Skip navigation

47928 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 Previous Next
  • angie vinson Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 26, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

I was glad to hear others say the course was hard. This was my first half and I found it very difficult. I loved running with the other women. I loved the medal. I thought there should have been cold water at the end and better food choices. I will do this event again if the course is changed.

• DToomey57 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    31. Sep 26, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought it was very organized...I have nothing negative to say.  I loved everything about it and will sign up again for next year.  Yes it was tough but I am so proud for having finished.  All the volunteers were great and I thanked as many as I could all along the course.  Receiving the medal at the end by having a member of the armed services putting it around my neck was awesome too!

• JuliaLowe Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    32. Sep 26, 2010 11:26 AM (in response to Guest )

Enjoyed the race.  Same as other comments about the huge hill on mile 12.  That was definitely not a fun way to finish the race.  No one in our group was able to wear their shirts because they were so short.  Also had to wait a long time at many water stops due to water not being ready. 

My biggest thing that I hope is changed and paid attention to at this race and any of their other events it medical staff being immediately on hand at the finish line.  That is where people push themselves and bad things happen.  I have no idea what happened to the woman that collapsed, but it took incredibly too long for help to get to her in my opinion.  I am hoping to find out that she is ok, but I have yet to find anything that says so. 

• Canadian girl Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2008
    33. Sep 26, 2010 11:26 AM (in response to Guest )

This course was BRUTAL ! But .... I loved the challenge !! I will definitely do it again though it would be nice if it weren't quite so expensive . The goody bag and food after was not worth the price of the race. The medal is very nice but still too expensive for a Half !

• fmuccini Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    34. Sep 26, 2010 11:35 AM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the event. It was well organized. The staff was supportive, particularly the bikers who were following the runners. I agree with the comments about the last mile, but overall it was a typical, challenging course. I will definitely do it again next year.

• GloriaJMH Rookie 1 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    35. Sep 26, 2010 11:41 AM (in response to Guest )

The good, bad, and ugly.

Good:  pre race registration, communication, medal with pop out, volunteer cheerleaders, fun attmosphere.

Bad:  too many hills, lack of sufficient medical services and trained personnel.

Ugly:  death of runner due to the lack of sufficient trained medical personnel.  It took so long to get medical attention that her brain was without oxygen beyond the survival time.

• Sarah B Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    36. Sep 26, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed this race much more than this year's Country Music 1/2. The low number of participants and time clocks at every mile marker made this experience much more enjoyable. The mile 12 hill made my training in East Tennesse worth it. I was glad to see a difference in the course compared to the Country Music 1/2. I will definitely participate in this event again.

• 31Gifts Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    37. Sep 26, 2010 11:54 AM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this experience. This was my first half so I didn't know what to expect, the 12 mile mark was horrid since I was on my last little bit of energy. Hope they change that next year. I felt the race was very well organized and LOVED the support coming from everyone

HATED that the Renaissance was the featured Hotel, too expensive for not having a Refrigerator in the room....Seems that would be basic since even motel 6 provides one! Def will NOT ever stay there again!!!

• janabrazzle Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2010
    38. Sep 26, 2010 12:13 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 marathon.  It seemed to be very organized.  I love the metal, the shirt and especially appreciated my name on my bib.  It really encourages you when you hear people saying your name.  The bands were excellent!  The BEST was having someone from the military in uniform placing our metals around our necks.  They understand the real meaning behind a metal.  I was shocked by the last hill at mile 12, especially when so many people were telling us it's all down hill from here.  I wish there was some way to been able to have really cold drinks a the end of the race.  I will definetly do it again, I will have to mentally and physically be more prepared.  All that was done to make this event possible, I say thank you.

• TraceyHines Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    39. Sep 26, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to Guest )

I agree with many that this course was a bit more challenging than the CMM, which was my first half marathon.  That being said, I knew what was coming and couldn't act surprised when I had to run back up over that bridge at mile 12.  I ran my race and was proud...very proud of my accomplishment.  The clocks at the mile markers were a huge PLUS!  I was so happy I could control my speed and keep it consistent mile to mile. 

Check-in was efficient and easy, the hotel was more than accommodating and easy access to everything needed, and the volunteers, water stations, medical teams, etc. were wonderful.  I would run this race again next year.  Thank you!

• rebecca63 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    40. Sep 26, 2010 12:24 PM (in response to Guest )

It was great if you trained for it. If you like hills then you will like it.

• gpowellnashville Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    41. Sep 26, 2010 12:29 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 marathon - I loved it!  The course was very hard, I was glad there were so many water stations.  The volunteers were great, very encouraging.  I LOVED the guy who was the 2:30 pace leader - he kept me going.  Also, the clocks at every mile was a great way to stay on pace.  The live music was great.  I liked the shirt and medal. 

On a negative note, the food at the finish line was terrible.  I've done quite a few 5K's and they have had better food than this.  There was nothing cold to drink either.

Overall with a few tweaks (mainly the food) I would do this race again next year. 

• Sharon Pustejovsky Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    42. Sep 26, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon.  It was appropriately challenging - I appreciated the Striders helping at the Expo and making sure I was running at the right pace.  Because I didn't overdo it with speed, I was able to finish feeling pretty good! 

I was very impressed with how organized and well-thought out this marathon was.  I loved the goodie bag and medal/necklace charm, too.  I was lacking for nothing.   The port-o-johns had plenty of toilet paper and the outdoor sinks were great.  It was comforting to know that there were so many stations with water, gatorade and even energy gels at one point.  The volunteers were outstanding, and encouraged me throughout the race, as well as the bystanders.  Everyone was positive and encouraging and the whole tone throughout this race has been welcoming and helpful.  The cookies, muffins and fruit and bottles of water were a nice touch at the end.  I am looking forward to seeing my photos taken by the photographers and I'm also waiting to see my "official" results posted.

This is a half marathon that I look forward to doing again, every year if possible.  Thanks again.  You all were great! 

• Halanders Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    43. Sep 26, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought it was a great, well organized event.  The course was very challenging I must say.  I enjoyed seeing all the women out there supporting the cause.  The race was intended to remember those we have lost or to praise those who have fought and won the battle of cancer.  Job well done Nashville!

• Sandie Stanley Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    44. Sep 26, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to Guest )

Enjoyed this race!  Great support from the volunteers and staff all throughout the race, plenty of water stations and always stocked, I've been in other races where they run out before I get there (I'm a slow runner).  Hills...well it's Nashville so I thought the course was fine, being from Nashville I've been in many other races where the hills were much worse but if you're not from around here or can't hill train I can see where this course would have been a real challenge...that being said it's also not a simple course because well...there's some hills but you can't avoid them in middle TN.  Food at the end of the course was not anything to speak of, about what you'd expect at a not well known 5K but it's something they could improve on each year.  I'd do the race again, same course and all! 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...