Skip navigation

44674 Views 209 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 7:25 PM by cpweaver RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
BigGirlsTri Expert 59 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2005 11:42 PM

Plus Size Triathlete

Hello everyone!!

I'm training for a Triathlon for June or July of 2006.  I am a plus size athlete still losing weight.  I am 40 pounds lighter on my way to my 100 pound weight loss goal.  I decided to do a Triathlon now instead of waiting until I lose the weight. 

I start private swim lessons today with a guy who does and trains people for Triathlons. I started weight training last week.   Have been taking spinning classes now for 5 months and can do the 90 minute class without dying now.   I'm scared about the run the most.  I will be doing a 5K this month and next and spend time on the treadmill at the gym.

My question is have any of you done this as an overweight person?  Where can I find plus size triathon gear?  Is Eric Harr's Triathlon training book a good one to read and train with? I don't have a lot of money, can I do this without a lot of personal training?  Is this realistic or should I wait until I lose more weight? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm gonna Tri,

Melissa

"I only have good and great days." -Lance Armstrong

• KenMierke Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 3, 2005 12:15 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)
    Re: Plus Size Triathlete

Congratulations on your incredible progress!  I have a booklet called Lean for a Lifetime: An Athlete's Guide to Losing the Last Ten Pounds which I will be happy to send to anyone who emails me at CoachKen@erols.com  My wife and I have lost a combined 160 pounds using these methods, which work with your body instead of fighting it.  The key is eating in a way that fuels your muscles for workouts, but doesn't fuel your fat cells. 

You might check out my book the Triathlete's Guide to Run Training or my video about running technique, Evolution Running: Run Faster with Fewer Injuries.  Both are available at www.Fitness-Concepts.com 

The best advice I can give you is be patient and enjoy it!  Enjoy the training process and being fit, but let weight loss be a fortunate byproduct, not the focus.  It will continue to be a slow process, so don't be in a hurry.

Good luck and be proud of yourself!

Ken

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 3, 2005 1:17 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Congrats! You've got the right idea: don't wait until you're a stringbean to race, race to become fitter. Anyways, I've found that it is easier to find XL, XXL tri gear than it is to find something to fit me (5'10 140lbs). Don't fear the run, walk if you must. As for personal training, I'm self-coached and trained. I regularly finish in the top 5%, almost always place in my age group, and sometimes win it. Knowledge is key, and if you don't have a lot of money (I'm poor too) a $20-$30 book and a library card is all you need to learn about the science of training. I recommend "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel and "Triathlon Training" by Michael Finch. Active's boards are a good resource as well. For your first tri, focus on finishing and comfort. Don't worry about lightning fast transitions, being at the very front of the swim start, and taking corners fast. That stuff comes later. Have a blast, talk to people, you'll definitely make some friends.

• 218008407 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 20, 2005 1:31 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Have your cake and eat it too, metaphorically speaking that is of course.  Lose weight and do the race.

My wife started off walking, then jogging to the corner, then farther.  A few years later she is doing sub 4 hour marathons.

Don't get hung up on the gear.  Whatever you buy now will not really fit you in a few months anyway.

Not that you asked but for myself I went psycho and really toned up.  I only work out 1-2 per week BUT I do not eat ANY sugar.  I cut it all out.  I won't eat a cookie, Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pie.  Nada.  My kids make me a cookie that says love you on it; I won't eat it either.  At little kids birthday parties, I wont eat their cake.  In the last year I have had 3 M&Ms (I was damn hungry), and 1 bite of cheesecake (a girl begged me to eat it.  I'm weak).

BTY, dont get too bummed out when swimming seems hard.  I swam in HS and had a really hard time after not being in a pool for 10 years.  Put in the yards.

• sogr82cu Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Oct 24, 2005 4:29 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

There is a great book called "Slow Fat Triathlete".  Can't remember the author's name but...her first name is Jayne.   It is quite hysterical and it talks about her journey into the triathlon sport being a "big girl."

Anyway...good for you and good luck!!

• Brad Shump Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Oct 26, 2005 11:36 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

What kind of bike did you get??

I have just lost alomost 50 pounds on my way to over 100 and have my first 5k coming up too.  It is so much fun getting into shape and not feeling fat and tired all the time. My ultimate goal is also to do a triathlon in 2006.  Keep up the good work!!!

www.aerotechdesigns.com has some big sizes for bike shorts and tops

• debywh Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Oct 26, 2005 12:52 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

This summer I did my first sprint triathlon. I have lost over 100 pounds and have been running for almost two years. I borrowed a bike from my daughter, and mixed and matched what I needed for clothes. The only things that I did buy was a water bottle for the bike and a helmet. I didn't want to invest money until I knew if I would like the sport. Now I am excited about next year and doing some better training. Just go with what you have. There will be people there with better and worst stuff then you have and there really is no uniform for the sport. It is fun if you can find someone to race with so you have some one to help you set up and share the experience with. Also if you have a chance check out the course before hand it sure helped me to know where to go and what the course looked like. Good luck you can do it cause I did.

• sogr82cu Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Oct 26, 2005 6:56 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Hey...the author of the book "Slow Fat Triathlete" is Jayne Williams.  It is super easy reading and quite comedic!! 

Congrats to all who have lost the weight you have!!  It took me 2 1/2 yrs to lose 27 pounds!!  My only goal is to NOT be a couch potato.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Nov 3, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Hi;

Congrats on your success and pursuing your goal.  The September and November issues of Bicycling magazine had some articles about larger cyclists and how they are using cycling to improve their health.  As for gear (clothing) they mentioned AeroTech, Perfomance, and Mt. Borah.  They should have web sites.  You said you live in the Midwest, there is a sprint distance triathlon in central Iowa in early July, the Cornman.  They also have an Athena division.  I checked out your bike, good choice to get started, decent trail bike.  Might be geared a little too low for racing with a 48 tooth big chain ring.  Road bikes have a 52, 53, or even a 54 tooth for the upper ring.  Keep riding while the weather holds (it's in the 70's today) and start saving up for the road bike you will want to get after you do a couple of these.

• krisatl Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Nov 3, 2005 3:24 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Keep your eyes and ears open for someone who would be willing to sell an extra bike that they may have. Cyclists can be known to purchase new equipment often, so they might have a gently used bike. I got a one year old KHS road bike for $300. It was $800 new and is in great condition. Good luck.

• betacode Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Dec 1, 2005 9:18 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Melissa,

Welcome to the club! You will find 98% of triathletes will embrace you and not only help you but cheer you on.  I call myself a Super Clydesdale @ 6'3 and 350lbs I am usually the biggest out racing. I have done about 8 races including 2004 Escape From Alcatraz (for race overview and pics go to www.betacode.com ) This year I go for ironman Flordia. All I want is under 17 hours and a tattoo(When I complete the goal   Triathlon is a great sport with great people (spectators, volunteers, and racers.)  You are going to feel great when you complete your first race. 

Best of luck and let us know how it's going,

-Adam

1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...