This is a fun race, especially with all the other Homecoming events going on! Courses in Missoula are pleasantly flat and I had one of my best 5k's, according to the time that the volunteer called out at the finish.
I'm rating this 5 stars and I love the fact that the UM track coach started this tradition. It seems to be getting more popular, so I'll add a few suggestions that would make it even better in my opinion!
(1) Post the correct map on Active.com. Spelling "Homecoming" correctly would help people find it too!
(2) Promote it more on the University and athletic dept. websites. (It was hard to find on montanagrizzlies.com.)
(3) Have a clock at the finish. Just a smallish digital timer would be adequate.
(4) Running into the stadium and around the field was fun, but not necessary. The tailgating crowd was already building around the stadium and there were too many opportunities for collisions. Pedestrians had no idea there was a footrace going on. Perhaps routing the course partway up Campus Drive and winding back through campus somehow (avoiding the immediate stadium area) might be easier to manage.
(5) I think starting the race earlier at 9:30 would still provide parade atmosphere, since a crowd is already building along the route, while beating some of the stadium area congestion. Runners would have time afterward to walk back to the parade route and watch some of it, if they wish.