end this race was for me and no one else.

• fenderleigh Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010

So, when I was picking up my race bib for a race, the girl asked my name. I gave it. She looked and couldn't find it. Asked again to make sure she was checking right spelling. not there. Asked if it could be under a different name. Nope. Finally, she got someone in charge who looked, and didn't find it, then looked in a different box, and there it was. Apparently the competitive runners (timed) are in a different box (and different color bib) and this girl assumed that I had to be a recreational walker. It never occurred to her I was one of the actual runners. Oh well.

• runner3041 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Wow!  Where are you running into all of these rude people?!  I have run dozens  of races (mostly 5k's) at this point in my life and I have never recieved anything but praise and encouragement from runners and nonrunners.  Never have I been made to feel bad about my pace or the reasons why I run!!  Apparently some people never get it or are too narrow minded to get it!  I have always been in awe of anyone who chooses to pin that number to their shirt and run in all kinds of weather to finish a race whether it be a 5k or an ultra!!  So, keep it up-remember- if it's not fun, why run?!

Roadrunner3041

• runner3041 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Yeah, I was told once by a coach with Team in Training that I should remember that less than 5% of the population participates in running races!  That alone should make you feel so good!!  I now use that little tidbit of  info to encourage  the girls I coach in Girls on the Run races!

• aubosox Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009

I have yet to experience any kind of poor behaviour from anyone at a race.......but I am 4 times the size of most runners......

fear has it's advantages

• ClydesdaleRunnin Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 18, 2009

Yea I do sometimes but everyone has been very very supportive.  I just assume when they look at me they a glad they are not as big as I am and like running.  I have been runnning for about 18 weeks now - and I like it but I am I guess what might be considered an Ultra Clydesdale - I am currently at about 310 pounds down 100 pound from 23 months ago when I decided to do something about it.  I had never run and I mean never unless forced to so when I tried it and first found out that I could run and then liked it well how others look at me was not going to stop me.

My Blog is HERE   My DailyMile Profile is HERE   My Buckeye Outdoors Training Log is HERE

Every second and ounce counts  -  Keep the rubber side down!

• ShelbyinMontana Pro 56 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010

Let me first say- I love this thread. There's a lot of encouragment and positive thoughts in it, but also some not so positive thoughts.(ie-taking "barbie down a notch) I would probably be considered a thinner runner, but I don't need to be taken down a notch. If you praise yourself for passing "Barbie" you're no better than the people who said "At least we won't finish last." You're encouraging yourself with negative thoughts about other people. I may be skinny, but there are lots of heavier people out there who run better than I do. Like so many other people have said, how much you weigh doesn't really correlate to how far you can run and how fast your mile time is. In the end you should focus on yourself, not who you're passing and what they look like compared to you. Set goals for your time, or your distance- not how soon you'll pass the skinny person.  Run for yourself and no one else.

Shelby

"Through it all, each morning has patiently asked me, 'Why do you run today?' And over the course of the years, one simple answer has quietly become more clearly heard than all others: because I must."

-Dagny Scott

• Liftingchic Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 15, 2008

I get it all it all the time.. At first is made me sad but Now i love passing the runner who asked if i am walking at races.. As my mom used to tell me all the time, Just because someone is skinny doesnt mean they are healthy or fast.. And the same goes for us bigger people ( i am 240lb )We can be bigger and fast!

Some days it bothers me but Most days i just run it off 

• maryhad2lambs Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010

Some do some don't.  The ones that look at me and make comments about my ability aren't worth my time.  Most are encouraging and just happy to see another runner, no matter what their size.  My first experience with a race volunteer, not a skinny runner.  It took me a long time before I decided to sign up for my first 5K.  When I picked up my race packet the volunteer couldn't find my packet.  She had assumed I was walking and looked in the wrong spot.  At first I was hurt and angry, then I got mad.  In August I ran my first 1/2 marathon and no one made any assumptions (at least not to my face), it was one of the best experiences of my life. 

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009

Having run my first 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago, I now feel very little self consciousness. I passed by thinner runners...thinner runners passed me. But, we all finished 13.1 and that's all that matters!

I think being heavier I'm not going to gain speed until I lose more weight, but I definitely have the endurance. So I try to avoid 5k's right now and do slightly longer runs so I don't feel so pressured pace wise. After doing the half, I definitely feel I can call myself a runner and know that I'm accomplishing something.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• Azlightworker Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 5, 2011

Hello. I may be a few years late on responding to this post, but I think it's very important to stay focused on what is important; that is finishing the race at your own pace.

I fall under the "Athena" group weighing in at 179 lbs and dropping; I just finished a 10k on Saturday 12:15 pace and surprisingly wasn't the last one to come in. I don't care what the faster runners think, I accept them the way they are. I do have a secret to participating in each event I always dedicate my run to a loved one living or deceased and it ALWAYS  gets me through.

Happy walking/jogging/running no matter what size or weight you are!

~A. Fierro

Avondale Az.

• Azlightworker Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 5, 2011

Shelby you bring up a good point

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...