Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

10079 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2010 2:25 PM by lmurray410 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • sprinter7245 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 17, 2008

Awesome thread starter! I haven't done a full marathon yet but I did run a half marathon a couple years ago...My mom was really excited about walking it and wanted someone to train with her. I told her I would run it with her but we would have to train seperately. It was the AFC half marathon in san diego. She was so excited when she crossed the finish line. I met her (since I finished before) and gave her a giant hug. Nobody told me that when I was done I wouldn't enjoy walking for a day or two but I guess thats what happens when you don't prepare well enough (only 4 weeks of training and I had never ran distance before)!

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009

about 2 yrs ago all my SIL talked about was training for a 200mi relay and about how I wasn't a runner (not that I'm a house or anything) so I decided to prove to her (MYSELF really) that just because I wasn't "built to run" so I started to c25k program and quit after a couple weeks and got to hear how "some people just can't run"  that irked me!!!!  So I started the program again and registered for a race to force a commitment...then SHE registered to run MY race!!!!  Now that was motivation...

I did not beat her but I had her in my sights the whole time....beginning of the race I was mad she was there to beat me, at the end I was happy she was there cheering for me.   Then my BIL asked (jokingly) if I was up for the pittsburgh 1/2  and since he wasnt serious I said yes....turned out that the 1/2 was on the same day as my daughters first communion so i had to back out.

I was upset, so my husband stared looking and found the RNR Las Vegas Marathon and said "hey why don't we go to Vegas and you can run the 1/2?"  I didn't really want to wait until december but since its going to be on my 30th birthday I figured why not make it my first 1/2.....until I found another 1/2 nearby and figured that if I could do that in April there would be no way for my SIL to get a 1/2 in before me, if she was doing her first in may( which she ended up bacing out of)!!!!!!

So THEN i decided that if I did a 1/2 in april I should still plan the trip to Vegas for my 30th birthday and do the FULL...now I'm in full swing and have hit 17 miles with 12 weeks left to go!!!!!!  My husband and 5 of our friends will be running the 1/2 that day so the FULL is all me and I will have completed a 1/2 and full before my SIL and have done both by 30 (she's 36).  It started out with me trying to prove to her I was just as capable of her and now owe her the thanks of getting me hooked on that runners high and love pushing myself out of my comfort zone to see what I'm REALLY made of.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009

What a wonderful thread -- so inspiring! Thank you for starting it!

I haven't run a marathon...yet! I started running about a year ago, at the ripe, not-so-old age of 42. I had lost some weight and was trying to lose more and also to get more fit -- partly in order to keep up with my very active son (who will be 5 this November)!  When I started, I couldn't even run for 30 seconds at a 12mm pace. Since then, I've completed 4 races: 3 were 5 K, and one was a 4.4 mile race. I did end up walking a bit in all of them, but I am currently training for the Breast Cancer Half Marathon in Jacksonville in Feb. 2011.  For me, it is a way to show my support for my cousin and a friend who are both battling breast cancer. And it is also a commitment to myself, and to being the healthiest "me" that I can be.

My plan is to do the Half Marathon in 2011 and then do the same race as a full in 2012 -- about 6 weeks after I turn 45!  BTW, I was never a runner in my earlier years, and never understood the appeal until last year. I do still have a love-hate relationship with running a lot of the time -- I hate it until I get into the groove, and then I love the sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    18. Sep 24, 2010 12:19 PM (in response to HelenM2002)
    Re: What motivated you to run your first marathon?

Thank you for starting this thread.  I am considering running my very first full marathon in April of 2011.

I will have completed 3 1/2 marathons by then.  2 10miles, countless 5k's and 4 10k's.

I have been doing a lot of research in regards to training plans and time commitments.  I want to be realistic about what i'm getting into.

Anyway, i've discovered in reading this thread that your reasons for doing it are purely personal.  Which is pretty cool.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as i make up my mind...

• KimberlyHickey Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 24, 2010

great thread started!!  im 25 and started running about 4 years ago and was motivated to run by people telling me i couldn't do long distance.  the more i ran, the more i fell in love with the sport, and the fact that so many people doubted it or called long distance running "crazy" made me try even harder.  its amazing what the human mind can do...even though you are sooo tired at the end of the race, you push through because you know you can!  i only wish people were like this with everyday things.  imagine the world if everyone had the heart of a marathoner.

kimberly hickey

www.mindofarunner.com

• MarathonIn11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 25, 2010

I plan to run my first marathon (I've got a half under my belt) in 2011, fueled entirely by spite over my next birthday. I realize I'll have to train a little, too, but I feel sure that resentment will carry me across the finish line. I know I'm too hung up on my age, so I thought it would be healthy for me to start focusing on another number: 26.2. I'll look to these pages for motivation when things get tough! Stephanie

"How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'". - Martin Luther

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009

Hmmm... good question and I had to think on it.

I started running last year because the doctor said my cholestoral needed to come down.  I was unemployed so I did something that was inexpensive.  I was addicted after my first race.  It was cold, raining but the other runners were supportive.

I did 5K's and a 5 miler last year and wanted to step it up a notch this year.  Even with injuries, I still did a 1/2 marathon in PA back in March.  It was cold, raining and windy (notice a theme?) - but I finished it.  It was great to push myself and see what I could do.

I just finished my first marathon and learned quite a bit in the run.  The main thing - follow my training in all aspects - including hydrating.  I hurt at the end of the race, could barely move for the next 12 hrs and the night was bad on my knees.  BUT... I did it and , for the most part, was excited on how I did.  I may not have met my goals.  I may not have ran the entire thing.  I did however, run the first 14 miles at a 10 minute clip.  I did beat my 1/2 marathon time by 10 minutes and I finished!  I am already planning next year's run as well as how I can improve.

This year, I was motivated to raise funds for St. Jude's Hospital.  With kids of my own, I wanted to help other kids get better.  I wanted to make a difference.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front):  I'm pissed off.

I needed to start exercising to improve my health.  I used to lift weights and things like that, but lifting takes a lot of time and it really is hard work.  Progress comes slowly and regression way too quick.  I didn't like to run.  I wasn't a runner.  I have a football/baseball/hockey body, not a runner's body.  I decided running would be a good thing to get into but I needed a goal because running just for the sake of running didn't seem like a "swell" idea to me, so I decided about the longest term goal I could set for myself to accomplish that would keep me running would be a marathon.

Over the past 3 years I've signed up and started training for the Marine Corps Marathon, and for the past 3 years something has happened (work and/or injury) that caused me to have to postpone and transfer my bib.  Before it was, "Oh. wouldn't it be cool to do a 26.2 miler with about 35,000 of my closest friends, get the t-shirt and the finisher's medal and run around some of the best sights in DC?", but now it's turned into, "$*^&%$@+!  I'm gonna do this $*#&@)_+! marathon if it #*$&%($ kills me!"  (told you I was pissed). 

I finally accepted the fact that for whatever reason, I'm snakebit when it comes to the Marine Corps Marathon so I signed up for another one in Northern Georgia in mid-November and am 1/2 way through the training program for that.  So far, so good.  During the last 3 years, I've slowly become a runner.  I'm a runner by choice, not design, and I'm ok w/ that.  I have found that my most favorite races are the long distance team relays, with 1/2 marathons and 10 milers close behind.  I was also christened a "true" runner during one of the relays when I had to grab the baby wipes from the van and head to the woods shortly into my last leg of one of my relays.

I'm not one for "good enough" or "just to finish".  I'm training to do the best I can and get the best time I can.  I've developed the mentality that I'm going to go to this marathon not to merely survive it, but to get it in a headlock and make it squirt tears.  I'm gonna whip its arse.  Of course it's going to take me about 4-4.5 hrs. to do that, but when I'm finished with it, that marathons' gonna remember my name.    With all that being said, I think this marathon will be my last because the training committment is too much for me.  I'm up by 3:00 a.m. every weekday morning to meet my training schedule I found on Runner's World website before work, and up by 4:00 on the weekends for the easy run on Sat. before the fam starts rolling around and Sunday to beat the sun and the heat for my long runs now.  It's cooled down nicely now, but 3.5 hrs. + is still a long time to run so I have to knock it out early.

The good news is after these early morning 10 milers with hills before work, when I hit a day when I only have to do an "easy 5", I'm not only happy to see it, but I know that once my race is over, this is a distance I can keep running and still keep the health thing going.  I'm going to do this race because I've already committed to it and have decided to do A marathon.  After that, at least I can say I accomplished that goal and settle back into the 200 mi. relays, 1/2s and 10 milers again.

Another thing I've learned is how to appreciate a good soak in an ice bath after any runs longer than 10 miles now.  Sit in the empty tub and THEN run the water and add the ice, and it makes the transition a little easier.

• Cindy1962 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2010

My daughter is 25 years old and has never been a runner.  She works for BCBS of Tennessee and in January 2010 she told me someone at work wanted a group of them to start running.  Not only start running but start training for a 1/2 marathon in Nashville, Tennessee on September 25, 2010.  In March she starting running, working out, even leaving the house @ 4:30 in the morning before work to go to a spinning class.  I was amazed. She continuing training all summer working toward her goal as the weight began to fall off of her. About six  weeks before the 1/2 marathon, she started getting pains in her ankle.  When she went to the doctor the week before the marathon he told her it was peroneal tendonitis but that didn't stop her.  She did the marathon that she had trained all year for and I could not be more proud of her.  She posted this on facebook.  I wanted to share it.

My first half marathon

by Heather on Monday, September 27, 2010 at 9:11pm

"The answer to the big questions in running is the same as the answer to the big questions in life: do the best with what you've got."

On Saturday, September 25th at 7:00 AM in Nashville, I started something I never thought I'd ever agree to do. I started taking my first steps in a half marathon. Best of all? I finished it.

I went through so many different emotions during the 13.1 miles and I can't even begin to pinpoint which mile I felt each one, but it was definitely an emotional rollercoaster. I read the first 7 miles were pretty hilly and I expected some, but the hills we encountered were a few too many! Around the 4 mile mark, I was ready to walk, but I didn't. I kept on pushing. At that point I was feeling a bit of defeat and I was not even a third of the way through the miles. The live music they had at some of the stops as well as people with signs saying things like "You can do it!" "Don't stop, people are watching!" and kids holding up signs that said "Run, mom, run!" (which was freaking adorable.. especially when I got to see the mom they were talking about running by and giving them a quick high five) helped me push through it. On top of that, my dad, stepmom and youngest sister were there along the sidelines at a few places to cheer us on and take pictures.

At the turn around point, mile 7, I heard someone yelling "You've got this! This is the last hill.." The thought that the last hill of the half marathon was the one I was climbing brought joy, I was happy thinking I wouldn't have to somehow get myself up another hill. I didn't know how I was going to get through the rest of the miles, let alone another hill if I had to run up another one. There were more hills. At mile 11 I started to lose it, didn't know how I was going to pull 2 more miles out of me and I thought my legs were going to fall off. I'd never ran over 10 miles and I was taking on a hilly 13.1, how did I think I was going to pull off an extra 3.1? I didn't know. I felt like Dori in Finding Nemo, except I wasn't saying "just keep swimming", it was "just keep running, just keep running.."

I came up on mile 12 and the tears came back, but I sucked it up and told myself I could do anything for a mile. I told myself I could run the rest of the distance until I saw THE hill. The hill they tossed right before the finish line. The hill I thought wouldn't exist because I heard someone say around mile 7 that was it. I was mad. I cursed that hill. I focused my gaze on the ground as I moved up it telling myself, literally, outloud, "I think I can, I think I can. I think I can." Once I reached the top and saw the mile 13 sign not too far away, I took off. No speed walking, no walking, I wanted to finish strong. I felt like I was running with cement blocks on my feet. My thighs and calves were on fire and all I wanted was an ice cold water. Or Gatorade. Or Diet Coke. And I wanted to get my running shoes off more than anything. I wanted to cry when I turned the corner and saw the finish line, but I held it together.. until after I crossed the finish line. Joy, pain, sadness and anger. I've never felt a combination of those emotions within a short period of time, but Saturday morning I felt them all and sometimes all at once.

I went. I ran. I conquered. Haha! Don't ask me why I run, ask yourself why you don't.

• debitsandcredits Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    24. Oct 4, 2010 10:15 PM (in response to Cindy1962)

Haha I really have no idea why. I guess I thought I never would do it, but thought it was possible and a great excuse to get back in shape.

I started running just over a year ago and just finished my first one. I finished in 4'18' but really fell apart during the last 6 miles. Overall, it was a hell of an experience! Loved (almost) every minute of it and can't wait till I'm able to run again (I'm a bit sore yet!). I know with some training I can go sub 4' so thats my goal for next time around.

The most suprising thing about it for me what how supportive other runners/fans are, what a great experience!

• GF77 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010

I started running about a year and 3 months ago, somewhat on a whim to start trying to get in shape.  Up to that point, I never considered myself a runner.  Somehow, over those next couple of months, I realized that I had actually started to LIKE running.  On top of that, combined with healthier eating, I had lost roughly 40 pounds in about 4 months.  Then a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to join him in running a half marathon, and I agreed to it.  The half marathon was just a couple of weekends ago, and I'm happy to report that I not only finished it, but I finished it strong and with a better time than I'd anticipated.  My ending time was 1:50:09.

So, a year and three months ago I was overweight and I could barely run more than a half mile.  Now, between eating healthier, running and other exercises, I'm down a total of nearly 60 pounds, at my ideal weight for my height, and as of a week and a half ago I just completed my first half marathon.  It was such an amazing experience that I can't even begin to describe it.

Just a few days ago, I signed up for a full marathon.  Its not until next Fall because the local Springtime marathon is at a bad time for me with grad school, but I wanted to get myself officially registered for the Fall and mark it on my calendar as my next big incentive.  In October 2011 I plan on being able to say I crossed the finish line for 26.2 miles, and that's definitely something I never would have expected to be saying!

• Pelón Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

I'm just getting back into running after a 23 yr hiatus, at least with any regularity.  I never thought I could run a marathon but I didn't think my knees would hold up to 20 miles a week either   I'm doing a half in March and Portland in Oct.  It's one of those accomplishments that makes me tingle to think about doing.  I was a cyclist as a kid and the elation from finishing my first century was the biggest rush.  Just thinking about running across the line next year gets me through the mental blocks.  I figure if I survive I'm still doing better that Pheidippides!

• schizoidman Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009

I will be 55 years old in January 2011. I will be running my first marathon, Phoenix Rock N' Roll, that month. 6 years ago, I was 50 pounds overweight and had high triglycerides, so I changed my eating habits and started working out in the gym. Most of the time I used the eliptical machine. I never thought I could run again because of knee problems. I lost the weight but needed something more to keep me motivated. In 2009, the city sponsored a sprint triathlon to be held in August. I decided to try it and started training in January on the indoor track. At first, I had trouble running a mile and couldn't swim more than 1 lap without resting, but but by August I was ready. I had a blast doing the triathlon and surprisingly wasn't even sore the next day. I was hooked. I did two more sprint triathlons that year and planned to move up to longer distances this year and planned some longer road races as training. Prostate cancer put me out of commission for about 4 months this year, so I am a little behind my schedule, but I will be ready for the marathon by January. One of the things that motivates me is seeing the age groupers running at the Kona IronMan World championships. There is a 77 year old woman and an 80 year old man who qualified for and finished the IronMan a few years ago. If they can do that, I should be able to do a measly marathon. I eventually want to do a 1/2 IronMan. Who knows? I may eventually do a full IronMan (while I am still young).

• KrisWenzel Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010

Loosing weight motivated me to run.  Watching the movie Spirit of the Marathon motivated me to want to run a marathon.   If you are interested in my sixteen month journey, and want to see pictures of the Detroit Marathon, check out my blog . So far it has received positive comments.

I do hope you enjoy.

Kris.

http://gorunagain.blogspot.com

GoRunAgain - Experience running from the point of view of one who has rediscovered the sport. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm surely more passionate!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    29. Oct 21, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to KrisWenzel)

I had been running for several years and doing about 10 races a year.  Doing a marathon had been in the back of my mind, and coming off a pretty good half in the fall, I figured if I didn't do one in the next year I never would.  So I looked around for what was nearby.  Philly didn't have a marathon at the time, so it came down to New York or Marine Corps (neither was hard to get into back then).  Marine Corps was easier logistically - my aunt lives about 3 miles from the start - so that's where I ended up.  This year will be my 16th MCM (not consecutive) and I've done a sprinkling of others.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...