Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1199 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2010 7:35 PM by sailor-rider
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2010 11:33 AM

Event Reviews

Share your experiences with this event below Back to event details page.

• alewis46 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 5, 2008
    1. Sep 26, 2010 11:33 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

Another great event by the We Promise Foundation!  It was a well marked and safe course.  If you're looking to do a Century ride, I definitely recommend this event.  I can't wait for next years!

alewis46

• psycathena Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2007
    2. Sep 26, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first century and I trained all summer for it with the two people I entered with. The volunteers were very nice and the route was generally easy to navigate. I was a little disappointed that we seemed to be the only first timers, meaning...non B pace riders in the event. Not sure if that is typical of smaller charity rides, but I thought there would be more beginner riders since it was a small race. We finished last and although we finished 1.5 hours before the time limit, the organizers wanted to close the rest stops early since we were the "only" ones left to finish. He was nice enough to stay near to make sure we could access food and drinks if we needed it...but we were reminded over and over and over again that we were the last finishers for the century. Not exactly the most pleasant thing to hear after an extremely challenging ride for us that, by the way we did finish. Our goal was to finish, and we achieved that and to have them repeatedly tell us we were last was insensitive. So, I'm sure they meant well, but I learned that this isn't a good first timers event.

• gen1f69 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    3. Sep 26, 2010 1:20 PM (in response to Guest )

An excellent event!! The route was easy to follow, the bridge was certainly a challenge!! Light winds and weather couldn't have been much better!! Great support at all the stops, all those smiling cheerful faces mean a lot when you're pedaling a hundred miles!! I will definitely be back next year with all of my friends for such a great cause!! Thanks to everybody that made this event possible!!

• lovesgoinghome Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2010
    4. Sep 26, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time riding in ANYTHING like this. I must say, it was quite the event. I only did the half century, but I had a blast! I was one of the crazy ones who did the course on a mountain bike. More than one person told me I was crazy for doing that. Everyone one was extremely helpful and supportive though. I did kill an hour waiting for my flat to get fixed, but for me it wasn't about time, it was about THE time I had on the course, which was unforgettable. I totally plan on participating again next year.

• skgroup76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    5. Sep 26, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a really well organized and fun century.  There were great food/water stops marked out perfectly every 12.5 miles and food and free massages at the finish!  The organizers took pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing them on the website.  There was a nice mix of riding levels represented and it seemed like everyone had a good time.  Also, there was a nice police crossing guard at the busiest intersection we crossed.  I'll be back next year!

• Hunter7276 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    6. Sep 26, 2010 4:28 PM (in response to Guest )

Excellent Event. I look forward to seeing this event grow. Great course, well marked, and plenty of support. Every single rest stop had icy cold water and Gatorade, that's a logistical achievement in itself! Can't wait to be involved again next year and support a truly worthwhile organization.

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    7. Sep 27, 2010 5:08 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the 2nd year for this ride and unfortunately I did not know about the first one.  The staff was wonderful, the ride well planned, just would like to see (2) things next year.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches always seem to at most rides that I participate in and portable toilets.  Other than that I rate the event very highly and thanks to all of the supporters, the staff and well, just everyone.

Thanks again for a great day.

• sailor-rider Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    8. Oct 7, 2010 7:35 PM (in response to Guest )

Great event; the SAG support was terrific and the rest stops were well sited.  All the staff were cheerful and helpful; just what we needed with the rising wind and heat.  The gates along the Dismal Swamp Canal road should have been fully opened to prevent injuries.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...